Windows 10: Taking out HDMI cable for second monitor stops working

Discus and support Taking out HDMI cable for second monitor stops working in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Situation: 1. HDMI cable of the monitor is plugged into the laptop. 2. If I take out the hdmi cable from laptop and I plug back into the laptop, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Nazir Alimohammad, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Taking out HDMI cable for second monitor stops working

Situation:

1. HDMI cable of the monitor is plugged into the laptop.

2. If I take out the hdmi cable from laptop and I plug back into the laptop, the second monitor LG stops working.

3. If I restart my laptop annoying then second monitor extender works.

4. It was working all these years and now all of a sudden it does this.

Why? Can anyone tell what's wrong? I don't want to restart my laptop all the time. It has Windows 10. Laptop Thinkpad

:)

Nazir Alimohammad, Sep 25, 2020

2. HDMI Port Stopped Working

I generally use a second monitor via an HDMI cable while working. However, it stopped working today.

I checked these:

• Windows cannot detect a second monitor when HDMI cable is connected to the second monitor.
    • HDMI cable which I use works if another device is connected to the second monitor.
    • My computer detects my HDMI-to-VGA converter through HDMI port.

My computer runs Windows 10 Home with latest updates installed.

I suspect this is due to a driver error. How can I fix this problem?

yildizabdullah, Sep 25, 2020
  3. Second monitor (HDMI port) has stopped working

Hey there,

I am using an Asus laptop:

i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.59 GHZ, 8 GB RAM, 64-bit OS, Nvidia GeForce GTX 950 M, Windows 10 version 1709 (OS Build 16299.309)

So, I have been using a second monitor since I've owned the laptop through an HDMI cable. Now, for reasons unknown, it has stopped working. The monitor doesn't seem to detect the computer. Although, the computer flickers (as usual) when I plug the cable
    in which seems that the laptop does detect the monitor.

I have tried:

- Different monitors and HDMI cables with no success.

- Downgrading to version 1703 of windows 10 with no results.

- Reinstalling windows 10 more than once to see if it works, but no.

- Updating both Nvidia and Intel graphics card drivers. Plus uninstalling and reinstalling processes.

I'm a bit guttered and unable to figure out what is wrong. I have used a second monitor for my work for ages across multiple systems and have never had this issue occur. I was wondering if it has something to do with the Generic Pnp Monitor driver?

Would appreciate any feedback and help!!

Thanks,

BronsonBradley, Sep 25, 2020
  4. Taking out HDMI cable for second monitor stops working

Second monitor doesn't work

Hello Elham,

Thank you for updating us with the status of the issue and apologies for delay in responding.

Do you get any error message or code when you connect the second monitor with the HDMI cable?

I suggest you to check with a new HDMI cable and check if it helps. Also kindly refer to the link which I have provided in the earlier post and check if it helps. It has detailed description of the steps to perform.

Let us know the status of the issue.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Sep 25, 2020
Thema:

Taking out HDMI cable for second monitor stops working

1. Taking out HDMI cable for second monitor stops working - Similar Threads - Taking HDMI cable

2. Monitors not working in second back HDMI slot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitors not working in second back HDMI slot: After restarting my computer one time, my second monitor randomly stopped working and in display settings it shows it greyed out. However, plugging my working monitor into the slot that my second monitor is in shows no signal, but updates and rollback on my display adapter...
  3. Monitors not working in second back HDMI slot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Monitors not working in second back HDMI slot: After restarting my computer one time, my second monitor randomly stopped working and in display settings it shows it greyed out. However, plugging my working monitor into the slot that my second monitor is in shows no signal, but updates and rollback on my display adapter...
  4. Second monitor stopped working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second monitor stopped working: I have an second monitor which suddenly stopped working. The scond monitor is detected but displays "HDMI no signal"I have:- updated the display adapter driver from manufacturer Dell - no change- tried the HDMI cable on multiple devices - cable works- hooked up the monitor to...
  5. Second monitor stopped working

Second monitor stopped working: I have an second monitor which suddenly stopped working. The scond monitor is detected but displays "HDMI no signal"I have:- updated the display adapter driver from manufacturer Dell - no change- tried the HDMI cable on multiple devices - cable works- hooked up the monitor to...
  6. Night light on second monitor with USB-C to HDMI cable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Night light on second monitor with USB-C to HDMI cable: I've connected my Surface Pro X to an ASUS VG27A monitor with a USB-C to HDMI cable https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B088NS4JQZ. Night light and f.lux only works on the Surface screen. Is it possible to get night light working on the ASUS monitor as well? If not, is there...
  7. Night light on second monitor with USB-C to HDMI cable

Night light on second monitor with USB-C to HDMI cable: I've connected my Surface Pro X to an ASUS VG27A monitor with a USB-C to HDMI cable https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B088NS4JQZ. Night light and f.lux only works on the Surface screen. Is it possible to get night light working on the ASUS monitor as well? If not, is there...
  8. Second monitor via USB-C hub HDMI stopped working

Second monitor via USB-C hub HDMI stopped working: Hi, I have a Dell 7280 and an external monitor also Dell. I have a USB-C hub, which has HDMI port and USB 3.0 ports. I connect the hub to USB-C/thunderbolt port then connect the monitor using HDMI port. Then I can set the PC Win-P to use only second screen only. Each...
  9. External Monitor Not Working Via HDMI Cable

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    External Monitor Not Working Via HDMI Cable: Summary: After updating from 1703 to 1809 we are experiencing an issue where the external monitor has stopped working. The end user has an HP Elitebook x360 1030 G2 device connected to an external monitor via HDMI cable. The external monitor was working fine before the...
  10. second monitor stopped working

second monitor stopped working: second monitor stopped working after windows 10 update??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/second-monitor-stopped-working/e5291440-ff87-4ee6-916e-b918210a6654