Windows 10: Taking ownership of windowsapps folder - failed to process?

Discus and support Taking ownership of windowsapps folder - failed to process? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So ive taken ownership without much of an issue on two of my pc's. my 3rd is fighting me tooth n nail. When i go to take ownership, it fails to process... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by klepp0906, Mar 8, 2020.

1. klepp0906 Win User

Taking ownership of windowsapps folder - failed to process?

So ive taken ownership without much of an issue on two of my pc's. my 3rd is fighting me tooth n nail. When i go to take ownership, it fails to process some stuff.

I know when this happened on one of the other pc's, instead of the context menu item to take ownership, I had to use the command line and Code:
    after that the context menu processed everything (i imagine because the former already took care of that, but posterity Taking ownership of windowsapps folder - failed to process? :p)

This isnt the case on my final pc. ive used the context menu method. ive used the cmd line method above. its still failing on some files.

how to i rectify that?

:)

klepp0906, Mar 8, 2020

2. How to I list folders and files inside the WindowsApps folder WITHOUT taking ownership?

Hi guys!

Like the Subject says "How to I list folders and files inside the WindowsApps folder WITHOUT taking ownership?"

Because every single time I've taken ownership of WindowsApps it breaks something. But I have to get the path to my games installed there.

blackkatt911, Mar 8, 2020
  3. WindowsApps folder ownership

Hello,

As I know, the default owner for WindowsApps folder is TrustedInstaller. You can try restoring ownership to TrustedInstaller, refer first reply here for the required steps:

Restore WindowsApps permissionss to TrustedInstaller

Hope this helps!

Kapil Arya MVP, Mar 8, 2020
  4. Taking ownership of windowsapps folder - failed to process?

Permission/Ownership Issues WindowsApps Folders...

I have been tearing what little hair I have left out of my head trying to copy a file from my desktop to the appropriate folder in the Kodi folder buried in the XBMC… folder in Windowsapps in a brand-new fairly high-end laptop running Windows 10 Pro. I cannot get beyond first what appears to be a UAC “Destination Folder Access Denied” error message saying “You’ll need to provide administrative permission to copy to this folder.” If I click on the UAC “continue” button I get another “Destination Folder Access Denied” error box saying “You need permission to perform this action.” The second error box has only “Try Again” and “Cancel” buttons. Nothing is listed under “More details” in either error box.

Here is most of what I have tried:

1. changing ownership of Windowsapps and all folders below it to my Microsoft account user and granting full-control permissions to Windowsapps and all folders below it;
    2. changing ownership to administrators group for Windowsapps and all folders below it and granting full-control permissions to Windowsapps and all folders below it;
    3. enabling the “hidden” administrator account, going back to my Microsoft user account and granting full-control rights to the administrator account, returning to the administrator account, taking control with that account, granting full control permission to Windowsapps and all folders below it;
    4. creating a new administrator account and repeating 3;
    5. completely disabling UAC through the registry, once in the default administrator account and once in my Microsoft account user.
    6. adding and using the “Take Ownership” context option on a Windowsapps folder as described in the Tutorial at Add Take Ownership to Context Menu in Windows 10 ; and
    7. running the following commands in an administrator command window:

Code:
    Code:
    takeown /f "%ProgramFiles%\WindowsApps" /a /r /d y   icacls "%ProgramFiles%\WindowsApps" /inheritance:r /grant:r Administrators:(OI)(CI)F /t /c 
    as suggested at: Permission/Ownership Issues WindowsApps Folders... - Windows 10 Forums
    In fact, even if I do an explicit copy from an administrator command window, I get an “access is denied” notice.

None of the many sources I have looked at online are of any help in dealing with this blockage. Please help — not only do I need to get full-control access to Windowsapps and its subfolders for this purpose, I also need to get full-control permission to Windowsapps folders in order to get rid of an annoying McAffee startup.exe which pops an error box on every boot up even though I removed McAffee in the normal way.

How can I get assured access to Windowsapps folders???

jedpaquette, Mar 8, 2020
Thema:

Taking ownership of windowsapps folder - failed to process?

1. Taking ownership of windowsapps folder - failed to process? - Similar Threads - Taking ownership windowsapps

2. Cannot delete WindowsApp folder, even after taking ownership

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot delete WindowsApp folder, even after taking ownership: *** Please read before suggesting taking ownership ***So, I've come across this problem before on Windows 10 which I managed to fix once. The other times had to be solved by formatting the drive.As a bit of background, I upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11 without issue....
  3. Cannot delete WindowsApp folder, even after taking ownership

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot delete WindowsApp folder, even after taking ownership: *** Please read before suggesting taking ownership ***So, I've come across this problem before on Windows 10 which I managed to fix once. The other times had to be solved by formatting the drive.As a bit of background, I upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11 without issue....
  4. Cannot copy files to WindowsApps folder even after taking Ownership of the folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot copy files to WindowsApps folder even after taking Ownership of the folder: I have been trying to copy gamepad emulator files to Forza Horizon 4 folder in windowsapps folder. I took ownership of the folder and giver full control. Even then It shows the error shown in the screenshot below. [ATTACH]...
  5. Folder access denied and Take Ownership fails

Folder access denied and Take Ownership fails: Hello, I have been dealing with an issue lately not being able to access the files from an external drive. That drive contains the windows 10 files that I had on my old pc. I have tried many methods of trying to take folder ownership and it keeps failing, error messages...
  6. How to I list folders and files inside the WindowsApps folder WITHOUT taking ownership?

How to I list folders and files inside the WindowsApps folder WITHOUT taking ownership?: Hi guys! Like the Subject says "How to I list folders and files inside the WindowsApps folder WITHOUT taking ownership?" Because every single time I've taken ownership of WindowsApps it breaks something. But I have to get the path to my games installed there....
  7. Take ownership subdirectories fail

Take ownership subdirectories fail: I take ownership of a folder it works on that folder. But all the folders underneath create errors cannot enumerate, no permission. How do I get around this without dealing with each folder by hand separately?...
  8. Take Ownership folders and files

in Windows 10 Support
    Take Ownership folders and files: Since I got the update for Windows 10 for 1809 version I need to take ownership for many folders and files I want to use. I could some help for this. I know there used to be some software that would do this for you. Does anyone know what software that would be and where to...
  9. Permission/Ownership Issues WindowsApps Folders...

in Windows 10 Support
    Permission/Ownership Issues WindowsApps Folders...: running out of ideas, just can't seem to gain full control of folders or files in the windowsapps folder, i can delete files and folders but i can't rename files or folders or edit file content... for example when i try to edit a file name i get: "you require permission...
  10. WindowsApps folder ownership, in another drive

in Windows 10 Support
    WindowsApps folder ownership, in another drive: Hello, did someone found a way to take complete ownership (includig copy and paste files) of a "windowsApps" folder WHICH IS NOT in drive C? Thanks. 103008