Windows 10: Take ownership of file getting Access is denied error

Discus and support Take ownership of file getting Access is denied error in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi Experts I am getting a Access is denied when running the below command on two of the files. I am running CMD as administrator.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Xander Kuhn, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Take ownership of file getting Access is denied error

Hi Experts

I am getting a Access is denied when running the below command on two of the files. I am running CMD as administrator.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>Takeown /r /f C:\Windows\CSC

SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\Windows\CSC" now owned by user "XANDER\xande".

SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\Windows\CSC\v2.0.6" now owned by user "XANDER\xande".

SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\Windows\CSC\v2.0.6\namespace" now owned by user "XANDER\xande".

INFO: Access is denied. ( "C:\Windows\CSC\v2.0.6\pq" )

INFO: Access is denied. ( "C:\Windows\CSC\v2.0.6\temp" )

Please advise how I can take ownership. Even when using the normal right click on the folder via properties I am not able to take ownership of the files.

:)

Xander Kuhn, Jan 9, 2019

2. Denied access to files

Nforce2 > nvidia.com. There you find drivers.

As for accessing files, take ownership.

DanTheBanjoman, Jan 9, 2019
  3. Getting Access Denied Error When Trying To Rename A File.

Hi Denise,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To have better clarity on the issue, answer the below-listed questions and get back to us.

1. Since when are you facing this issue?
    2. Were there any changes made to the computer prior to this issue?
    3. Do you get this error when modifying all the files and folders or a particular file or folder?

Meanwhile, try the below methods and see if this helps.

Method 1: Take The Ownership Of The File/Folder.

I suggest you to follow the section Issue 1: I receive an "Access Denied" error message when I try to access or work with files and folders from

"Access Denied" or other errors when you access or work with files and folders in Windows
    restart the computer once after following the steps, and check for the issue.

Method 2: Turn Off User Account Control.

Note: User Account Control (UAC) is feature that helps prevent malicious programs, also known as 'malware', from damaging a system. UAC stops the automatic installation of unauthorized applications. UAC also prevents unintended changes to
    system settings. If you have to disable this feature or option for any troubleshooting reason, then please enable it as soon as the troubleshooting is done. A security risk may result by using administrative credentials to run an unknown program. Only run
    programs that you trust as an administrator.

Step 1: Press the Windows key and the
    R
    key from your keyboard and type Control and hit
    Enter

Step 2: Select Small icons from the View by category and click on
    User Accounts > Change User Account Control Settings.

Step 3: Then, change it to Never notify by sliding down the slider,
    restart the computer once after making the above changes, and check for the issue.

Give it a shot and let us know of any changes.

If my answer has helped, then please upvote or mark as an answer.

Shafeeq_Khan, Jan 9, 2019
  4. Take ownership of file getting Access is denied error

For some reason, I'm getting this weird "EXTRA" folders and files to which I'm denied access. What is the possible reason that this is happening?

Hi Yashaswi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing. I will certainly help you with this.

An "Access Denied" error message can occur for one or more of the following reasons:

• The folder ownership has changed.
    • You do not have the appropriate permissions.
    • The file is encrypted.
    I would suggest you to refer the below Microsoft article on ""Access Denied" or other errors when you access or work with files and folders in Windows" and see if this helps in resolving the issue.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2623670

Note: Steps for Windows 8/8.1 applies to Windows 10 as well.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

ThofikhAhamad, Jan 9, 2019
Thema:

Take ownership of file getting Access is denied error

1. Take ownership of file getting Access is denied error - Similar Threads - ownership file getting

2. TrustedInstaller Access Denied when taking ownership

in Windows 10 Gaming
    TrustedInstaller Access Denied when taking ownership: So I'm running Windows 8.1 Enterprise and wanted to get windows 10 so I decided to change to try and change to windows 8,1 professional. However, when I tried to change the product key in Registry Editor, I required permission from TrustedInstaller. I decided to look up a...
  3. TrustedInstaller Access Denied when taking ownership

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    TrustedInstaller Access Denied when taking ownership: So I'm running Windows 8.1 Enterprise and wanted to get windows 10 so I decided to change to try and change to windows 8,1 professional. However, when I tried to change the product key in Registry Editor, I required permission from TrustedInstaller. I decided to look up a...
  4. Taking ownership of program file folder Access denied

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Taking ownership of program file folder Access denied: [ATTACH] I was having issue with ownership/permission while I am developing using new language. Currently, my program file's owner is Trustedinstaller. I would need to change ownership so I can modify controls... but kept getting access is denied. I changed my user folder...
  5. Trying to take ownership of Content.IE5 - Access is denied

in Windows 10 Support
    Trying to take ownership of Content.IE5 - Access is denied: I'm trying to take ownership of a shortcut to: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c get_iplayer_web_pvr.cmd When I try, I get: Code: SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe" now owned by user "ELLIOT-PC\kingm". processed file: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe...
  6. Folder access denied and Take Ownership fails

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder access denied and Take Ownership fails: Hello, I have been dealing with an issue lately not being able to access the files from an external drive. That drive contains the windows 10 files that I had on my old pc. I have tried many methods of trying to take folder ownership and it keeps failing, error messages...
  7. Taking ownership of a file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taking ownership of a file: Some time ago a had file that required only one click to take ownership of another file. I would just right click on the file I was interested in and select "take ownership." It would then make a change in the registry and give me addess to that file. Does anyone here know...
  8. Tried taking ownership of a drive but access denied

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Tried taking ownership of a drive but access denied: I typed a command in administrator Command Prompt icacls "full path of folder or drive" /setowner "user name" /T /C Because I wanted full access and ownership of my drive, so I followed this fourm Change Owner of File, Folder, Drive, or Registry Key in Windows 10 |...
  9. Tried taking ownership of a drive but access denied

in Windows 10 Support
    Tried taking ownership of a drive but access denied: I typed a command in administrator Command Prompt icacls "full path of folder or drive" /setowner "user name" /T /C Because I wanted full access and ownership of my drive, so I followed this fourm Change Owner of File, Folder, Drive, or Registry Key in Windows 10 |...
  10. Folder Access Denied - OK after 'Take Ownership' - but ... why ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder Access Denied - OK after 'Take Ownership' - but ... why ?: Got an Access Denied error on 1 specific folder. 1) went through [Run] lusrmgr.msc steps then also 2) went through secpol.msc steps error still remained 3) applied "Take Ownership" registry setting and took ownership of the folder. Everything is okay now....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 access denied trying to take ownership

2. take ownership files access denied

3. take ownership of directory access is denied

4. csc change owner access denied,
  5. take ownership access is denied,
  6. takeown registry