Windows 10: tablet going to sleep instead of turning off screen

Discus and support tablet going to sleep instead of turning off screen in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I use a Lenovo Miix tablet as a "kiosk". The tablet hangs on a wall, and never goes to sleep - but it turns off the screen after 1 minute inactivity.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by aag, Aug 1, 2015.

1. AAG
    aag Win User

tablet going to sleep instead of turning off screen

I use a Lenovo Miix tablet as a "kiosk". The tablet hangs on a wall, and never goes to sleep - but it turns off the screen after 1 minute inactivity. Touching the screen should light it up immediately.

All this worked wonderfully with Windows 8.1. After the move to Win10, touching the black screen does not light it up. It seems that Win10 puts the tablet to sleep, although the power options are clearly set to "Sleep: NEVER".

I wonder whether others have experienced this buggy behavior, which is inconsistent with previous Windows versions, and whether there is a workaround.

many thanks in advance

:)

2. y_PoR& Win User

How to play movie sound when the computer screen goes to sleep?

Hello,

I have an Asus T100HA tablet and i use it without the keyboard.

I was able to make the power button only turn off the display, instead of putting the tablet on sleep mode.

My goal is to play videos while the screen is off so i can hear only the sound.

When I play videos on Kodi- the screen turns back on after I turn it off.

When I play videos on "movies & tv" - the video stops playing when i turn the screen off.

Is there a way to control how an application react to the screen?

Or prevent an application from accessing the screen's status?

Thanks!

Original title: Windows 10 tablet- playing movies while the screen is off

y_PoR&, Aug 1, 2015
  3. hongrn Win User
    Windows 10 goes to sleep too fast

I turned off tablet mode, but still didn't work. All the settings were set to never sleep, don't sleep, don't you dare sleep, no screen saver, no tablet mode. My laptop will stay on and not go to sleep, but as soon as I put it to sleep so I can do other
    things, it will revert to going to sleep every 2 minutes. To prevent this, I restart the laptop. So, in Windows 10, there are 2 settings: Never Sleep, and Sleep every 2 minutes. And I constantly get asked the questions whether I wish to recommend W10...

hongrn, Aug 1, 2015
  4. mkdr Win User

The power toggle options seem to have a bug, nice how this made it into final build, huh? I already noticed this before on insider build and reported it about a two months ago. Another version of this bug is, that for example if you set monitor off to never and sleep to x minutes, the tablet stays on forever, and never goes to sleep.

Welcome in Windows as a (never-ending) beta.

mkdr, Aug 1, 2015
  5. AAG
    aag Win User
    Aargghhh! I was going totally crazy, thinking that it's me who is doing something stupid - I couldn't imagine that such an essential service would be buggy.

So, essentially this means that I will be wasting electricity on an always-on touchscreen until this is fixed. That's more than a bummer...

6. AAG
    aag Win User
    I was wondering whether anybody has any additional input on this issue. It seems incredible that this is not fixed or fixable. Particularly since Win8.1 behaved as advertised.

7. Colink Win User
    i have spent hours today trying to solve this including on chat and call with Windows.

i have a program which should run 24/7, it connects to Internet every 45 seconds
    it goes to sleep after screen shuts down
    i have teamviewer host installed, it logs out after screen shuts down

power settings are set to turn off cup never
    i did not realise that power button was set to sleep, it is now set to do nothing

the only difference now is, team viewer shows logged in at all times, but when I connect I get a black screen then a connection error.
    my other app is still going to sleep (it has a counter that stops incrementing)

i downloaded a stopwatch app, hoping it would keep things active. Stop watch keeps active but no help to other apps.

Coffee seems not to work in win 8.1, so presumably not 10.

Any suggestions?

Colink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. tablet going to sleep instead of turning off screen - Similar Threads - tablet going sleep

2. My laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery dies

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery dies: my laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery is dead https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-turns-off-instead-of-going-to-sleep-when/782d4191-7f46-415a-aaf8-6c78d4b9820a
  3. My laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery dies

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    My laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery dies: My laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery dies https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-turns-off-instead-of-going-to-sleep-when/440f5619-851c-48e2-8c2c-f2bfe5bfed9d
  4. My laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery dies

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery dies: My laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery dies https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-turns-off-instead-of-going-to-sleep-when/440f5619-851c-48e2-8c2c-f2bfe5bfed9d
  5. My laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery dies

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Computer turning off instead of going to sleep

Computer turning off instead of going to sleep: Hi, so I've been having an issue for a few weeks now where when my computer should be going to sleep both manually and by going idle, it instead just shuts down. Here is a post I had made on Reddit describing the issue between the dotted...
  7. Computer turning off instead of going to sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer turning off instead of going to sleep: Hi, so I've been having an issue for a few weeks now where when my computer should be going to sleep both manually and by going idle, it instead just shuts down. Here is a post I had made on Reddit describing the issue between the dotted...
  8. Computer turning off instead of going to sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. Laptop turns off instead of going to sleep or worse

Laptop turns off instead of going to sleep or worse: Hello. Ever since one of the more recent windows updates my laptop (Lenovo) does not go to sleep when I close the lid or leave for a few minutes. It is set to 'sleep' in Settings (30 mins on battery and 60 minutes when plugged in) but if I leave for just a few minutes it...
  10. Computer shuts down instead of going on sleep, and when it turns off by itself it's...

Computer shuts down instead of going on sleep, and when it turns off by itself it's...: Does anyone know how to solve a problem I keep having on my laptop - every time I press sleep, it shuts down (meaning I lose everything I had open) and every time I leave it on for more than 10 minutes without use, it shuts down also - since I can't press the sleep button as...