Windows 10: Tamper Protection won't stay on

Discus and support Tamper Protection won't stay on in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have Windows 10, version 1909. Tamper Protection, arbitrarily it seems, turns off. For example, when I check, Tamper Protection will be on. After... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by BillBurbidge, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Tamper Protection won't stay on

I have Windows 10, version 1909.

Tamper Protection, arbitrarily it seems, turns off.

For example, when I check, Tamper Protection will be on.

After doing some computer work, I check Tamper Protection and it's off.

I've tried going to Virus & threat protection >Virus & threat protection settings > Manage settings to turn Tamper Protection on.

Even though I've turned it on, there is the yellow triangle with the statement "Tamper Protection is off. Your device may be vulnerable."

that remains there?

When I close the window and subsequently come back to Tamper Protection it will be off again?

Through trial and error, I've discovered the only way I can get Tamper Protection on is to perform the following:

Restart. When I restart, Virus & threat protection settings and Virus & threat updates show as off There are no green bullets with white check marks showing by their respective icons.

I restart again. This time Virus & threat protection settings and Virus & threat updates are now back on The green bullets with white check marks show again. Tamper Protection is back on too.

Unfortunately, at some point Tamper Protection will be off again and I'll have to go through the above exercise again.

Any help you can give me to solve this will be very appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill.

:)

BillBurbidge, Feb 3, 2020
  2. Crizal Win User

Defender Tamper Protection/1903

Moderators: This thread deals with Defender Tamper Protection setting and 1903. If this would be better served in a different location, please feel free to move the post.

Just wondering if anyone who installed 1903 is having any unusual issue with Defender's Tamper Protection.
    Here's the blow-by-blow.....

1. Friend and I were running 1809 and installed 1903 via Update Assistant on Tuesday, May 21st. No issues and Defender Tamper Protection was on (default setting).
    2. Two days later, the 23rd, friend gets alert that Tamper Protection is off. She turned it on and it seems to be holding.
    3. Today, I get the alert Tamper Protection is off and I turned it on. So far, it's holding.

I have no idea why Tamper Protection would turn off. Both computers are clean -- no viruses, trojans, malware or adware. We do not mess around in the registry and there is absolutely no third-party antivirus on either machine.

For now, I'm taking a wait-and-see if Tamper Protection turns off again. I don't know if it's a 1903 bug or not. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Crizal, Feb 3, 2020
  3. Crizal Win User
    Defender Tamper Protection/1903

Interesting find. KB4052623 is the update for the antimalware platform and while I never thought to link it to the tamper protection mode, I have found that every time I get one of the antimalware platform updates, Windows Defender's tasks in the task scheduler all revert to "the task has not yet run". Eventually, the tasks start running so that's probably normal behavior. BTW, my tamper protection has stayed on since manually turning it on. Good catch!

Crizal, Feb 3, 2020
  4. Bree Win User

Tamper Protection won't stay on

Tamper protection in 1903?

No. Tamper protection means you can only make changes from within the Windows Security app. You can still turn off real time protection in the Windows Security app while tamper protection is in force.

Bree, Feb 3, 2020
Thema:

Tamper Protection won't stay on

1. Tamper Protection won't stay on - Similar Threads - Tamper Protection won't

2. Tamper Protection problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tamper Protection problem: in my Windows 11pro PC I noticed that Tamper Protection is turned OFF and marked as "This setting is managed by your administrator." I am unable to turn it on.1 no anti-virus/anti-malware 3rd party software is installed on the computer.2 This is my PC and I am the admin, it...
  3. Tamper Protection problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Tamper Protection problem: in my Windows 11pro PC I noticed that Tamper Protection is turned OFF and marked as "This setting is managed by your administrator." I am unable to turn it on.1 no anti-virus/anti-malware 3rd party software is installed on the computer.2 This is my PC and I am the admin, it...
  4. Cannot Disable "Tamper Protection"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Disable "Tamper Protection": Hi,I am trying to disable the "Tamper Protection" settings in Windows Defender but I cannot turn the option off. It says "This settings is managed by your Administrator" I am the Administrator, I am also the only user on my PC. And there is no work or school account connect...
  5. windows defender tamper protection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows defender tamper protection: Hi, i am logged into my windows 11 laptop as local adminthere is only one account set up but still can't switch off windows defender tamper protection. It says setting is managed by adminSo far i have taken following steps- updated all windows updates available and restarted-...
  6. Tamper Protection grayed out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Tamper Protection grayed out: Hi,on my Windows Security panel. the Tamper Protection button is grayed off. I would like to turn it off to temporarily turn off my real-time protection. there is a warning saying "This setting is managed by your administrator." but the thing is. this is my personal PC and...
  7. Tamper Protection won't stay on?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Tamper Protection won't stay on?: Tamper Protection won’t stay on. Windows 10, Version 1909 On Feb. 3, I posted a detailed question asking why I can’t get Tamper Protection to stay on. I see that there have been similar questions sent to the Community. There have been replies suggesting that the solution...
  8. Tamper Protection

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Tamper Protection: Any idea why my TP turned off randomly? submitted by /u/NikeESL [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/eqnhxb/tamper_protection/
  9. Why won’t Tamper Protection stay on?

Why won’t Tamper Protection stay on?: I have Windows 10, version 1903. If I turn Tamper Protection On in “Virus & threat protection settings, Manage settings” and then leave Windows Security, when I come back to it, Tamper Protection has reverted to being Off again? How do I make it stay on? Does it matter?...
  10. Tamper protection in 1903?

Tamper protection in 1903?: Just upgraded to Windows 10 1903 and have a question regarding the Windows Defender Tamper protection. If I need to turn off Real Time protection, will I need to turn off Tamper protection first? 137491

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why was my temper protection off random