Windows 10: Take ownership

Discus and support Take ownership in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Is there an easy way to take ownership of files or folders so they can be deleted. I want to delete Windows.old and some of the Wallpapers I have added... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by huffman, Sep 1, 2019.

1. huffman Win User

Take ownership

Is there an easy way to take ownership of files or folders so they can be deleted.
    I want to delete Windows.old and some of the Wallpapers I have added to windows 10.

Thanks

:)

huffman, Sep 1, 2019

2. Ownership Issues

that will not hurt taking ownership, but I would also then look in the list of users on the ownership page and make sure your user account name is there with full permissions. Probably not.

even though you take ownership of an item, you may not be in the list of users with permissions.

first select disable inheritance, then select "ADD" in the list of users, and add your user account the same way you took ownership and select full permissions.

Then administrators may only have select permissions in the list. so after you disable inheritance, delete admins user. then select add again and select admins in the list and select full permissions

restart pc

seahawks65, Sep 1, 2019
  3. Take Ownership

Hello,

Thank you for posting your concern here in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

From the description of the issue, I understand that you are unable to take full ownership of the files and folders.

I would recommend you to see if you are logged in administrator account, if not then enable it. Please follow the below steps.

I would suggest you to enable the built in administrator account.

You need to run the command from an elevated command prompt. To do that you need to do the following:

• Press the Windows key t+ R from the keyboard to open the Run Command Dialog Box
    • Enter cmd and right-click on the Command Prompt result that should appear.
    • This opens a list of options at the bottom. Select Run as administrator there.
    • Accept the UAC prompt
    • Enter the following command to enable the hidden administrator account:
      net user administrator /active:yes
    Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further assistance, please do let us know and we would be happy to help you further.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Sep 1, 2019
  4. Take ownership

How to "take ownership"?

I’ve found a small solution to hide the smiley icon. It doesn’t disable the button, it only renders the icon invisible.
    This is what I did:

• Navigate to C:\Windows\System32 and find ieframe.dll
    • Take ownership and give administrators full control
    • ...snip...
    • Save the file and copy it back to C:\Windows\System32

So, the question is how to take "control" - I seem to still be getting permission denied errors when copying the file back to c:\Windows\System32?

Okay so it seems that after taking ownership and giving adminstrators control, I got further - I had to also explicitly set the file permission. It did let me copy my modified .dll over the ieframe.dll, but now IE does not start up! Luckily I am running this in a VM so can revert to an earlier snapshot, but there does seem to be some fundamental step that I am missing!

GerhardusVanG, Sep 1, 2019
Thema:

Take ownership

1. Take ownership - Similar Threads - ownership

2. Take ownership

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Take ownership: Is there an easy way to take ownership of files or folders so they can be deleted. I want to delete Windows.old and some of the Wallpapers I have added to windows 10. Thanks 139644
  3. Lost access ownership of all folders after Factory reset

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Lost access ownership of all folders after Factory reset: Before Factory Reset: I was running Windows 10 on a Local User account Then I did a factory reset removing everything in C: drive. Resetting got stuck at 99% so I had to force restart but everything was fine. After Factory Reset: I created a new user account by logging in...
  4. Does renaming a file/directory change it's ownership?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Does renaming a file/directory change it's ownership?: I have been looking for the answer to this basic question and have been stumped. So does renaming a file/directory change a file/directories ownership? Assumption is that it one has to be the file /directory owner to rename a file/directory so it would not. Is this...
  5. Windows keeps changing file ownership whenever I copy or create files, how do I stop this?

Windows keeps changing file ownership whenever I copy or create files, how do I stop this?: [ATTACH] I keep getting this icon which prevents other PC's from accessing these file which requires me to move the files back to my PC to change the file ownership back to personal. This just started happening a few months back and I didn't mind it, but now I have multiple...
  6. ownership control

ownership control: gain ownership from trusted installer for all files, sub files, folders, etc.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ownership-control/e3583135-d178-4d2c-a7f8-8de90a97d015"
  7. How to change Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Many a time, you need to change ownership of a file or folder to another user. There can be many reasons to do that — transferring files to another user, an old account is removed, and all files should be [...] This post How to change Ownership of a File or...
  8. Changed ownership of C: and everything stopped working

Changed ownership of C: and everything stopped working: Running Windows 10 Pro. Wanted to change file details of photos on my computer to make them searchable by keyword. Couldn’t do it initially so thought I would change the ownership to give permission. I have thousands of photos and hundreds of folders so figured would do C:...
  9. Upgrade license ownership - Windows 10 Home to Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade license ownership - Windows 10 Home to Pro: We have multiple company (~10) computers that were bought and brought into use with Windows 10 Home. I have been upgrading them to Windows 10 Pro (to allow them to be joined to the Azure AD) via the windows store as it appeared to be the cheapest solution that we could be...
  10. Change Account Ownership but keep all apps

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Change Account Ownership but keep all apps: Hi I built a new computer for my daughter but I linked Windows 10 to her email. I need to transfer ownership to mine so I can set hers up under parental controls. I already spent hours loading apps and need to keep them. can you explain the steps to transfer ownership to my...