Windows 10: Taming Windows Defender - How To Allow Unrecognized Apps On My PC

Discus and support Taming Windows Defender - How To Allow Unrecognized Apps On My PC in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; For many years, I have used Rainlendar-Lite as a desktop calendar app with Windows. Recently they advised me of a new version being available, so I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jmrathbun, Feb 11, 2020.

1. jmrathbun Win User

Taming Windows Defender - How To Allow Unrecognized Apps On My PC

For many years, I have used Rainlendar-Lite as a desktop calendar app with Windows. Recently they advised me of a new version being available, so I downloaded the installer and tried to run it, first the normal way and then with Administrator privileges. In every case, Windows Defender blocks the executable because it doesn't recognize the publisher.

I scanned the install program with Webroot SecureAnywhere v 9.0 and it found no problem. I noticed that Windows Defender is using Public Network settings on my computer, which is NOT connected to a public network, but the settings look exactly the same.

Previously, Windows gave me the option to take responsibility for running unrecognized apps on my system, but apparently that option has been taken away. What is the best way to regain control over my system?

Windows Version 1909 Build 18363.592

:)

jmrathbun, Feb 11, 2020

2. Windows defender does not allow for me to unquarantine items

Hi Michael,

The Real-time protection feature of Windows
    Defender stops malware from running on your device. It's possible that this feature is preventing the system from restoring/allowing the affected program. If you're sure that the affected program is virus free, we suggest that you disable the
    feature temporarily and try to restore the program. To do this, follow the steps below:

• Type Windows Defender settings in the search bar and press
      Enter.
    • Under Windows Defender, disable
      Real-time protection by clicking the toggle button.
    • Once you're done, restore the affected file/program and check if the issue persists.

Also, you can allow a quarantined file/program from the Windows
    Defender desktop app. If you have the app installed on your device, you can follow these steps:

• Type Windows Defender in the search box, and then select the Desktop app.
    • Under the History tab, click on the check box for the affected file/program.
    • Select Allow item.

We'll appreciate if you can send us an update.

Darwin Dim, Feb 11, 2020
  3. joelshort Win User
    Defender Firewall will not save "allowed app" rules

I am having a persistent, ongoing problem with allowing apps through Windows Defender Firewall (Windows 10 Pro 1809). Basically, the firewall is not remembering when I add an app to the list.

From the control panel I am going to "Allow apps to communicate through Windows Defender Firewall". One of the apps in question is already listed and I need to continually enable it through the Public connection. But the rule doesn't stick.

Another app is missing from the list so I manually add it, and things work fine for that session. If I restart the system and go back to these rules, the manually added app is no longer in the list, and the already present app in the list has again reverted to Private only. I have to constantly reset these.

Why won't these apps stick in the allowed apps, and how do I fix it?

joelshort, Feb 11, 2020
  4. Arul_D Win User

Installing Apps on Windows 10 Has Windows Defender Finding Malware

Hi Tommy,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

• Is this issue specific to third party apps?
    I would suggest you to open Windows defender and add exclusions and check if it helps. Follow the steps to add exclusions in windows Defender.

• Type Windows defender settings in the search bar and press enter

• Under Exclusions click on Add Exclusion
    Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Arul_D, Feb 11, 2020
Thema:

1. Taming Windows Defender - How To Allow Unrecognized Apps On My PC - Similar Threads - Taming Defender Allow

2. How to make windows unrecognize already "deleted" apps?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to make windows unrecognize already "deleted" apps?: Recently my HDD is busted, so I replace it with an HDD. Problem is windows are still treating that the files exist on the new D drive, even though it's empty. is there any way I can make windows unrecognize the already "deleted" file? Because it's messing up a lot of my...
  3. How to make windows unrecognize already "deleted" apps?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to make windows unrecognize already "deleted" apps?: Recently my HDD is busted, so I replace it with an HDD. Problem is windows are still treating that the files exist on the new D drive, even though it's empty. is there any way I can make windows unrecognize the already "deleted" file? Because it's messing up a lot of my...
  4. Windows Defender Allow App With Temporary File Path

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Allow App With Temporary File Path: Greetings,We've got some software in the office that has a support feature which allows the end user to download a remote connection application for the third-party software company tech to assist. When you click on the "assist me" button in the application it takes you to a...
  5. Firefox... taming the beast !

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox... taming the beast !: I admit it, I resist change, especially in Firefox. So here's my guide to taming the beast that is the new Firefox. First things first... stop Firefox from automatically updating. Simply unzip and drop this "distribution" folder into... C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox After...
  6. Allow an app throughtg the Windows Defender Firewall

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Allow an app throughtg the Windows Defender Firewall: Windows is not allowing the Harrisgeospatial IDL through the firewall. [ATTACH] Any ideas to solve this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/allow-an-app-throughtg-the-windows-defender/8802c33f-b880-4e0f-ad35-421ea023d52d
  7. Taming Windows Defender - How To Allow Unrecognized Apps On My PC

Taming Windows Defender - How To Allow Unrecognized Apps On My PC: For many years, I have used Rainlendar-Lite as a desktop calendar app with Windows. Recently they advised me of a new version being available, so I downloaded the installer and tried to run it, first the normal way and then with Administrator privileges. In every case,...
  8. Windows Defender Firewall - Previously allowed APP disappears

Windows Defender Firewall - Previously allowed APP disappears: I'm having an issue with Defender firewall. I manually allow an app through the firewall on both public and private networks. The app works fine. When I restart the computer the approved app is no longer listed and the app does not work properly. What I'm trying to do is...
  9. How to allow Save as through windows defender

How to allow Save as through windows defender: When i right click a picture on a website and try to save i get this error... [img] I know how to turn off windows defender protected folder but i would like to leave that on but just download pictures now and again. I know you can add programs that WD can allow...
  10. CompatTelRunner.exe - how do I tame it?

in Windows 10 Support
    CompatTelRunner.exe - how do I tame it?: CompatTelRunner.exe always seems to start running at the least opportune times, and it's very annoying. It grinds my HDD for minutes on end, sometimes interfering with tasks I'm working on, like ripping CDs for example, which I've been working on recently. Is there any way to...