Windows 10: Taken Hard drive out via SATA cable to a Dell with Vista. Getting erro

Discus and support Taken Hard drive out via SATA cable to a Dell with Vista. Getting erro in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi gang.. I keep running into a problem every step I take in trying to get files off of my hard drive and transferred to another computer so that I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Kurdatz, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Kurdatz Win User

Taken Hard drive out via SATA cable to a Dell with Vista. Getting erro

Hi gang..

I keep running into a problem every step I take in trying to get files off of my hard drive and transferred to another computer so that I can clean install Win 10 on my Toshiba Satellite.

I took the hard drive out, mated it to a SATA cable and tried to hook in via the USB port on my Chrome book. Turns out, Chrome book is incompatable. So, I hook it up to a Dell Inspiron 1501 running VIsta. I get "Z:\ refers to a location that is unavailable...blah blah blah."

I've been beating my head against the wall EVERY turn I take trying to get this damn thing all sorted out. Any advice?

:)

Kurdatz, Oct 29, 2017
  2. infinite5 Win User

PXE-E61 MEDIA TEST FAILED, CHECK CABLE PXE-MOF EXITING PXE ROM

Hi,

I am getting the following error on my
    Dell Studio 1747

PXE-E61 MEDIA TEST FAILED, CHECK CABLE

PXE-MOF EXITING PXE ROM

The hard drive is seen when I hit F2 and look at the specs

I have taken the hard drive out and reinstalled. It did not help but the computer still recognizes the hard drive.

Any suggestions?

infinite5, Oct 29, 2017
  3. cd dvd player is not shown in device manager

Thank you, but I fixed it myself....None of the advice that has been posted about this did not help...I removed the SATA cable of the hard drive from SATA port 1 and put the CD DVD SATA cable there,then I put the hard drive SATA cable in SATA 2--------I
    just reversed the two SATA cables. Has been working great..

halfbreedYX, Oct 29, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Connect it to a computer running Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10. Better USB drivers and NTFS support.

NavyLCDR, Oct 29, 2017
  5. Plankton Win User
    What files and how many? Why not just move the data you want to save to a USB drive (32 or 64 GB).

Plankton, Oct 29, 2017
  6. Kurdatz Win User
    Theres a lot of files, and I'm not able to access Win 10 from the laptop. An auto update screwed it all up by deleting the drivers and now I'm TOTALLY lost as to what to do. I figured by downloading the files to another laptop and then re-installing Win 10 clean, I can start anew on the Toshiba, but so far I've had to fight every single step of the way. Every recovery, reset, image re-start - you name it. FAILS

Kurdatz, Oct 29, 2017
  7. Kurdatz Win User
    If I wasn't writing a book with those files, I could care less if I had to erase the whole drive, but I can't. I need those files. (Lesson learned, back up your PC!!!)

Kurdatz, Oct 29, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Buy an SSD for the laptop, do a clean install of Windows 10 to it. Then connect your old hard drive to that via USB.

NavyLCDR, Oct 29, 2017
  9. Winuser Win User
    If it's within your budget you can buy a new drive to install Windows 10 on. I would suggest going with a SSD. Then you can transfer your files from the old drive. After transferring the files the old drive can be used as a backup drive.

Winuser, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Taken Hard drive out via SATA cable to a Dell with Vista. Getting erro - Similar Threads - Taken Hard drive

2. Old Hard Drive not Showing When Connected Via SATA to USB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Old Hard Drive not Showing When Connected Via SATA to USB: I recently pulled an old Toshiba 2.5 harddrive out my a laptop whose battery had died. I was hoping to pull the data off it onto my new laptop, but my current machine simply won't recognise it. I have the drive connected via a SATA to USB cable, both USB plugs plugged in, so...
  3. Old Hard Drive not Showing When Connected Via SATA to USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old Hard Drive not Showing When Connected Via SATA to USB: I recently pulled an old Toshiba 2.5 harddrive out my a laptop whose battery had died. I was hoping to pull the data off it onto my new laptop, but my current machine simply won't recognise it. I have the drive connected via a SATA to USB cable, both USB plugs plugged in, so...
  4. Old Hard Drive not Showing When Connected Via SATA to USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. SATA hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SATA hard drive: Hi, my WD Blue M.2 NVME SSD, where I store most of my data on my computer, has a blue question mark over it. It does not appear in hidden devices in device manager, and does not show up in disk management. It is not recognized anywhere except where it has the blue question...
  6. SATA hard drive

SATA hard drive: Hi, my WD Blue M.2 NVME SSD, where I store most of my data on my computer, has a blue question mark over it. It does not appear in hidden devices in device manager, and does not show up in disk management. It is not recognized anywhere except where it has the blue question...
  7. Hard Drive connected via external SATA to USB cable is not showing in Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard Drive connected via external SATA to USB cable is not showing in Windows: I have a 500GB 2.5" form factor hard disk which I encrypted using bitlocker. It worked fine, I enter the password and it gets decrypted, however while encrypting the encryption did not completed and it stuck at 92% regardless the drive works fine whenever I plug it, the drive...
  8. Hard Drive connected via external SATA to USB cable is not showing in Windows

Hard Drive connected via external SATA to USB cable is not showing in Windows: I have a 500GB 2.5" form factor hard disk which I encrypted using bitlocker. It worked fine, I enter the password and it gets decrypted, however while encrypting the encryption did not completed and it stuck at 92% regardless the drive works fine whenever I plug it, the drive...
  9. Hard Drive connected via external SATA to USB cable is not showing in Windows

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. SATA cables

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SATA cables: I just got my new SSD and i dont have a spare SATA cable. I dont live near a best buy or tech shop and ordering online would be a last resort. Im wondering if it is ok to borrow the SATA that connects my cd drive to my motherboard....