Windows 10: Taking ownership of a file as the administrator

Discus and support Taking ownership of a file as the administrator in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am moving files from my old computer to my new computer and Adobe files will not copy. They need administrator permission. Currently the only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by real alaska moose, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Taking ownership of a file as the administrator

I am moving files from my old computer to my new computer and Adobe files will not copy. They need administrator permission. Currently the only person allowed on the new computer is the administrator. What to I have to do to change the ownership in Properties>Security?

:)

real alaska moose, Feb 24, 2020

2. Take Ownership

Hello,

Thank you for posting your concern here in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

From the description of the issue, I understand that you are unable to take full ownership of the files and folders.

I would recommend you to see if you are logged in administrator account, if not then enable it. Please follow the below steps.

I would suggest you to enable the built in administrator account.

You need to run the command from an elevated command prompt. To do that you need to do the following:

• Press the Windows key t+ R from the keyboard to open the Run Command Dialog Box
    • Enter cmd and right-click on the Command Prompt result that should appear.
    • This opens a list of options at the bottom. Select Run as administrator there.
    • Accept the UAC prompt
    • Enter the following command to enable the hidden administrator account:
      net user administrator /active:yes
    Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further assistance, please do let us know and we would be happy to help you further.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Feb 24, 2020
  3. How to "take ownership"?

I’ve found a small solution to hide the smiley icon. It doesn’t disable the button, it only renders the icon invisible.
    This is what I did:

• Navigate to C:\Windows\System32 and find ieframe.dll
    • Take ownership and give administrators full control
    • ...snip...
    • Save the file and copy it back to C:\Windows\System32

So, the question is how to take "control" - I seem to still be getting permission denied errors when copying the file back to c:\Windows\System32?

Okay so it seems that after taking ownership and giving adminstrators control, I got further - I had to also explicitly set the file permission. It did let me copy my modified .dll over the ieframe.dll, but now IE does not start up! Luckily I am running this in a VM so can revert to an earlier snapshot, but there does seem to be some fundamental step that I am missing!

GerhardusVanG, Feb 24, 2020
  4. Arul_D Win User

Taking ownership of a file as the administrator

Can't take ownership of external hard disk

Hi Jenil,

Welcome to the Microsoft community.

In order to assist you better could you please confirm a few things like:

• Have you installed any third party folder lock software on your computer?
    I would suggest you to follow methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Step 1: Make sure that you are logged in as an administrator.

Step 2: Try to take ownership of the files and check if it helps.

Taking ownership of a folder from explorer

1) Locate the file or folder on which you want to take ownership in windows explorer.

2) Right click on file or folder and select “Properties” from Context Menu.

3) Click on "Security" tab.

4) Click on “Advanced” button.

5) Now click on "Owner" tab in Advanced Security Settings for User windows.

6) Click on Edit Button and select user from given Change Owner to list if user or group is not in given list.

7) Click on other users or groups. Enter name of user/group and click ok.

8) Now select User/group and click apply and ok. Check “Replace owner on subcontainers and objects” if you have files and folder within selected folder.

9) Click ok when Windows Security Prompt is displayed.

10) Now Owner name must have changed.

11) Now click Ok to exist from Properties windows.

Once you have taken the ownership of file or folder next part comes is granting permissions to that file/folder or object.

If the above method doesn’t work, you could try taking ownership from the command line.

Or Taking ownership of a file or folder from command line

Open an elevated Command Prompt window.

To do so:

a. press windows + X.

b. Select Command Prompt as Administrator.

c. Type the following command and press ENTER:

takeown /f <foldername> /r /d y

d. To assign the Administrators group Full Control Permissions for the folder, use this syntax:

icacls <foldername> /grant administrators:F /T

The /T parameter is added so that the operation is carried out through all the sub-directories and files within that folder.

e. To know more information about the above commands, run these commands from a Command Prompt window.

takeown /?

icacls /?

Once you take ownership, you can grant permissions on those files or folders.

Method 2:

Try the steps in the following Microsoft article.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/improve-performance-optimizing-hard-drive

Chkdsk disclaimer.

Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. WE will be glad to assist.

Arul_D, Feb 24, 2020
Thema:

Taking ownership of a file as the administrator

1. Taking ownership of a file as the administrator - Similar Threads - Taking ownership file

2. Taking Ownership of Everything and Always Acting as an Administrator

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taking Ownership of Everything and Always Acting as an Administrator: I cannot do everything in the system, and it asks for confirmation when I delete some items in the Program Files folder or move some items there. Therefore, I need to know how to take ownership of everything every file and folder on the computer, so as to be able to edit,...
  3. Taking Ownership of Everything and Always Acting as an Administrator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taking Ownership of Everything and Always Acting as an Administrator: I cannot do everything in the system, and it asks for confirmation when I delete some items in the Program Files folder or move some items there. Therefore, I need to know how to take ownership of everything every file and folder on the computer, so as to be able to edit,...
  4. Taking Ownership of Everything and Always Acting as an Administrator

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taking Ownership of Everything and Always Acting as an Administrator: I would like to know how to take ownership of everything every file and folder on the computer, so as to be able to edit, move, and delete every file with full rights.Can you also explain how to do everything always as an administrator, so as to have no restrictions and never...
  5. Taking Ownership of Everything and Always Acting as an Administrator

Taking Ownership of Everything and Always Acting as an Administrator: I would like to know how to take ownership of everything every file and folder on the computer, so as to be able to edit, move, and delete every file with full rights.Can you also explain how to do everything always as an administrator, so as to have no restrictions and never...
  6. Cannot take ownership of a file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot take ownership of a file: Hi, I am trying to take ownership of a file with no current owner and tried to take ownership as the administrator, but no matter what I do, the it keeps "no current owner" in its properties. I have tried to change the ownership by "Replacing all child object permission...
  7. Take ownership

in Windows 10 Support
    Take ownership: Is there an easy way to take ownership of files or folders so they can be deleted. I want to delete Windows.old and some of the Wallpapers I have added to windows 10. Thanks 139644
  8. Taking ownership of a file

Taking ownership of a file: Some time ago a had file that required only one click to take ownership of another file. I would just right click on the file I was interested in and select "take ownership." It would then make a change in the registry and give me addess to that file. Does anyone here know...
  9. Take Ownership folders and files

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Take Ownership folders and files: Since I got the update for Windows 10 for 1809 version I need to take ownership for many folders and files I want to use. I could some help for this. I know there used to be some software that would do this for you. Does anyone know what software that would be and where to...
  10. Take Ownership folders and files

in Windows 10 Support
    Take Ownership folders and files: Since I got the update for Windows 10 for 1809 version I need to take ownership for many folders and files I want to use. I could some help for this. I know there used to be some software that would do this for you. Does anyone know what software that would be and where to...