Windows 10: Takes huge time to Copy Files/folders from network shared drive to local drive.

Discus and support Takes huge time to Copy Files/folders from network shared drive to local drive. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have installed three new Dell systems on a small network. The systems are well equipped with fast CPUs and 16GB RAM and 1TB local drives. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Tracy_Lee_IT, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Takes huge time to Copy Files/folders from network shared drive to local drive.

I have installed three new Dell systems on a small network. The systems are well equipped with fast CPUs and 16GB RAM and 1TB local drives.

I have tried the various autotuninglevel settings and Remote Differential Compression to no effect.

The older Windows 7 system they replaced never experienced this type of sluggish behavior, so I am feeling like the OS is my culprit, but I am not ruling anything out.

Here are my observations: Copying from a network folder share to a local machine maybe 1600 files/folders of various sizes totaling to around 700MB using file explorer, select copy paste - it takes around 20 minutes sometimes more, never less.

Using XCOPY same files and locations it takes less than 3 minutes.

I also noted that even though I had mapped the drive in file explorer that I could not see the drive letter in the DOS box until I also mapped it using NET USE. Either something weird is going on or I am totally lost!

Why does the file copy using the GUI take so long?

***Modified Title from: Slow Network File Transfers On New Dell Boxes***

:)

Tracy_Lee_IT, Feb 17, 2019

2. cannot open files on network shared drive

Is the remote shared folder mapped? Do you have a drive letter assigned to it?
    I'd suggest calling the software developer and asking them.

thebluebumblebee, Feb 17, 2019
  3. Jizzler Win User
    cannot open files on network shared drive

I have used a small handful of applications that just won't open a \\host\share\file.ext

Annoying, but there may be a workaround, try mapping the share to a drive letter:

In Explorer, Tools > Map network drive...

Takes huge time to Copy Files/folders from network shared drive to local drive. map-network-drive-1.png

Then choose an unused drive letter, and the shared folder.

Takes huge time to Copy Files/folders from network shared drive to local drive. map-network-drive-2097.png

This will work for most programs as it'll see K:\kitchen.kit

Jizzler, Feb 17, 2019
  4. Frogger Win User

Takes huge time to Copy Files/folders from network shared drive to local drive.

?? How do I PW protect Folders in windows

hmmm?
    Sharing files and folders overview You can share the files and folders stored on your computer, on a network, and on the Web. The method you choose depends on whom you want to share files with, and what computer they will use to access the files.

When you share files or folders, they are not as protected as they are when you do not share them. People with access to your computer or your network might be able to read, copy, or change files that are in a shared folder. You should always be aware that the files and folders that you share are available to other people and be sure to monitor your shared files and folders on a regular basis.

Important

If your computer is not joined to a domain, you can use the Network Setup Wizard to automatically turn file and printer sharing on or off. To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.
    If you both use the same computer

You can put the files you want to share in the Shared Documents folder. Files stored in the Shared Documents folder or its subfolders are always available to other users on your computer.

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music folders are not available.
    If both computers are on the same network

You can share a folder or drive on your computer with others on the network. You can also control whether the files in the shared folder can be modified by other users.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, you will need to set the Access control for the folder or drive after sharing it. For more information, go to To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions.
    If you want to share your files online

You can publish pictures and documents on the Web using the Web Publishing Wizard. The files will be stored in a private, online folder that you manage.

Step-by-step procedure

If you don't want others to access your files

You can prevent other users from accessing your folders and the files they contain. When your computer is connected to a domain, this is called setting permissions for your file or folder. When your computer is connected to a workgroup, this is called making your folders private.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure

'HELP' it can be your friend *Smile Takes huge time to Copy Files/folders from network shared drive to local drive. :)

Frogger, Feb 17, 2019
Thema:

Takes huge time to Copy Files/folders from network shared drive to local drive.

1. Takes huge time to Copy Files/folders from network shared drive to local drive. - Similar Threads - Takes huge Copy

2. Attempting to copy a OneDrive file from a folder on my PC to a network shared USB drive...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Attempting to copy a OneDrive file from a folder on my PC to a network shared USB drive...: I found that if the setting to "always keep this file on my PC" is selected, then the file will not copy to the network attached USB share. Once I removed that setting from the file in the file properties, the file then copies successfully to my network attached USB shared...
  3. Attempting to copy a OneDrive file from a folder on my PC to a network shared USB drive...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Attempting to copy a OneDrive file from a folder on my PC to a network shared USB drive...: I found that if the setting to "always keep this file on my PC" is selected, then the file will not copy to the network attached USB share. Once I removed that setting from the file in the file properties, the file then copies successfully to my network attached USB shared...
  4. Shared folders on network drive

Shared folders on network drive: I have tried and still cannot delete shared folders on my network drive. I uploaded 4 screen shots. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shared-folders-on-network-drive/d0e3243e-712b-48c9-8c11-76d17b7568d0
  5. Shared folders on network drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shared folders on network drive: I have tried and still cannot delete shared folders on my network drive. I uploaded 4 screen shots. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shared-folders-on-network-drive/d0e3243e-712b-48c9-8c11-76d17b7568d0
  6. Shared folders on network drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Can't copy to shared network drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't copy to shared network drive: I have a NAS drive that two Win 10 computers can write to with no problem but a Win 11 computer gives me a 0x80070026 Reached the end of the file when I try to copy or save anything to it. Strange thing about it is some programs will save a file to this drive with no problem...
  8. Can't copy to shared network drive

Can't copy to shared network drive: I have a NAS drive that two Win 10 computers can write to with no problem but a Win 11 computer gives me a 0x80070026 Reached the end of the file when I try to copy or save anything to it. Strange thing about it is some programs will save a file to this drive with no problem...
  9. Copying a file to a network drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copying a file to a network drive.: Hello. There was a problem with copying small files less than 481 kb from a network drive Netgear REDINAS Ultra 2 to a computer and back. Larger files are transferred without problems. Windows 11 version 25115. There is no problem on a computer with Windows 11 22000....
  10. Copying a file to a network drive.

Copying a file to a network drive.: Hello. There was a problem with copying small files less than 481 kb from a network drive Netgear REDINAS Ultra 2 to a computer and back. Larger files are transferred without problems. Windows 11 version 25115. There is no problem on a computer with Windows 11 22000....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. HOW TO COPY HUGE FOLDERS FAST

2. copy folders from network drive