Windows 10: Takeown, icacls doesn't work!

Discus and support Takeown, icacls doesn't work! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I own folder and i have full control. Yet i can't move it. It is folder in ProgramData of a program, which is taking a lot of space. It says i need... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by empleat, Oct 3, 2020.

1. empleat Win User

Takeown, icacls doesn't work!

I own folder and i have full control. Yet i can't move it. It is folder in ProgramData of a program, which is taking a lot of space. It says i need administrator permissions, while i am on full admin account!

It says exactly: "you need permission to perform this action, you require permission from computer's administrator to perform this action."

I used commands from this site, which always used to work for me! windows 7 - How would I use Takeown to take ownership of all folders on one drive? - Super User

Any ideas why?

Thanks.

:)

empleat, Oct 3, 2020
  2. BetoLP Win User

Windows doesn`t start. Authomatic repair doesn`t work.

Thanks again!!

I`m sorry I had not noticed that the text on the picture was in spanish. It says that windows has replaced some damaged clusters in "name" file and "directory". Then, at the end "an unspecified error occurred (75736e6a726e6c2e 4f6)".

I`ll do it and I`ll be updating this thread when I have the report.

- - - Updated - - -

I ran SeaTools. These are the results:

Takeown, icacls doesn't work! [​IMG]

Does it mean my HDD is useless?

BetoLP, Oct 3, 2020
  3. Understanding 'Access Denied' so that permissions can be reverted - icacls and takeown

• Before taking ownership of files and folders I would like to understand how to view the current permissions so that they may be reverted.
    • I am reciving an 'Access Denied' message to view or save permissions with elevated command prompt for location: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\SystemData in Windows 10 enviroment.
    • It looks like that I may need to take ownership first, then can view the permissions, and use something like icacls 'reset' command to fix it afterwards.

If I try to view permissions:

If I try to save an ACL file:

In the answer to 'Understanding how to use Icals & Takeown' the owner of the folder was NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller which may infact may be a standard in Windows 10, though I am only guessing.

Should I just use takeown, and icals, find out the permissions and then use the reset command.

Likewise with the ACL, one would need to take ownership before creating, or is there a work around?

Reading:

Under A Tree, Oct 3, 2020
  4. Takeown, icacls doesn't work!

Windows 10 "read access denied" on C:\ , takeown and icacls not working?

I was messing with permission so on the root drive on my Windows 10 laptop and I screwed it up. I am unable to execute many programs and can't get the properties of the main drive c:. I have done some reading and have tried the following:

• right clicking C:\ in explorer, --> properties --> advanced --> change owner
      the computer seems to freeze and the process becomes unresponsive.
    • under "advanced login options" i have logged in as administrator and run the following commands (both with success messages):

after rebooting i also tried

but that did not seem to work either.

and yet I am still unable to get to the root drive. I have read a ton of threads on this and am pretty frustrated. I hope there is something basic that I am simply overlooking.

lkilgoretrout, Oct 3, 2020
Thema:

Takeown, icacls doesn't work!

1. Takeown, icacls doesn't work! - Similar Threads - Takeown icacls doesn't

2. icacls fails on malwarebytes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    icacls fails on malwarebytes: Windows 10 Pro Workgroupicacls "c:\program files\malwarebytes\anti-malware" /grant everyone:f /t /cc:\program files\malwarebytes\anti-malware\suhlpr.dll: Access is denied. c:\program files\malwarebytes\anti-malware\Swissarmy.dll: Access is denied. c:\program...
  3. icacls fails on malwarebytes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    icacls fails on malwarebytes: Windows 10 Pro Workgroupicacls "c:\program files\malwarebytes\anti-malware" /grant everyone:f /t /cc:\program files\malwarebytes\anti-malware\suhlpr.dll: Access is denied. c:\program files\malwarebytes\anti-malware\Swissarmy.dll: Access is denied. c:\program...
  4. icacls fails on malwarebytes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Undo Takeown command

Undo Takeown command: Using command line, with Takeown, I changed ownership of all Local files to administrator and now some apps stopped working. Is there a way to undo that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/undo-takeown-command/a00e0da6-442d-460f-b670-7c5eb364b8dd
  6. Takeown, icacls doesn't work!

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Takeown, icacls doesn't work!: I own folder and i have full control. Yet i can't move it. It is folder in ProgramData of a program, which is taking a lot of space. It says i need administrator permissions, while i am on full admin account! It says exactly: "you need permission to perform this action, you...
  7. Takeown command not working

Takeown command not working: My account is an admin on my system, and I would like to remove a *certain* intrusive file from my computer, however windows has other ideas and continually blocks me from touching the file. After trying for about half an hour to remove this file through the usual ways...
  8. takeown problem

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    takeown problem: Hi I have Windows 10 v1511 Enterprise 64 bit with two Microsoft account. From the Command Prompt (run as administrator), I tried to write Code: takeown /S localhost /U "<Microsoft_account_(E-Mail_Address)>" /P <User_password>" /F "<Directory_path>" /R /A /D...
  9. icacls problem

in Windows 10 Support
    icacls problem: Hi I have Windows 10 v1511 Enterprise 64 bit. I noticed that the icacls "<Home_directory_path>" /inheritance:e /Q /T /C /L command, applied to the home directory of a directory structure, is run only the first level of the structure. Why? How do I run it...
  10. Icacls command usage ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Icacls command usage ?: Anyone familier with the Icacls command ? I want to do is make strictly a sub-folder located in Program Files have write access, then turn it off, either if possible, via a timer which I don't think is possible with the command. Or manually turn off write access. I...