Windows 10: Task manager acts unresponsive, it crashes every time I close it

Discus and support Task manager acts unresponsive, it crashes every time I close it in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have an MSI GL63 8RE laptop using Wingows 10 Home ver. 1903 which was working fine until yesterday, but this morning suddenly it's become really... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cooldudeachyut, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Task manager acts unresponsive, it crashes every time I close it

I have an MSI GL63 8RE laptop using Wingows 10 Home ver. 1903 which was working fine until yesterday, but this morning suddenly it's become really glitchy. For example, a lot of my apps won't open up at all, only a few games/apps not installed on the SSD(the Windows drive) work fine. Task manager acts unresponsive, it crashes every time I close it so I have to open another Task Manager to end its process, and the "details" tab remains blank. Steam opens up but gets stuck on "updating", and even Malwarebytes gets stuck in between when I'm trying to scan for any malware. Can't even open Brave/Chrome, and even if I can access Edge it cannot load anything even though I have internet access. It's like every app just gets stuck during its startup. Funny thing is that everything went back to normal for 5 minutes completely randomly after a couple of restarts but the problem came back.

I though it might be my SSD getting corrupt because that's where Windows is installed, but apparently everything works flawlessly when I open Windows in Safe Mode with Networking(which I'm currently using to create this post). I've tried disabling all the non-Microsoft services but that doesn't work either. I just cannot pinpoint what thing is causing this extremely weird problem.

Ultimately I gave up on all troubleshooting and just reset my PC while keeping my user files which solved everything for some time but after a few restarts the problem came back. The few things I did between the reset and the reappearance of the problem was install few of my Steam games, softwares like VLC, Winrar, OpenVPN and whatnot and graphics/audio drivers.

Please help, this is extremely frustating! *Sad

:)

cooldudeachyut, Oct 29, 2019
  2. liam415 Win User

Task manager crash

Task manager is still crashing when applied the above steps and explorer crashes as it takes a while to close and its stuck on a white window and i cant open start till it goes.

"reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer" /v "DesktopProcess" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v "SeparateProcess" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f"

liam415, Oct 29, 2019
  3. Task Manager Crashing when closing Firefox

This doesn't occur every single time, but Task Manager is crashing many times after closing Firefox.

I have run scans with a top AV program, in addition to one time scan programs (Malwarebytes, etc.) with no infections found.

I've also gotten warnings from my AV about suspicious duplicate processes.

Anyone else ever have this happen repeatedly?

Thanks.

mocliamtoh5640sre, Oct 29, 2019
  4. Fafhrd Win User

Task manager acts unresponsive, it crashes every time I close it

Task manager crash

A man goes to the doctor and says "When I hit my elbow against the corner of my desk, my little finger hurts too, what should I do?"

The doctor says "Stop hitting your elbow against the corner of your desk and your little finger will stop hurting."

Sorry about that, but it seems so similar to your problem.

It is normal for the "system idle process" to report the free CPU available, as if it were a real process using that %age of the CPU.

Taskmgr, Procexp, and Resmon (part of Perfmon.exe) are all resource heavy, because of the processing they need to do to look at what is happening at the core of your system. If you are running other stuff too like browsers and maybe other stuff that uses a lot of resources, that cause your system to freeze:

- this is not a crash, in the sense that your system does not completely and irrevocably become unresponsive until powered down and restarted, or cause the Windows Error Reporting system to cause a BSOD, and write a memory dump, which may help pinpoint the source of your problem.

Repeatedly bringing about this problem by running Task Manager is unproductive, don't you think?

Instead, look at your hardware and BIOS, and analyse if you have any problems in these areas.

Investigate what 3rd party software you are running, and if any of these are causing difficulties. MSConfig may be useful here.

Thirdly, look at the way you use Windows, and are there ways you could improve?

I'm deliberately leaving you to find out how to go about these things as a learning exercise, since you are obviously an inquisitive person!

Of course there will be lots of help here when you have specific questions - good luck!

Fafhrd, Oct 29, 2019
Thema:

Task manager acts unresponsive, it crashes every time I close it

1. Task manager acts unresponsive, it crashes every time I close it - Similar Threads - Task manager acts

2. I closed start in task manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I closed start in task manager: I accidentally closed the "start" process in task manager, I tried to restart the PC but after logging in again I only see a black screen. Thanks everyone for the reply...
  3. I closed start in task manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I closed start in task manager: I accidentally closed the "start" process in task manager, I tried to restart the PC but after logging in again I only see a black screen. Thanks everyone for the reply...
  4. I closed start in task manager

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Device manager unresponsive, and then doesnt close.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Device manager unresponsive, and then doesnt close.: Trying to open the device manager because I need to update my sound drivers because their broken an whole different post.The device manager just becomes unresponsive, and then after a bit, the "not responsive" message shows up, and then, if Ipress to close it, it just stays...
  6. Device manager unresponsive, and then doesnt close.

Device manager unresponsive, and then doesnt close.: Trying to open the device manager because I need to update my sound drivers because their broken an whole different post.The device manager just becomes unresponsive, and then after a bit, the "not responsive" message shows up, and then, if Ipress to close it, it just stays...
  7. Win11 Task Manager crashes when closing Task Manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win11 Task Manager crashes when closing Task Manager: GDay All,I have an issue with Task Manager. Whenever I try to close Task Manager it hangs and will not close. Clicking on the close button several times will eventually show the 'not responding' message and it will then pop up a dialogue allowing you to close the program or...
  8. Win11 Task Manager crashes when closing Task Manager

Win11 Task Manager crashes when closing Task Manager: GDay All,I have an issue with Task Manager. Whenever I try to close Task Manager it hangs and will not close. Clicking on the close button several times will eventually show the 'not responding' message and it will then pop up a dialogue allowing you to close the program or...
  9. 82% into windows update and this happens, every time i close and relaunch task manager it...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    82% into windows update and this happens, every time i close and relaunch task manager it...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Tom735428 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lj6f3c/82_into_windows_update_and_this_happens_every/
  10. Windows 10 task manager closes every time I open it.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 task manager closes every time I open it.: Today my task manager started closing every time I try to open it. It has an icon in the task tray area for each time I try to open it, but when I open the task tray they all disappear. I used to have a more detailed view but for the brief moment I can see the task manager...