Windows 10: Tabbing back into fullscreen games takes forever

Discus and support Tabbing back into fullscreen games takes forever in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi, So I have laptop with specs that should run most games perfectly fine: i7 8gb ram (2 4gb cards) nvidia 970m 1tb hdd 7200rpm But... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by AdaJones, Aug 16, 2017.

1. AdaJones Win User

Tabbing back into fullscreen games takes forever

Hi,

So I have laptop with specs that should run most games perfectly fine:

i7
    8gb ram (2 4gb cards)
    nvidia 970m
    1tb hdd 7200rpm

But recently (may have began after a windows 10 update but i cant remember) my comp has been taking huge amounts of time to tab out and especially to tab back into fullscreen games. I would say on average it takes about 30-45 seconds to tab back in which if you actually imagine clicking to tab back in and waiting that long, causes huge issues. I cannot remember exactly when it started but I don't think there was an issue when I was last at college so maybe 3 or 4 months ago. It would tab in and out in a second or two.

It may be helpful to also note that i notice specifically for csgo, that when I tab back in it will go black for a long time, then show the frame of when I initially tabbed out for a bit and then work.

Also, specifically for h1z1 kotk, I no longer load in at the start of the games. I now will load in around the time when most people are reaching the ground which has caused me to stop playing h1z1 all together.

I am not looking for a solution such as playing in modes other than fullscreen (windowed, etc) since I have a good comp and should not have to do that to begin with. I have many friends with weaker specs (i5's, lower gpu, etc) who do not have this issue but also do not have an SSD.

I have ordered an SSD but I honestly would like a fix other than that if anyone has any ideas. I've seen this question posted in a lot of different places but haven't found a strong answer.

:)

AdaJones, Aug 16, 2017
  2. Austin.L Win User

Issues with brightness and mouse

Original title: Alt+Tab ignores fullscreen?

I have been using windows 10 since I got this new computer and it has worked perfectly fine. Until the anniversary update recently. I play games in fullscreen and I usually alt+tab pretty often to look at other things in chrome and such. It was always a
    slow alt+tab on a black screen like it should be, but now it is an instant alt+tab like my game isn't fullscreen. This sounds great, sure, but it causes a lot of problems with things now.

My first problem is that some games I play have the brightness / gamma raised in game so I can see better. When I alt+tab the brightness carries over to my desktop which makes it very bright on my eyes. When I then alt+tab back in the game it removes the
    brightness setting completely in game which I then have to reset back to what it was. This happens every time I alt+tab, which is often.

My second issue is mouse delay. Fullscreen doesn't cause mouse delay (not sure the reason behind it, but it doesn't). But now, since it doesn't seem to think my game is in fullscreen anymore I have a lot of mouse delay as if I am in windowed borderless mode.
    I've tried changing my settings off and back on to fullscreen and such but it does not fix it.

Thanks ahead of time.

Edit: It is also not just one game, it is every game / every program.

Austin.L, Aug 16, 2017
  3. Black screen after starting a game

Since i upgraded to Windows 10 about 3 days ago i wanted to play a game,started and instant black screen on fullscreen sethings in game.With all games that are on fullscreen,i tried to unplag hdmi from GPU and plug in back and then its okey,alt+tab again
    black screen.I don't know what is the problem,Windows 10 or GPU.Intalled latest GPU drivers,rolled back ,and still the same problem.

StefanKojovic, Aug 16, 2017
  4. Dude Win User

5. swarfega Win User
    Tabbing relies a lot on hard drives and not just memory as one would think. So if you have a slow spinning hard drive, tabbing would be a lot slower than if you had an SSD for example.

Games take up a lot of resources so you would expect them to take longer because they are resource intensive.

I would give Dude's suggest a go and see how you get on with that. It negates the need to alt-tab.

swarfega, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Tabbing back into fullscreen games takes forever - Similar Threads - Tabbing fullscreen games

2. Taking forever

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Taking forever: I am the owner of an Acer Nitro 5 which meets what is needed to upgrade to windows 11. For the past 2 weeks I have been checking on the update and security and all I get are update for defender and so on but i have not been able to get the upgrade. And yes I did to the health...
  3. Taking forever

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taking forever: I am the owner of an Acer Nitro 5 which meets what is needed to upgrade to windows 11. For the past 2 weeks I have been checking on the update and security and all I get are update for defender and so on but i have not been able to get the upgrade. And yes I did to the health...
  4. Taking forever

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Update is taking forever

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update is taking forever: Hello, there was a system update for my Dell windows 10 laptop. When I updated it, it's been 4 hours already but it's still at 24%? It's not stucked, but it takes around 15 minutes every additional 1%. What should I do? submitted by /u/ngcy00 [link] [comments]...
  6. Can't tab back into games

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't tab back into games: Hi, I'm having an issue where I launch a game, it opens briefly, then goes back to desktop. The game is still running in the background --> I try to tab back into the game --> the screen goes dark and the game shows for a second --> then it goes back to desktop I can't...
  7. Weird alt-tab out of fullscreen games.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird alt-tab out of fullscreen games.: So recently i have been playing rainbow six siege a lot but my experience has been kind of ruined by this weird alt tab that keeps happening. It usually happens when i flick fast and click. I think my cursor somehow does something even tho its fullscreen and ive been testing...
  8. Tabbing In and Out of Fullscreen Games takes a Long Time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tabbing In and Out of Fullscreen Games takes a Long Time: Hi, So I have laptop with specs that should run most games perfectly fine: i7 8gb ram (2 4gb cards) nvidia 970m 1tb hdd 7200rpm But recently (may have began after a windows 10 update but i cant remember) my comp has been taking huge amounts of time to tab out...
  9. Unable to Tab out of Fullscreen Games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Tab out of Fullscreen Games: Hello, When I had Windows 7 I was able to press the Windows key to tab out of Fullscreen Games and Applications. With Windows 10 I am unable to tab out of Fullscreen Games and Applications. Is there a setting or something that I am missing? I have tried everything, Please...
  10. Startup takes forever.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Startup takes forever.: I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and since then my PC (HP Envy i7) takes approximately 5 hours to boot. This really is frustrating. Please assist in resolving this issue. 37156