Windows 10: tar on windows fails to extract archive containing symlink

Discus and support tar on windows fails to extract archive containing symlink in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Running tar xjf libexpat-libexpat-R_2_2_6.tar.gz gives the following error: libexpat-R_2_2_6/README.md: Can't create... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Ian678, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Ian678 Win User

tar on windows fails to extract archive containing symlink

Running

tar xjf libexpat-libexpat-R_2_2_6.tar.gz

gives the following error:

libexpat-R_2_2_6/README.md: Can't create '\\\\?\\C:\\current\\dir\\libexpat-R_2_2_6\\README.md'
    tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors.

The archive can be downloaded from GitHub: https://github.com/libexpat/libexpat/archive/R_2_2_6.tar.gz

:)

Ian678, Apr 12, 2019

2. apt-cyg install fails, /usr/bin/tar: This does not look like a tar archive

When I try to run apt-cyg to install some Cygwin package, I get the following:

It performs this in a loop, continuously returning back to the original package, and then iterating through its dependencies.

I am using Cygwin on Windows 10. I have attempted:

• Reinstalling Cygwin and apt-cyg (hoping, mostly, that the root of this was some sort of faulty tar install or bad settings file a reinstall would restore to default)
    • Running Cygwin in an cmd shell that is "run as administrator"
    • Modifying my PATH variable to have /cygwin/bin at the top, heirarchically
    • Waiting patiently for the Sun to eventually expand and swallow the Earth

Any suggestions that can help me forward would be immensely appreciated.

Bradley Evans, Apr 12, 2019
  3. flywire Win User
    Cannot Generate .tar File

How do I make a .tar from current directory tree in Win10? Trying tar -c Archive.tar * and getting tar: Failed to open '\\.\tape0'.

flywire, Apr 12, 2019
  4. Uplink10 Win User

Archive Manager, can't extract without creating subfolder

I am trying to extract an archive which contains an archive split into multiple files and for that I need Archive Manager to extract the first archive not in any subfolders.

I read on the internet that if there is more than one file in the archive Archive Manager will automatically create a subfolder when extracting, now I think that there should certainly be an option for that too but there should not be only this default option available because now I can't extract a few archives without automatically creating subfolders.

I do not want subfolders because then the second archive won't be able to extract contents because the second archive is split into more files (which depend on each other) and now all these files are in its own subfolder instead of the same folder.

I used to this with ease with 7-Zip and Winrar on Windows but in Archive Manager there is no such a choice where you choose yourself whether you want it extracted to subfolder or not in a subfolder.

Uplink10, Apr 12, 2019
Thema:

1. tar on windows fails to extract archive containing symlink - Similar Threads - tar fails extract

2. Unable to extract any .zip archives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to extract any .zip archives: I recently reinstalled Windows on my computer. After reinstalling I noticed that I cannot extract or open any files stored in zip archives. If I open a zip file I can see the contents but I cannot open the files in the archive. If I try to extract the archive, it create the...
  3. Unable to extract any .zip archives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to extract any .zip archives: I recently reinstalled Windows on my computer. After reinstalling I noticed that I cannot extract or open any files stored in zip archives. If I open a zip file I can see the contents but I cannot open the files in the archive. If I try to extract the archive, it create the...
  4. Unable to extract any .zip archives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Failed to decompress the archive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Failed to decompress the archive: I am trying to install a Epson ET2710 printer , my printer shows it is connected to the Internet but my PC with Windows 10 keeps giving me the error message Failed to decompress the archive. I have loaded Winzip and ran it through the administrator but still the same message...
  6. Failed to extract archive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Failed to extract archive: I'm trying to install TurboTax 2020 and every time I click on the file I get Failed to extract archive. On their forum they have instructions which I have tried several times and I still get the same error...
  7. how to uninstall files extracted from an archive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to uninstall files extracted from an archive: Can anybody help me out with this thing please? I recently installed an application by extracting the .exe file from WinRAR to a folder, but now I need to uninstall it, the application also doesn't appear on the Control Panel Uninstall an application list. Thank you...
  8. How to create self-extracting archives on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to create self-extracting archives on Windows 10: [ATTACH]A self-extracting archive is useful; it allows you to extract archives without additional software. All you have to do is double click the archive and […] This article How to create self-extracting archives on Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read...
  9. failed to decompress the archives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    failed to decompress the archives: I try to install epson xp257 and only get failed to decompress the archives. According to epson, they have no problem with the file, it is a common problem with windows 10. How do I solve it....
  10. Seeking Utility or Setup - Extract Archive On Open, Then Delete

in Windows 10 Support
    Seeking Utility or Setup - Extract Archive On Open, Then Delete: Hi all, I'm looking for a streamlined way of handling downloaded ZIP files (and other archives). I use Chrome as my primary browser if there's an extension that does this. I primarily use 7-Zip, but I do own a WinRAR license. I want archives to automatically unpack...