Windows 10: Take care when using UUIDs for partition moving etc etc

Discus and support Take care when using UUIDs for partition moving etc etc in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks just a warning - particularly when moving / re-arrainging partitions which use a UUID for mounting e.g Linux fstab I spent a fruitless (off... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Aug 17, 2019.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Take care when using UUIDs for partition moving etc etc

Hi folks
    just a warning - particularly when moving / re-arrainging partitions which use a UUID for mounting e.g Linux fstab

I spent a fruitless (off and on) 3 hours trying to fix a system where I'd moved the /mome partition

in the /etc/fstab I had UUUID= in stead of UUID=

It's really easy to miss these sorts of errors !!!!

sometimes in VM's rather than re-install the OS you might want to move the / and /home (or any other partitions) -- I got a larger SSD for some VM's and rather than re-install the OS's I was messing around with partition management. Macrium works brilliantly to "Clone" the OS's to larger devices (virtual disks in this case)) -- but the fun part now comes with moving / re-allocating. It's not as easy as windows !!!!! but doable.

Anyway a decent learning experience - but to save other people time -- do take care and check the partition UUID's carefully !!!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Aug 17, 2019
  2. FX-GMC Win User

Move Win7 64 image from a partition NTFS to a new drive

EDIT: After reading your first post again, is there any reason that you would now need GPT? Are you just trying to move the windows install to a new disk or is there a new motherboard involved?

If you are already booting to an NTFS partition, then it makes me wonder if after copying to the new drive, the partition isn't getting marked as Active.

Following the same steps I posted above for startup repair, you can get to a command prompt and use diskpart to see if this is the case.

Code: In the command prompt: diskpart list disk select disk 0 (disk number may be different if you have other disks connected.) list partition select partition 0 (partition number number may vary, but you want to see the boot partition which is the same as your windows partition according to the screenshot on the OP) detail partition (This should have Active: Yes or No. If it says no, since we have the partition selected, you can just use the following command in diskpart) active[/quote]

FX-GMC, Aug 17, 2019
  3. W1zzard Win User
    W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Aug 17, 2019
  4. trog100 Win User

Move EFI partition

its to enable win 10 to update to its anniversary edition.. it cant do this due to lack of C drive space i have had a quick try with the trial version of easus.. it didnt seem to be able to do what i want..

i am assuming i cant just delete the efi partition but maybe i could.. as yet i havnt even figured out how to get into the bios of the thing.. maybe that should be my next step.. *Smile Take care when using UUIDs for partition moving etc etc :)

diskpart could probably do it but figuring out how (it aint that user friendly) might be difficult without step by step instructions..

trog

trog100, Aug 17, 2019
Thema:

1. Take care when using UUIDs for partition moving etc etc - Similar Threads - care using UUIDs

2. Windows Trojans/worms/Bad CAs/useless apps, etc, etc, etc......

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Trojans/worms/Bad CAs/useless apps, etc, etc, etc......: Hello. First off, Don't give me this use your Virus scanner ****. Windows is full of **** that can be exploited and lately the hackers have upped their game. They all over the net and they are ALWAYS one step ahead by nature.I have no doubt i had/have a some type of "hack",...
  3. Microphone issues when using Skype, Zoom etc.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphone issues when using Skype, Zoom etc.: I recently few months ago got a 2021 HP Envy 14, and everything was working fine until I installed a Window's Update on the 5th of October. It updated some drivers and ever since then there has been issues with the microphone. When I call on Skype or Zoom, and even when I...
  4. Microphone issues when using Skype, Zoom etc.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microphone issues when using Skype, Zoom etc.: I recently few months ago got a 2021 HP Envy 14, and everything was working fine until I installed a Window's Update on the 5th of October. It updated some drivers and ever since then there has been issues with the microphone. When I call on Skype or Zoom, and even when I...
  5. Microphone issues when using Skype, Zoom etc.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Windows cannot access etc. etc.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows cannot access etc. etc.: Am running WIN 10 Home with latest updates. When I try to access a programm, WorldNavaids, I get the following message. Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item. I have, in the properties section...
  7. Windows Defender and McAfee Internet Security etc. etc. etc.???

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender and McAfee Internet Security etc. etc. etc.???: Hello. First of all, on a scale from 1 to 10, my computer skills are about 3+/-. So be gentle please. I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. My IP gives me free McAfee Internet Security with my plan. I see so many conflicting views regarding the idea that all one...
  8. Icons are missing EVERYWHERE! Explorer etc etc

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icons are missing EVERYWHERE! Explorer etc etc: I TRIED EVERY STUPID THING IN THE ENTIRE INTERNET. - Right CLick refresh on desktop (no) - Delete icon cache and every IconCache.db ****. (no) - revamp the last WIN Update (didnt worked) - installed the latest update (didnt work) - use "cleanmgr.exe" to remove...
  9. microsoft account, lost password, locked PC, etc. etc. etc.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    microsoft account, lost password, locked PC, etc. etc. etc.: I have Windows 7 so had no idea how screwed up this could get. I've googled this for 3 hours and the simplest of answers will never be provided. No one seems to be able to think thoroughly on this. My 90 yr old dad has a hosed PC. It now has his login screen associated...
  10. Relocating Documents etc to another partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Relocating Documents etc to another partition: I'm setting up a new laptop on Windows 10 for the first time, and I want to move Documents, Pictures, Downloads etc to another partition. I've had problems in this area on previous Windows versions so want to make sure I do it correctly. Let's say I create a new folder...