Windows 10: Task bar not functioning properly

Discus and support Task bar not functioning properly in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I was using my computer and I went down to my task bar and when I hovered over open apps or programs, the window preview was not showing up. All that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by mathman20090, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Task bar not functioning properly

I was using my computer and I went down to my task bar and when I hovered over open apps or programs, the window preview was not showing up. All that came up was the name of the application. This happened whether it was open or closed and it would not go away unless I opened it. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

:)

mathman20090, Feb 22, 2021

2. Cannot modify Task Bar settings

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will be happy to assist you.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if the issue persists.

• Right click on the Task Bar.
    • Uncheck the option " Lock the Taskbar."

Hope this helps.

Arvind Ram, Feb 22, 2021
  3. Jump lists on Task Bar not fully functional

Hi Stephenson,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

To assist you better, please provide few details.

• Do you receive any error, while trying to add icon on the Jump List in the task bar?

• Do you receive any error, while trying to install arrange icon in the task bar?
    As per your query, I like to inform you that; you can arrange the icon in the task bar.

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.

1) Open an Administrator CMD window (Type
    CMD in the Search bar or Press Windows Logo Key + X. Click on
    Command Prompt admin).

If you can’t find a way, use these steps:

• Press CTRL + Shift + ESC to open Task Manager.

• Click File > Run New Task.

• Make sure you have a check mark beside "Create this task with administrative privileges".

• Type CMD.
    2) Type the following commands at the CMD prompt:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannnow

3) If both the above commands are completed and show no remaining issues, run the PowerShell command and copy and paste the following:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

4) Check to be sure this command ran, showed a blue progress indicator and then returns to the prompt. If you see a red error, please try again. The command may have been typed or pasted incorrectly, or there may be a larger problem with Windows 10.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Feb 22, 2021
  4. Arul_D Win User

Task bar not functioning properly

Task Bar Not Working Properly

Hello,

Thank you for using Windows 10.

I would suggest you to follow the steps and check:

• Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
    • Click File > Run New Task
    • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
    • Type CMD
    • Type the following 4 commands at the CMD prompt:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    • Close the CMD window
    Check to see if the issue is resolved. If not, restart the PC.

Keep us posted on the status of the issue and we’ll be glad to help.

Arul_D, Feb 22, 2021
Thema:

Task bar not functioning properly

1. Task bar not functioning properly - Similar Threads - Task bar functioning

2. Icons on Start Bar/Task bar NOT showing properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons on Start Bar/Task bar NOT showing properly: i have just upgraded to Windows 11 pro 64 bit via an ISO install. So a fresh Windows 11 OS on the PC. Running 21H2 OS Bld 22000.8561. Have 2 users one local Admin account as an administator. And then my MS account which is my User account. At the RH end of the bottom bar...
  3. Icons on Start Bar/Task bar NOT showing properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icons on Start Bar/Task bar NOT showing properly: i have just upgraded to Windows 11 pro 64 bit via an ISO install. So a fresh Windows 11 OS on the PC. Running 21H2 OS Bld 22000.8561. Have 2 users one local Admin account as an administator. And then my MS account which is my User account. At the RH end of the bottom bar...
  4. Wifi pop up in task bar is not working properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi pop up in task bar is not working properly: Wifi pop up in task bar is showing blank after opening as shown in image. What is the issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-pop-up-in-task-bar-is-not-working-properly/edd643fa-5ecc-4a1d-8c75-e25c7f578648
  5. Windows 10 - Start bar and task bar and search function affected

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 - Start bar and task bar and search function affected: Problem: The taskbar including the Windows symbol and the start menu as well as the search function via the explorer are no longer accessible - the load symbol is always displayed about 2.3 seconds and nothing happens. Previous actions: Before the problem occurred, I...
  6. Restoring a functional W.L.M. icon to the Task Bar

in Browsers and Email
    Restoring a functional W.L.M. icon to the Task Bar: I recently added an icon to the QuickLaunch, that made it over-flow, but have since 'corrected' that so it no longer over-flows. By co-incidence or otherwise, Windows Live Mail icon no longer displays as an UNhidden icon with the tell-tale-mark indicating that new mail has...
  7. Restoring a functional W.L.M. icon to the Task Bar

in Windows 10 Support
    Restoring a functional W.L.M. icon to the Task Bar: I recently added an icon to the QuickLaunch, that made it over-flow, but have since 'corrected' that so it no longer over-flows. By co-incidence or otherwise, Windows Live Mail icon no longer displays as an UNhidden icon with the tell-tale-mark indicating that new mail has...
  8. Non functioning task bar

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Non functioning task bar: I followed online advice to go into Task manager processes and press end task for Windows explorer. I was following a path to Press the Windows key + R and then type in " explorer.exe " and click enter. After the first step of ending the task no window appeared to permit me...
  9. Task bar Icons are Appearing Properly - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Task bar Icons are Appearing Properly - Windows 10: Icons in task bar are not appearing completely, help me how can I fix this? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/task-bar-icons-are-appearing-properly-windows-10/95dcda34-d1a6-49a7-a110-d85629cd4210
  10. Windows 10 Home - Search Function in the task bar

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Home - Search Function in the task bar: I just did the upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10 - overall pretty seamless given what could have gone wrong- I was lucky this time. Some minor annoyances , but overall pretty good. On the task bar search, about an hour ago, I know it was searching the web as I typed in a web...