Windows 10: Tab key is not working properly

Discus and support Tab key is not working properly in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Keyboard and tab key are working fine, but tab is acting differently. I guess i might have changed some setting through some short cut, since i did... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by help_719, Apr 11, 2020.

1. help_719 Win User

Tab key is not working properly

Keyboard and tab key are working fine, but tab is acting differently.

I guess i might have changed some setting through some short cut, since i did not explicitly change any setting with the GUI.

Set focus with mouse to the text box and pressing tab in terminal's vim, word, visual studio works fine, it indents 4 space.

The problem is pressing tab in browser's search bar will set focus to another button, etc.

e.g, i click with mouse on the the url bar with the website and now it highlights the text in blue.

Now pressing tab will set focus to this "text box" where now i am typing my question, then tab again set focus to button, checkbox.

Here now typing under 'Ask a Question' pressing tab does not indent 4 space but set focus to the

option box below "Post a question", "Post a discussion".

The same problem does not only occur on all browsers but all windows' GUI any where that can type, text box.

e.g, in file explorer pressing tab in directory address sets focus to another object, in windows search, while renaming files.

It should always indent 4 space after i set focus on the text box with my mouse.

Please help me, i can't find any answers online.

:)

help_719, Apr 11, 2020

2. Tab key stopped working

Hi Don,

To resolve your issue, follow the steps below:

• Press and hold Alt-key.
    • Press 0 0 9 on the numeric pad.
    • Release the Alt-key.

This is the alternate method of getting a TAB character.

Let us know if you need further assistance and we will be glad to help.

Acelyn Alc, Apr 11, 2020
  3. Keyboard not working properly

Hi Yvan,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I understand you are facing difficulties as your keyboard is not working properly. I will assist you with this issue.

First of all, I would suggest you to install all the latest updates released by Microsoft from Windows Updates and check if that helps or not. And to update your drivers, please follow the steps and let us know if it helps fixing the issue or not:

Open Device Manager by pressing Windows key + X, click on
    Control Panel; select System and Maintenance.

• Click on Device Manager.
    • In Device Manager, locate Keyboard and double-click to check if it’s working properly.
    • Go to Driver tab, then click on Update Driver. And follow the instructions.

Let us know if this fixes your issue or not, we will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Sagnik_Chakraborty, Apr 11, 2020
  4. Tab key is not working properly

Numeric key on my laptop doesn't work properly

Hi Mohammad,

Hardware issues is one of the possible reasons why your number keys on your laptop is not working properly. To ensure that this issue has nothing to do with the apps running on your computer, we suggest that you perform a clean boot. To do this, simply follow
    the steps below:

• From Start, search for msconfig.
    • Select System Configuration from the search results.

Tab key is not working properly 4013453_en_1.png

• On the Services tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then tap
      or click Disable all.

Tab key is not working properly 4013455_en_1.png

• On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click Open Task Manager.

Tab key is not working properly 4013456_en_1.png

• On the Startup tab in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then click Disable.

Tab key is not working properly 4013457_en_1.png

• Close Task Manager.
    • On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click OK, and then restart the computer.

Should you have further questions, please let us know.

Jefferson Ore, Apr 11, 2020
Thema:

Tab key is not working properly

1. Tab key is not working properly - Similar Threads - Tab key working

2. Alt tab not working properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Alt tab not working properly: When i press only alt and tab at the same time it brings up the task view which shows all the desktops instead of only the windows i have open. My windows button has also stopped working and only when i press windows button+alt+tab does it show the normal alt tab view. How do...
  3. Alt tab not working properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Alt tab not working properly: When i press only alt and tab at the same time it brings up the task view which shows all the desktops instead of only the windows i have open. My windows button has also stopped working and only when i press windows button+alt+tab does it show the normal alt tab view. How do...
  4. Alt tab not working properly

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Keys and key shortcuts not working properly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keys and key shortcuts not working properly: I am using windows 10, and since the last update, the x and z key aren`t working properly. i can only press them when i am pressing another key simultaneously. also every time i try to use ctrl+c and ctrl+v, it does not always work, needing me to press a couple of times for...
  6. TAB Key not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    TAB Key not working: Hello I recently was switching out keys for my keyboard and for some reason my TAB key was set to qwerty[. My guess is that since I my keyboard was plugged while I was inputting new switches it somehow change the settings for my keyboard and now my TAB key is layed out as...
  7. Keys not working properly

Keys not working properly: I have hp envy x360 convertible, but few \keys are not wor\king properly. whenever I press "k" I get "\k" and long press results in "\kkkkkkkkkkkkk" and on pressing "k" with shift for capital letter I get "K" and long press with shift results in "K" same is the case with...
  8. Tab key does not work properly

Tab key does not work properly: Every time I press the tab key and wait 5 seconds, the screen always "freaks out" the same way. When i hit tab, it opens random things and it always writes "wtfd" in the text field. it also rolls down the screen. This problem lasts about 10 seconds in total. the problem may...
  9. Tab key not working

Tab key not working: Tab key doesn't work at all even if i plug in a different keyboard that i know has a functioning tab key. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/tab-key-not-working/1160554c-0d5a-4139-bca9-aafa57290d6a
  10. keys not work properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    keys not work properly: why my volume rockers buttons and brightness buttons doesn't work in my dell inspiron 8gen. windows 10 laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/keys-not-work-properly/ca70ed83-d65f-46a0-bd2e-5357b081c2a6