Windows 10: Tablet UEFI firmware not detecting Windows 10 Ed. bootable USB

Discus and support Tablet UEFI firmware not detecting Windows 10 Ed. bootable USB in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm trying to install Windows 10 Education on a 10-inch tablet running Insydeh20 rev 5.0 firmware. Unfortunately, I don't have a make or model for this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by FrozenSea, Mar 4, 2018.

1. FrozenSea Win User

Tablet UEFI firmware not detecting Windows 10 Ed. bootable USB

I'm trying to install Windows 10 Education on a 10-inch tablet running Insydeh20 rev 5.0 firmware. Unfortunately, I don't have a make or model for this tablet. I think it was given to my brother-in-law in school in Mexico, but beyond that I'm not sure. Since I don't know the system specs, I'll include some images that hopefully shed some light.

Tablet UEFI firmware not detecting Windows 10 Ed. bootable USB [​IMG]

The serial number on the back is: WINTBC17041391

Before I attempted any installs, I disabled Secure Boot (although I have since tried booting with it turned back on), and either way, I still don't see the USB as a bootable device.

When I boot, I hit Esc to access the boot menu and select Boot Manager

but the USB drive is not present.

I used Rufus to write the windows ISO to my flash drive. The ISO is called:

Here's a screenshot of the settings I used:

To test the USB drive, I tried installing GParted to it using the same settings in Rufus, and that does show up in the Boot Manager menu, and I can boot into GParted.

So I'm really not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any help is greatly appreciated!

:)

FrozenSea, Mar 4, 2018
  2. Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Mar 4, 2018
  3. NebulaPlayz, Mar 4, 2018
  4. FrozenSea Win User

Replying to add a few more UEFI screenshots:

Let me know if you need screenshots of the other menu pages in the BIOS/UEFI

FrozenSea, Mar 4, 2018
  5. Does the tablet support 64-bit OSes? I would try the 32-bit Win10 ISO.

PolarNettles, Mar 4, 2018
  6. FrozenSea Win User
    I can run the 64-bit version of GParted, so I'm assuming it does support 64-bit OSes.

FrozenSea, Mar 4, 2018
  7. I'm assuming you mean the GParted live-USB. That has both 32-bit and 64-bit bootloaders in the image. Out of curiosity, does it still boot if you delete the \EFI\boot\bootia32.efi file?

PolarNettles, Mar 4, 2018
  8. Bree New Member

There is a simple and reliable way to make bootable Windows install media on a USB without the aid of Rufus, all done with native Windows commands. You make an mbr partition, formatted to Fat32 and (if you want it bootable in legacy as well as efi) the partition should be marked as Active. Then just mount the .iso and copy all the files and folders from the mounted .iso (a virtual DVD drive) to the USB.

To prepare the USB, use Diskpart. In this example the USB is disk 1, use LIST DISK first to find the number of yours.

Code: Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.16299.15 Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. DISKPART> LIST DISK Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- --- Disk 0 Online 465 GB 0 B Disk 1 Online 7634 MB 0 B DISKPART> SELECT DISK 1 Disk 1 is now the selected disk. DISKPART> CLEAN DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk. DISKPART> CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY diskPart succeeded in creating the specified partition. DISKPART> SELECT PARTITION 1 Partition 1 is now the selected partition. DISKPART> FORMAT FS=FAT32 QUICK 100 percent completed DiskPart successfully formatted the volume. DISKPART> ACTIVE diskPart marked the current partition as active. DISKPART> EXIT[/quote]

Bree, Mar 4, 2018
  9. FrozenSea Win User
    It looks like the GParted live USB is running the 64-bit Linux kernel.

Anyways, I'll try deleting \EFI\boot\bootia32.efi.

FrozenSea, Mar 4, 2018
  10. FrozenSea Win User
    PolarNettles, my iso does not have the \EFI\boot\bootia32.efi file.

Bree, when I try to run the "ACTIVE" command in disk part, I get this message:

Do I need to set the partition table to MBR?

FrozenSea, Mar 4, 2018
  11. Bree New Member
    Do I need to set the partition table to MBR? You are using the same USB as you used before with Rufus, which set it to a gpt partition. A gpt partition cannot be marked active, only a mbr one.

Did you miss out the CLEAN command?

The Diskpart command CLEAN should have removed all partition table information from the USB, the next command CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY should then have created an mbr partition table and a single partition using the whole USB. Format that to Fat32, mark it Active and copy the files from the mounted iso to the usb. That should be bootable in any machine.

12. FrozenSea Win User
    I ran the CLEAN command, as seen below:

FrozenSea, Mar 4, 2018
  13. FrozenSea Win User

I tried creating an MBR partition table with GParted, then I followed your instructions in Diskpart to create the FAT32 partition, and copied the contents of the .iso onto the USB drive.

I'm still not seeing the device in the Boot Manager menu.

FrozenSea, Mar 4, 2018
  14. Kari Win User
    I have a tablet with somewhat newer Intel Atom CPU than your tablet, based on if I read the model correctly in your screenshot in post #2. Although these tablet Atom CPUs are x64 based, they can only run 32 bit Windows. I have experienced exactly the same than you, not being able to boot the device from 64 bit Windows install USB, having no issues with 32 Windows install media.

I am quite convinced that your issue would be resolved simply by creating a 32 bit USB media and booting from it.

15. Bree New Member
    That's odd, I used the commands for real to generate my earlier post. I repeated them having first converted the usb to gpt. They were sufficient to wipe all info and return the usb to an mbr layout.

Try adding the command CONVERT MBR immediately after CLEAN.

edit: I've managed to make my usb behave like yours. This time I used diskpart (instead of MiniTools Partition Wizard)to convert it to gtp before testing my commands. Repeating them with the CONVERT MBR command added successfully set the partition as Active at the end.

Thema:

1. Tablet UEFI firmware not detecting Windows 10 Ed. bootable USB - Similar Threads - Tablet UEFI firmware

2. Bootable usb not detecting windows on my pc

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bootable usb not detecting windows on my pc: My pc is stuck in an infinite boot and will restart while it’s saying preparing system repair. So I made a bootable usb with media creation tool and it boots but for system restore it says restart this computer and select and operating system but it gives me no prompt to do...
  3. MBR bootable usb in UEFI!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MBR bootable usb in UEFI!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,A moment ago I changed from Legacy mode to UEFI mode so I've Windows 10 bootable MBR USB, will it work on UEFI or need to convert USB to GPT?...
  4. MBR bootable usb in UEFI!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MBR bootable usb in UEFI!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,A moment ago I changed from Legacy mode to UEFI mode so I've Windows 10 bootable MBR USB, will it work on UEFI or need to convert USB to GPT?...
  5. MBR bootable usb in UEFI!

6. Bootable Windows install USB devices UEFI

Bootable Windows install USB devices UEFI: Hi there there's definitely a problem on some older computers with UEFI boot if the iso file is > than 4.5 GB. Up to that the file system is FAT32 and computers will boot OK. If greater than that then NTFS appears to be forced and some computers won't boot . I think the...
  7. Bootable USB detection issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bootable USB detection issues: I own a Micromax Canvas Laptab LT666W currently running Windows 10 20H2. The touchscreen and audio device has stopped working (not due to hardware issues to the best of my knowledge), so I am trying to do a fresh OS install using a bootable USB drive. I tried the following...
  8. Cannot reinstall Windows 10 from bootable USB on an UEFI laptop

Cannot reinstall Windows 10 from bootable USB on an UEFI laptop: I recently changed my hard-disk and need to reinstall Windows 10. I have downloaded the Windows 10 ISO using the Media Creation Tool and using Rufus, made a bootable USB from it. But unfortunately, the system is not booting from it. I am using a 16gb pendrive. In Rufus, I...
  9. UEFI usb windows 10 detected as legacy

UEFI usb windows 10 detected as legacy: I have a dell latitude, i disabled secure boot uefi, i downloaded windows 10 1909 and used rufus to create usb bootable device with GPT uefi, and ntfs (the only options avaible) But when i go to the boot loader with F12, my usb is detected as an uefi device ! what can i do...
  10. Windows 10 bootable USB has 2 UEFI patitions?

Windows 10 bootable USB has 2 UEFI patitions?: Apologies if this is the incorrect forum for this but I was unsure where best to post this. I've created a Windows 10 bootable USB using Rufus in order to do a clean install of Windows but when accessing the Windows boot menu I have multiple options to choose from and was...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win 10 tablet uefi usb boot