Windows 10: Tab key not working

Discus and support Tab key not working in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Tab key doesn't work at all even if i plug in a different keyboard that i know has a functioning tab key.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Dkotraba, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Dkotraba Win User

Tab key not working

Tab key doesn't work at all even if i plug in a different keyboard that i know has a functioning tab key.

:)

Dkotraba, Aug 26, 2020

2. Tab key stopped working

Hi Don,

To resolve your issue, follow the steps below:

• Press and hold Alt-key.
    • Press 0 0 9 on the numeric pad.
    • Release the Alt-key.

This is the alternate method of getting a TAB character.

Let us know if you need further assistance and we will be glad to help.

Acelyn Alc, Aug 26, 2020
  3. Hellopaul Win User
    Using the tab key to hop between text fields highlights all buttons

Hello,
    Whenever a dialog box pops up in Windows 10, if it contains text input fields and clickable buttons/radio buttons/checkboxes, pressing the tab key steps through every single item in the dialog box, which is very annoying and, to me, pointless. Do I recall that there might be a way to limit this behaviour so the tab key only highlights text input boxes, and not every single element? I can't find anything useful in Windows 10's Settings/Control Panel - am I missing something or is this not possible?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Hellopaul, Aug 26, 2020
  4. Arun B J Win User

Tab key not working

Keyboard shortcut Alt key not working

Hi,

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better.

• Since when are you facing this issue?

• Did you make any software or hardware changes on your computer prior to this issue?

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: You may check if the ALT key is functioning correctly in on-screen keyboard. It will help us to verify if there is any issue with the keyboard.

Follow the steps below to open On-screen Keyboard.

• Windows + Q, type OSK (on-screen keyboard)

• And check if it works
    Step 2: Run Hardware and device Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your devices. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Aug 26, 2020
Thema:

Tab key not working

1. Tab key not working - Similar Threads - Tab key working

2. Window + Tab key combo not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Window + Tab key combo not working: When trying to use this combination it will open up the menu that the windows key brings up, both keys still work and Alt + Tab still works along with Windows combinations, just not Windows + TabI use windows 11...
  3. Window + Tab key combo not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Window + Tab key combo not working: When trying to use this combination it will open up the menu that the windows key brings up, both keys still work and Alt + Tab still works along with Windows combinations, just not Windows + TabI use windows 11...
  4. Tab Key?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Tab Key?: Hi EveryoneI have a problem with my laptop, it seems that the Tab Key is constantly being pressed, it doesn't happen all the time and only happens after i have been using the laptop for a while, removing the tab key does nothing and it usually stops after a few seconds, i...
  5. TAB Key not working

TAB Key not working: Hello I recently was switching out keys for my keyboard and for some reason my TAB key was set to qwerty[. My guess is that since I my keyboard was plugged while I was inputting new switches it somehow change the settings for my keyboard and now my TAB key is layed out as...
  6. Tab Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tab Key: If i want to use my tab key i need to hold down my shift key it happend today can u help me please. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/tab-key/f30d61af-4dc8-49f0-9c56-78c809cf60e5
  7. Tab key no longer working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Tab key no longer working: Hello, My HP computer went through a Windows update last night. Now, the Tab key no longer works. It doe not work for my physical keyboard and it also does not work for the on screen keyboard when I pull that up and try that. Running trouble shooter found no problems....
  8. Tab key does not work properly

Tab key does not work properly: Every time I press the tab key and wait 5 seconds, the screen always "freaks out" the same way. When i hit tab, it opens random things and it always writes "wtfd" in the text field. it also rolls down the screen. This problem lasts about 10 seconds in total. the problem may...
  9. TAB key not working - detailed question

TAB key not working - detailed question: Hello So I bought new Razer Huntsman Elite keyboard and it worked perfect until windows update week later. After this update TAB key stopped working. I have looked after few solutions like "ALT+0,0,9" - "Ctrl+1", but nothing had helped. Drivers are all updated with...
  10. Tab key is not working properly

Tab key is not working properly: Keyboard and tab key are working fine, but tab is acting differently. I guess i might have changed some setting through some short cut, since i did not explicitly change any setting with the GUI. Set focus with mouse to the text box and pressing tab in terminal's vim, word,...