Windows 10: take ownership of hard drive

Discus and support take ownership of hard drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi guys, I've been denied access on an external hard disk so I tried to take ownership but it won't let me do it. It says it is unable to set new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Cal_01, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Cal_01 Win User

take ownership of hard drive

Hi guys,

I've been denied access on an external hard disk so I tried to take ownership but it won't let me do it.

It says it is unable to set new owner as there is not enough space on the disk.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thank you

:)

Cal_01, Jun 15, 2020

2. Location is not available F:/ is not accessible. Access is denied. External hard drive

Hi,

Most of the time, when your external hard drive shows that error message, it suggests that you don’t have the privilege of accessing to the disk partition. We need to get a permit to take ownership of the drive. Follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Right-click your hard drive, then select Properties.
    • Go to Security tab.
    • Click Advanced, then select Edit.
    • On the Owner tab, modify the ownership of the specified account.
    • Click Apply, then OK.
    Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Martin Bar, Jun 15, 2020
  3. Arul_D Win User
    Can't take ownership of external hard disk

Hi Jenil,

Welcome to the Microsoft community.

In order to assist you better could you please confirm a few things like:

• Have you installed any third party folder lock software on your computer?
    I would suggest you to follow methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Step 1: Make sure that you are logged in as an administrator.

Step 2: Try to take ownership of the files and check if it helps.

Taking ownership of a folder from explorer

1) Locate the file or folder on which you want to take ownership in windows explorer.

2) Right click on file or folder and select “Properties” from Context Menu.

3) Click on "Security" tab.

4) Click on “Advanced” button.

5) Now click on "Owner" tab in Advanced Security Settings for User windows.

6) Click on Edit Button and select user from given Change Owner to list if user or group is not in given list.

7) Click on other users or groups. Enter name of user/group and click ok.

8) Now select User/group and click apply and ok. Check “Replace owner on subcontainers and objects” if you have files and folder within selected folder.

9) Click ok when Windows Security Prompt is displayed.

10) Now Owner name must have changed.

11) Now click Ok to exist from Properties windows.

Once you have taken the ownership of file or folder next part comes is granting permissions to that file/folder or object.

If the above method doesn’t work, you could try taking ownership from the command line.

Or Taking ownership of a file or folder from command line

Open an elevated Command Prompt window.

To do so:

a. press windows + X.

b. Select Command Prompt as Administrator.

c. Type the following command and press ENTER:

takeown /f <foldername> /r /d y

d. To assign the Administrators group Full Control Permissions for the folder, use this syntax:

icacls <foldername> /grant administrators:F /T

The /T parameter is added so that the operation is carried out through all the sub-directories and files within that folder.

e. To know more information about the above commands, run these commands from a Command Prompt window.

takeown /?

icacls /?

Once you take ownership, you can grant permissions on those files or folders.

Method 2:

Try the steps in the following Microsoft article.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/improve-performance-optimizing-hard-drive

Chkdsk disclaimer.

Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. WE will be glad to assist.

Arul_D, Jun 15, 2020
  4. take ownership of hard drive

Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Jun 15, 2020
Thema:

take ownership of hard drive

1. take ownership of hard drive - Similar Threads - ownership hard drive

2. Can't take ownership of external hard disk with W11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't take ownership of external hard disk with W11: I have an external hard drive and when i try to open it, it says access denied..when i try to see the ownership, it says unable to determine owner.When i try to change the ownership through various methods like cmd promp takeown or by going to the properties of the drive, it...
  3. Can't take ownership of external hard disk with W11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't take ownership of external hard disk with W11: I have an external hard drive and when i try to open it, it says access denied..when i try to see the ownership, it says unable to determine owner.When i try to change the ownership through various methods like cmd promp takeown or by going to the properties of the drive, it...
  4. Can't take ownership of external hard disk with W11

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. can't take ownership of folders copied on hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    can't take ownership of folders copied on hard drive: Hi, On my old pc I copied some files on an HDD then removed it and installed it in another PC. On the new pc I can see the folders and some programs like unlocker allow me to see files in them. I tried everything from unlocker to registry edits to allow to take ownership...
  6. Unable to delete files on hard drive, unable to even take ownership of files?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to delete files on hard drive, unable to even take ownership of files?: Hello, this problem has been persisting for a long time for me and I need help with this. I'm unable to delete files from my hard drive, C: despite being the administrator, for certain folders I can even remove the contents inside, but I'm still unable to remove the folder...
  7. Take ownership

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Take ownership: Is there an easy way to take ownership of files or folders so they can be deleted. I want to delete Windows.old and some of the Wallpapers I have added to windows 10. Thanks 139644
  8. Take ownership

in Windows 10 Support
    Take ownership: Is there an easy way to take ownership of files or folders so they can be deleted. I want to delete Windows.old and some of the Wallpapers I have added to windows 10. Thanks 139644
  9. Tried taking ownership of a drive but access denied

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Tried taking ownership of a drive but access denied: I typed a command in administrator Command Prompt icacls "full path of folder or drive" /setowner "user name" /T /C Because I wanted full access and ownership of my drive, so I followed this fourm Change Owner of File, Folder, Drive, or Registry Key in Windows 10 |...
  10. Can't take ownership of external hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't take ownership of external hard drive: I have an external hard drive and when i try to open it, it says access denied.. when i try to see the ownership, it says unable to determine owner. When i try to change the ownership through various methods like cmd promp takeown or by going to the properties of the drive,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 take ownership of drive