Windows 10: 'tap here to decide what happens'

Discus and support 'tap here to decide what happens' in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; A couple of things I do not like about 8.1 are what happens when I plug in a removable drive: the 'tap here to decide what happens' message. For... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by markweatherill, Oct 13, 2014.

1. 'tap here to decide what happens'

A couple of things I do not like about 8.1 are what happens when I plug in a removable drive: the 'tap here to decide what happens' message. For several reasons this is very poor.

And the 'decide which app to open this file' dialog, which is a step back in usefulness.

Are these any better in Windows 10?

:)

markweatherill, Oct 13, 2014
  2. Linda_O Win User

Unable to 'tap' to decide what to do with my devices on Win 10

I made sure tablet mode was turned off and staying off. I checked to make sure the mouse was not set up in 'tapping' mode (it did not even have this listed as an option here). I ran the system file checker in admin mode as per instructions of
    a Microsoft tech and unfortunately, it did find some file errors, but it was unable to correct them all. So the problem remains I cannot use any software on my Win 10 computer because I don't have the function to 'tap' to decide what to do with it. I am
    guessing my only option is to remove Win 10 from my computer. Any one else with this problem find a fix?

Linda_O, Oct 13, 2014
  3. Unable to 'tap' to decide what to do with my devices on Win 10

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10. This issue usually arises due to outdated drivers. You may try the following methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: Update Drivers

Refer to the following article and update all the drivers available.

How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows

If you are unable to find the drivers for Windows 10, you may try to
    install the drivers in compatibility mode with Windows 8.1.

Firstly download the driver from your computer's manufacturer website and then install it.

Refer (Make older programs compatible with this version of Windows)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/older-programs-compatible-version-windows

Note: This link also applies to Windows 10.

Method 2: Crete a new User account

To create a new user account, refer to the steps mentioned in the following Microsoft link:

Set up accounts

If the issue persists, do reply with the CBS logs which was mentioned in the result of SFC scan.

Hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you

Sahil Bali, Oct 13, 2014
  4. badrobot Win User

'tap here to decide what happens'

It's the same. After tapping the notification, it will give you options of what you can do (run the exe file, open folder, etc.)

badrobot, Oct 13, 2014
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    I did notice when doing certain downloads you get notification that it's completed.

Otherwise.. no change I can see.

BunnyJ, Oct 13, 2014
  6. The prompt is to prevent a nasty from running automatically when you plug it in. I just turn AutoPlay off in control panel. The other prompt is because now there are Apps that can view and play files like desktop programs can. Once you start setting the default App or program for that file type they should go away. I hardly ever see them.

alphanumeric, Oct 13, 2014
  7. My issue with these Modern UI versions of dialogs is that they are functionally less useful and, by the way, less accessible.

Why not have the regular dialogs pop up when the user is in the desktop, and the Modern UI versions pop up when in Modern UI? Maybe I should install Windows 10 and suggest that.

Telling me to 'tap here' on a desktop PC with no touchscreen grinds my gears every time I see it!

markweatherill, Oct 13, 2014
  8. badrobot Win User

The "Tap here" is actually a step back. It should just pop up a message asking to run the exe file with a "yes or no" option and should automatically open up the entire folder when "No" is selected. Too much tapping is not fun for mouse users.

badrobot, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. 'tap here to decide what happens' - Similar Threads - 'tap here decide

2. What happened here?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What happened here?: When I pressed Alt+F4 on the Desktop, it opened the Shutdown options prompt, as usual. I clicked "Hibernate" from the drop-down menu, then this came up-I don't know if something is wrong with my system, or it's just a typo. Please let me know....
  3. Does anyone know how to fix what's happening here?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Does anyone know how to fix what's happening here?: The windows explorer navigation pane keeps moving when i try to select certain options. https://gfycat.com/weirdpartialchevrotain submitted by /u/DavyFreaknJones [link] [comments]...
  4. Does Anyone Know What’s Happening Here?

Does Anyone Know What’s Happening Here?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Alfie12370123 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l601ev/does_anyone_know_whats_happening_here/
  5. Can anyone please tell me what's happening here?

Can anyone please tell me what's happening here?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/harshvpandey101x [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l5x0wy/can_anyone_please_tell_me_whats_happening_here/
  6. What decides a volume number

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    What decides a volume number: Running Windows 10 20H2 on two PCs. I am puzzled by the definitions displayed by diskpart list volume. I attach the two displayed contents of 'list volume'. [img] [img] It is mainly the first of these that I am puzzled by. Both machines are, as far as I can tell, cabled...
  7. What is going on here?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What is going on here?: I get regular System Interrupts that eat my CPU whenever I do anything. All I have hooked up is a wired mouse and a cool pad obviously with no data wires when nothing is connected to it and I don't, nor have I ever had anything connected to it. This configuration has not...
  8. Need help deciding what to do.

Need help deciding what to do.: Hello, I need some help. My computer is so frozen that I can't shut it down, it doesn't shut down. I had to unplug it from the power strip. I reset just the windows drive, I am going to try a full factory reset. If the factory reset doesn't fix the problem..... Should I buy a...
  9. What happened here?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What happened here?: Can I have some help?[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-happened-here/8fa5ac3e-d817-453d-88dc-5b27bc7070c4"
  10. Refresh Rates. What is happening here ?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Refresh Rates. What is happening here ?: Long story cut short... I am having a play to try and resolve an issue with a specific program that I suspect could be graphics related. I got curious on refresh rates and found various on-line checkers that are supposed to show actual rates on your PC. Why does changing...