Windows 10: Taking more than a day to delete thousands of small files?

Discus and support Taking more than a day to delete thousands of small files? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a 1TB SSD that has a folder named temp with 65,000+ png files in it. I'm trying to delete that folder and it takes forever, either from Explorer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/spec84721, May 29, 2020.

1. Taking more than a day to delete thousands of small files?

I have a 1TB SSD that has a folder named temp with 65,000+ png files in it. I'm trying to delete that folder and it takes forever, either from Explorer or from the command line.

I have tried

del /s/f/q E:\temp > nul rd /s/f/q E:\temp

and it has been running for over a day now. The cherry on top is that writing other files to the drive is cripplingly slow while this delete operation is underway, thus completely crippling my workflow.

Am I missing something?

submitted by /u/spec84721
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/spec84721, May 29, 2020
  2. Alden Rey Win User

deleting hard drive files

Hi,

May we know what type of file are you trying to delete? Would it be Office documents, media files, or picture files? If you're trying to delete files for free some space on your device. We suggest to perform a Disc Cleanup. Kindly follow the steps below to
    perform the task:

• Type in Cortana Disc Cleanup
    • Choose the files to delete
    • Click on "Clean up system files"
    • Click on Ok

For any concerns, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Regards.

Alden Rey, May 29, 2020
  3. g41851 Win User
    Thousands of hidden files beginning with ._

I was cleaning up my music tags and the program I was using revealed that I have thousands of small files that begin with "._"

I am guessing this is a result of changing from a Mac to a PC.

Normally I would leave these alone but, because I have so many of them, they are making tagging music very difficult and I would like to remove them. They are all in my C:\Users\user\Music folder and sub directories.

Any ideas on how I can delete these and leave all my audio files alone?

Taking more than a day to delete thousands of small files? [​IMG]

g41851, May 29, 2020
  4. Bree Win User

Taking more than a day to delete thousands of small files?

Thousands of hidden files beginning with ._

The hidden files beginning with '._' are the 'resource fork' part of a file as used by MacOS. There is one for each data file on a Mac. They hold metadata about the file such as the date it was last opened.

When you export files from a Mac to a usb drive in order to copy them to a PC then you invariably end up getting these too. Unless you have iTunes installed on your PC then they are unlikely to be of any use in Windows and could be deleted. If you do use iTunes in Windows then I'd leave them alone.

Invisible files with "._" prefix are created on some shared volumes and external disks - CNET

If you are completely sure you want to delete them all, then open a Command Prompt (not an admin one, a normal one will do). NB: these steps will delete them completely with no option to restore them from the Recycle Bin so you need to be really sure you don't need them for any Apple-based software such as iTunes!

The easiest way to find and open the command prompt is to click on Start and type COMMAND, then use the commands...

CD MUSIC
    DEL ._* /A:H /S /P

The /A :H option says search for hidden files, the /S option says search sub-folders. The optional /P option will prompt for confirmation for each file to be deleted, leave it out if you are really sure you want to delete every one of them. In this example I have copied some "._" files into my Music folder from from a usb of photos that was made on a Mac.

Taking more than a day to delete thousands of small files? [​IMG]

Thema:

Taking more than a day to delete thousands of small files?

1. Taking more than a day to delete thousands of small files? - Similar Threads - Taking more delete

2. file size takes more than it should

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file size takes more than it should: So basically, my C drive only has 100 GBs.Thispc>C:>users>rqisc which is my user I right click the rqisc file to see the properties. It says 28 GBsI then go INTO the file, and then select all and view properties. only 2 gbs. Whats going on?...
  3. file size takes more than it should

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file size takes more than it should: So basically, my C drive only has 100 GBs.Thispc>C:>users>rqisc which is my user I right click the rqisc file to see the properties. It says 28 GBsI then go INTO the file, and then select all and view properties. only 2 gbs. Whats going on?...
  4. file size takes more than it should

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Files taking up more space than they should.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files taking up more space than they should.: So when i download files, or pick files from my old computer to the one i am using now, the files take up more space than they should, and my disk storage seemingly keeps decreasing alone, the problem seems to be fixed when i delete the file, however the extra storage space...
  6. Files taking up more space than they should.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files taking up more space than they should.: So when i download files, or pick files from my old computer to the one i am using now, the files take up more space than they should, and my disk storage seemingly keeps decreasing alone, the problem seems to be fixed when i delete the file, however the extra storage space...
  7. Deleting more than 3 files at a time

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleting more than 3 files at a time: All releases of Windows have always allowed one to delete all the files you want to delete by selecting the files with the SHIFT Key and deleting them. But recently it is restricting me to deleting more than 3 files at a time. 1. Why is this? Was there a change? 2. How can we...
  8. Deleted Files take up MORE space after deletion

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Deleted Files take up MORE space after deletion: Was low on room for my C: drive so I decided to go uninstall some of the campaigns for HALO. All in all, it should have brought about 45gbs of space back to me. Instead, it took up MORE room and now I have 400mbs of space left. It is NOT system restore- I had this issue in...
  9. deleting thousands of ransomware ruined files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    deleting thousands of ransomware ruined files: I have about 12,000 data files that were ruined by the RSA-2048 ransom ware. I want to get rid of these useless files quickly and easily. I need a program or batch file to delete these files. I am not going to pay them for a key. Any suggestions? Paul...
  10. Are more than two thousand processes necesaries when win10 is idle?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Are more than two thousand processes necesaries when win10 is idle?: Why my laptop show more than two thousand processes running when it isn't running any program except task monitor?, why that processes are consuming many resources and task monitor shows activity like crazy? [ATTACH]...