Windows 10: Tap/Click using touchscreen does not work in Windows, but does in new Edge browser and Chrome

Discus and support Tap/Click using touchscreen does not work in Windows, but does in new Edge browser and Chrome in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I just completed a fresh install of Windows 10 on an HP Pavilion all in one desktop. This computer has a touchscreen. The issue I am having is that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by TheGreeks, Aug 8, 2020.

1. TheGreeks Win User

Tap/Click using touchscreen does not work in Windows, but does in new Edge browser and Chrome

I just completed a fresh install of Windows 10 on an HP Pavilion all in one desktop. This computer has a touchscreen.

The issue I am having is that for WINDOWS actions, the tap equivalent of mouse click, double tap, and long press right click on the touchscreen are not working. For example - if I tap on a shortcut on my desktop, I see the visual feedback that tells me the touchscreen registered the tap - but nothing happens. If I tap on the Windows start button, I see visual feedback, but no action results. I can't tap the X to close a window. However, I can drag icons around on my desktop, use scroll bars, move windows around, etc. This behavior is consistent throughout file explorer, settings, device manager, etc and in the one application I have on my computer. I cannot use the tap or double tap gestures.

Now.... Here is the interesting part. Single tap on a link does work in Chrome, but it did NOT work in the old version of Edge. I installed the new Edge Version 84.0.522.52 Official build 64-bit, and it works there.

I am 100% sure it is NOT the screen HW as I have done the HW diagnostic in the BIOS setup not in windows.

I have gone through all the driver troubleshooting, enable/disable, updating, all Windows updates applied, etc.

I have tried calibrating the touchscreen - but the calibration won't respond to the taps on the crosshairs again, i can see the visual feedback that the screen itself is registering the tap.

I am trying to set this computer up as somewhat of a kiosk - and really need the touchscreen to work.

Has anyone seen this? Can anyone provide a solution?

:)

TheGreeks, Aug 8, 2020

2. New Edge Browser and Chrome do not work on my Windows 10 PC

I have been having issues with Chrome for the past couple of months. It opens but does not do ANYTHING else. Edge used to work but when I downloaded the new Edge browser, the same thing happens. It opens but it will not do anything else. No buttons
    work except for the refresh but refreshing does not fix it. I have uninstalled the new edge and have restarted my computer many times. Still same issues. If I had to guess its something wrong with Windows 10 not supporting Chromium browsers because as soon
    as Edge used Chromium it stopped working. Any suggestions?

SilkyPeanut1, Aug 8, 2020
  3. Edge Import Bookmarks from Chrome does not work

Hi,

To resolve your issue with Microsoft Edge, we suggest that you clear your browsing data. Please follow the steps below:

• Click on the 3 dots at the upper right corner of Edge.
    • Go to Settings.
    • Go to Clear browsing data.
    • Click on Choose what to clear > Clear.
    • Try to import your bookmarks from Chrome to Microsoft Edge.

Let us know how it goes.

Melowin Mar, Aug 8, 2020
  4. Tap/Click using touchscreen does not work in Windows, but does in new Edge browser and Chrome

Why does clicking a link in a message open Chrome?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the issue that you are currently facing, we will try the best we can to resolve your issue.

I would suggest you to set Edge as default browser and check if the issue persists.

Please follow the below steps and check if it helps,

• Go to Start > Settings > System.
    • Choose Default apps, then scroll down to
      Web browser.
    • Tap or click the browser that’s currently listed as your default, then choose
      Microsoft Edge from the list of apps.
    Reference: Make Microsoft Edge your default browser:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/make-microsoft-edge-your-default-browser

Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Aug 8, 2020
Thema:

Tap/Click using touchscreen does not work in Windows, but does in new Edge browser and Chrome

1. Tap/Click using touchscreen does not work in Windows, but does in new Edge browser and Chrome - Similar Threads - Tap Click using

2. Microsoft edge, Chrome and Microsoft store does not work.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft edge, Chrome and Microsoft store does not work.: A while ago Microsoft edge would open and then a second later it would close, but my chrome worked fine so I ignored using edge. But I left a game running all night and when I woke up my pc was frozen so I held the power button until it turned off and turned it back on and...
  3. Microsoft edge, Chrome and Microsoft store does not work.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft edge, Chrome and Microsoft store does not work.: A while ago Microsoft edge would open and then a second later it would close, but my chrome worked fine so I ignored using edge. But I left a game running all night and when I woke up my pc was frozen so I held the power button until it turned off and turned it back on and...
  4. FTP not working in Chrome, Firefox or Edge browser

in Windows 10 News
    FTP not working in Chrome, Firefox or Edge browser: [ATTACH]If FTP is not working in your Chrome, Firefox or Edge browser on Windows PC, and you are looking for resolution, then you have come to the right place. We decided to write this post since we received emails asking us why FTP was not working in their browser. You...
  5. Why does Microsoft Edge launch when Chrome is my default browser?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does Microsoft Edge launch when Chrome is my default browser?: I am using Windows 11 and have Chrome configured to handle all available file types. Microsoft Edge still launches from the lock screen and from other places without my consent. How do you stop this frustrating behavior? Isn't this illegal?...
  6. Why does Microsoft Edge launch when Chrome is my default browser?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does Microsoft Edge launch when Chrome is my default browser?: I am using Windows 11 and have Chrome configured to handle all available file types. Microsoft Edge still launches from the lock screen and from other places without my consent. How do you stop this frustrating behavior? Isn't this illegal?...
  7. EDGE does not work @ optumRX.com & DollarSavingsDirect.com Chrome Issue?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    EDGE does not work @ optumRX.com & DollarSavingsDirect.com Chrome Issue?: Edge does not recognize that site does not remember that site has processed remember computer. Firefox does. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/edge-does-not-work-optumrxcom/1e6e6fa5-42a0-4d07-b411-94ce9261707d
  8. Does the new Chrome-based Edge uninstall the old version?

in Browsers and Email
    Does the new Chrome-based Edge uninstall the old version?: Simple question, as per the title... I'm slightly confused, as CCleaner still thinks both versions of Edge are installed - or is it that CCleaner is the confused one? Cheers, Mike. 152212
  9. Microsoft is working on new features for Edge, Chrome browsers

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is working on new features for Edge, Chrome browsers: It’s clear that Microsoft is fully committed to improving Chromium-based Edge browser and multiple enhancements are already underway. Many of the improvements will come to all Chromium-powered browsers, including Chrome. After adding an improved version of Find box to...
  10. Chrome does not work

in Browsers and Email
    Chrome does not work: I installed Windows 10 and started to use my chrome browser. I cannot download webpages, infinite waiting time after the first page shows, cannot scroll down or click on a link. It is like a frozen tab. I reinstalled Chrome, nothing changed. Two webpages fine, the third...