Windows 10: Taking back control of your folders from OneDrive

Discus and support Taking back control of your folders from OneDrive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When I first set up my computer, I enabled OneDrive, foolishly thinking it might be useful on a limited basis for sharing some information with friends... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jimbo-beener, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Taking back control of your folders from OneDrive

When I first set up my computer, I enabled OneDrive, foolishly thinking it might be useful on a limited basis for sharing some information with friends and family. I just assumed it would be there if I ever wanted to use it. NOT SO. That damn thing takes over your computer. Without knowing, my default Documents and Pictures (not sure why it limited itself to those two folders) was in OneDrive and automatically syncing with the cloud. I didn't realize what was happening until I went to recover some backup data and found out that there was NO DATA in by backup document file! OneDrive had redirected everything to it's own document file, and made me think it was in the default document file on C: User. Sure enough, the Document file that "appears" under "This PC" in File Explorer is actually a OneDrive file and with OneDrive running you can't even set up File Explorer to show you what is (or is not) in your Document file on the PC. What a mess. I tried deleting the OneDrive folders and they reappeared. I tried a number of other things. After spending two days trying to figure this mess out, I have come to the conclusion that the only way to get control is to get rid of OneDrive. But it appears OneDrive is not uninstallable, so we have to somehow disable it.

My first attempt was to open the program settings and uncheck the auto run on start-up option, and the "unlink this PC" - Doesn't work; all the folder architecture and overrides created by OneDrive remain in place, and functional.

Here is what finally worked for me. First, let OneDrive get all synced and cozy with itself. Then delete every bit of data in every folder created by one drive. If necessary, go to the Web page version and make sure all the data is gone on both ends. Now:

1. Right click on program icon, open settings

2. Account Tab - open "choose folders" and uncheck ALL of the folders (may not work if data remains in a folder). This is the key step; if you successfully do this, all the OneDrive folders should disappear. If they don't, keep trying until they do

3. Settings tab - uncheck all the General boxes (this step may not be necessary)

4. AutoSave Tab - click update folders and make sure they are all unchecked (again, may not be necessary).

5. On the Account Tab, no click "unlink this PC"

Now you need to make sure OneDrive is disabled. Here is how to do that:

1. Press the Windows key + R shortcut to open the Run command window.

2. Type in gpedit.msc.

3. Click the OK button.

4. Click on the Administrative Templates folder.

5. Double-click on the Windows Components folder.

6. Double-click on the OneDrive folder.

7. Double-click on Prevent the usage of OneDrive for file storage.

8. Click the option button beside the word Enabled.

9. Click on the OK button.

There you have it. Now File Explorer will display YOUR Documents file and YOUR other system files (Pictures, etc), and there will be no OneDrive files.

Microsoft should be ashamed for creating such a mess with OneDrive. It doesn't need to be this way - I'm sure the whole purpose is to force us to store all our data in OneDrive and instead of providing an alternative solution when we run over the 5 GB limit, we start coughing up the cash for data storage. Small amount at first... then real money before you know it. Stupid!

:)

Jimbo-beener, Feb 9, 2019

2. onedrive duplicating my folders...

Hi.

Again, onedrive is going crazy and is duplicating my main folder, full of subfolders. It's locking me out of all my files. I have windows 10, Office 365 home. I paused synch at the moment before I have 1000 copy of my folder, which I can't open anyway!
    Please don't ask me any question that will further delay the repair. Simply give me a step by step solution and then improve onedrive so this won't happen again to so many of us. I suggest you also add "onedrive" in the list of "Windows Topics" below since
    thousands of users have issues with it.

Thanks

Michel

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Michel Chiangmai, Feb 9, 2019
  3. Windows 10 - Control panel and OneDrive not opening

Hello Ron,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you. We will be glad to assist you with your issue.

• What happens when you click on Control Panel?
    • Do you get any error message or code?
    • Did you install all pending Windows updates?
    • Did you make any changes in your system prior to this issue?
    I would suggest you to right click on the Start button and select Control Panel from the list and then check if its working. If not I suggest you to refer to the steps mentioned by
    Steverid and check if it helps:

Windows 10 control panel not working

And related to OneDrive issue, I suggest you to post the query in One drive forum to get assistance with OneDrive issues.

Microsoft Community

Let us know the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Feb 9, 2019
  4. Taking back control of your folders from OneDrive

Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Feb 9, 2019
Thema:

Taking back control of your folders from OneDrive

1. Taking back control of your folders from OneDrive - Similar Threads - Taking control folders

2. Controlling where OneDrive gathers pictures for "Your Memories from this Day" feature

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Controlling where OneDrive gathers pictures for "Your Memories from this Day" feature: I want to limit the "Your Memories from this Day" feature to only pull from the pictures folder in One Drive. It currently pulls any images from any folder in my one drive, not just the Pictures folder.I cannot find any good info online about how to limit what folders the...
  3. How to move Downloads folder from OneDrive back to local drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to move Downloads folder from OneDrive back to local drive?: HiI apologize for my bad english, but it's not my native language. I hope you can help me out nevertheless.When I got my new PC, the default location of my Downloads folder was C/users/username/Downloads.I thought, it would be a nice idea to move this folder to OneDrive,...
  4. Remove My Documents Folder From OneDrive Control but still Use OneDrive

Remove My Documents Folder From OneDrive Control but still Use OneDrive: I am running MS Windows 10 Enterprise 10.0.19042 Build 19042I use this PC Lenovo Legion Y540 for trading and the trading application installs all it's user files in the default Documents Folder. It is constantly retrieving data from this location, and for reasons I can not...
  5. Controlling where OneDrive gathers pictures for "Your Memories from this Day" feature

Controlling where OneDrive gathers pictures for "Your Memories from this Day" feature: The OneDrive feature that shows photos from the same day but from prior years is mostly great. However, in some cases it is including junk images, e.g. .png files from downloaded web sites and video games, which are definitely not in my Pictures directory. I have looked at...
  6. Onedrive is back to appearing in Explorer as a folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Onedrive is back to appearing in Explorer as a folder: Current version of Windows 10 Pro. I followed a tutorial here do uninstall OneDrive. While using Explorer today (on this laptop), I see that OneDrive folder keeps reappearing. I don't find evidence that OneDrive has managed to reinstall itself -- which is to say, I can't find...
  7. Can't recursively take control of folder

Can't recursively take control of folder: Inside C:\Program Files\WindowsApps I got some folders I really wanna get rid off. For example, one for a Bubble Witch 3 saga, and one for Candy Crush. I'm pretty sure I uninstalled these apps long ago, but somehow they are still hanging around. I'm the owner of all the files...
  8. Backing up the OneDrive folder...

Backing up the OneDrive folder...: Hello guys, I am trying to create a local backup for my OneDrive folder on my external hard drive. Here is the problem: My OneDrive folder is about 800 GB in size, but most of them are only placeholder files on my device online-only files for which a placeholder has been...
  9. Stop Automatic Windows Update [Take Back Control].

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Stop Automatic Windows Update [Take Back Control].: I basically want to STOP [take control of] WU's [Windows Updates] from turning my computer on or checking for WU's when it feels like it. I want to be able to just check for WU's manually and when I want to. I have put this together and wondered if there is anything that I...
  10. Windows suddenly took control of certain folders and won't let me take control back

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows suddenly took control of certain folders and won't let me take control back: Hi all. A while back I wrote a batch file that disables all Windows Update and related services and then deletes the directory to which it downloads update information/files to. Up until today this batch file (when run as Administrator) worked without fail. However, Windows...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. OneDrive taking control of