Windows 10: Take backup on Windows 10, and nothing else?

Discus and support Take backup on Windows 10, and nothing else? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hello World I want to make a backup of Windows 10 Home (and nothing else, just the operating system) to an external device of any kind. The idea is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by drond, Jun 10, 2018.

1. drond Win User

Take backup on Windows 10, and nothing else?

Hello World

I want to make a backup of Windows 10 Home (and nothing else, just the operating system) to an external device of any kind. The idea is that I want to try installing Ubuntu (Linux) on my computer. Dual Boot is no solution. As I want, I want to have full power over the hard drive, I want to format, partition and play around without having to take into account any recovery partition or similar to the computer. However, I do not want to discard my Windows 10 license, I want the ability to reinstall Windows 10 when I want to.

What's the smartest way to go?
    The computer is a Asus laptop without dvd-drive, more specifications are probably unnecessary as I think this is a software-based task.

How should I do when I want to reinstall Windows 10?

:)

drond, Jun 10, 2018
  2. Bokenzhe Win User

Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

Question

• Take backup on Windows 10, and nothing else? [​IMG]

Applies to

5 views Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

My backup stubbornly refuses to run. I can't run the initial backup, therefore the file history backups don't run either. This has been an ongoing problem for quite some time. Suggestions I've received have not worked so far. Following is the problem
    and the failed resolution attempts:

• I get this message from the Event Log:

Unable to scan user libraries for changes and perform backup of modified files for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID - 201

Level: Error

User - System

*** ---- There is no config file at this directory location. The contents of the location are:

catalog1

catalog2

config1

config2

• In another thread from July, someone suggested checking a particular service (I forget the name just now) is running. It is.

• Two days ago a Microsoft employee suggested the following steps. These steps resulted in no change, still no backup:

KA

Karthicka_R replied on

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to start and stop the services “Windows backup” and “volume shadow copy” and check if it helps.

• Press “Windows+R” and in the run command box type “services. MSc”.
    • Search for the service “Windows Backup” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not, click on “OK” button. I suggest you to stop and start the service again.
    • Once done again search for the service “Volume shadow copy” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not. I suggest you to stop and start the service again, click on “OK” button and
      check whether you can perform backup successfully.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

• I performed these steps multiple times. The backup still crashes, with the same error message. In addition I collected the following error message, but only one time:

Unable to start a backup cycle for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID: 200

• Can anyone help me with this stubborn problem?

Thank you in advance.

Bokenzhe, Jun 10, 2018
  3. Changing Destination Drive for Backup in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if this helps:

• Press Windows key.
    • Type in Backup and Restore.
    • Under Backup or restore your files select set up backup.
    • Once the set up starts you'll get an option to choose the destination drive.
    • And then follow the onscreen instructions.

For additional information refer to the link below and check if this helps:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/backup-and-restore-in-windows-10

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Andria Maria Mendez, Jun 10, 2018
Thema:

Take backup on Windows 10, and nothing else?

1. Take backup on Windows 10, and nothing else? - Similar Threads - backup nothing else

2. One program, nothing else

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One program, nothing else: I have a charity who bought a new windows 11 laptop. I want to set up a log in profile that will open only 1 program on startup and restrict the user to that program only. Nothing else at all.Is this possible?...
  3. One program, nothing else

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    One program, nothing else: I have a charity who bought a new windows 11 laptop. I want to set up a log in profile that will open only 1 program on startup and restrict the user to that program only. Nothing else at all.Is this possible?...
  4. Windows 10 update stuck on loading circle and nothing else

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update stuck on loading circle and nothing else: Hello,My PC has been stuck in a Windows 10 update for an hour now. It started with the blue screen and the percentage but now it’s stuck on a black screen with a blurry and stretched loading circle. It’s been like this for an hour now. Help is greatly appreciated. Thank you....
  5. microphone only works in skype but nothing else

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    microphone only works in skype but nothing else: Hi there, I am having a problem with windows recognizing my microphone. As the title suggests it can not be used for any application other than Skype have tried with Zoom, Camtasia, Audacity, and Discord. I am using an AT202 mic and a Behringer interface. They both appear...
  6. Disgraceful windows 10 backup taking forever to complete

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disgraceful windows 10 backup taking forever to complete: How I hate MICROSOFT, their system is so DUMB AND SO ****. This backup never took more than 1 hour, nothing has changed, today this garbage is taking more than 5 hours already!!! EVEN IF I CAN'T FIND THE SOLUTION FOR THIS ISSUE, AT LEAST I RANTED AGAINST THIS GODDAMN...
  7. PC screen turns on but does nothing else.

PC screen turns on but does nothing else.: Windows 10 home (with latest updates) On our other PC. I believe that something went amiss during the virus scan over night. This morning the PC was off when we normally do not shut it down. After I pushed the start button, the screen came on but nothing else worked. I...
  8. My games are lagging but nothing else

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My games are lagging but nothing else: Only my games are lagging and none of my apps or browsers are lagging in the slightest... any help?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-games-are-lagging-but-nothing-else/75290fb3-eff4-4642-a1af-3cdea218cf18
  9. windows 10 downloading driver- screen on but nothing else works

windows 10 downloading driver- screen on but nothing else works: Windows 10- downloading driver /screen is on but nothing works https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-downloading-driver-screen-on-but/523cf2c7-f195-46da-ace8-d8600cc9725b
  10. Desktop background is only displayed and nothing else

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop background is only displayed and nothing else: Hello all, I am having a problem with windows. I was recently having some problems with widows 10 so I had the bright idea to Rest my PC using the options in the settings. I then chose to "Keep my files" as I have documents that I would like not to be deleted. So I let...