Windows 10: Task Manager and other programs give unknown publisher warning

Discus and support Task Manager and other programs give unknown publisher warning in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have fairly frequently run Task Manager and Power shell, probably daily. Today, trying to run both Powershell and Task Manager and also when I looked... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by JeffRMiller, Feb 1, 2021.

1. Task Manager and other programs give unknown publisher warning

I have fairly frequently run Task Manager and Power shell, probably daily. Today, trying to run both Powershell and Task Manager and also when I looked at creating a restore point I get a dialog box which says that Powershell.exe Taskmgr.exe have an "Unknown Publisher" and I have not attempted to proceed. I did run the default scan using Microsoft Security Scanner and it showed no infected files. It was recommended that I go to a Restore Point but I have not set one up.

:)

JeffRMiller, Feb 1, 2021

2. Can't run program with 'unknown publisher'

I am attempting to open a program with an unknown publisher.

Before the April 2018 update, I would see a prompt upon lunching the program that would inform me that this program had an unknown publisher. This prompt would allow me to select the 'Run Anyway' option. Since the April 2018 update, this prompt does
    not display. The program does not run and does not show up in the task manager. I currently know of a workaround by disabling a feature in Windows Defender. My question is, will there be a fix for this soon?

Windows Defender Security Center -> App & Browser Control -> turn off -> Check apps and files

MarkDecker1, Feb 1, 2021
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Can't run program with 'unknown publisher'

"Can't run program with 'unknown publisher'"

"I am attempting to open a program with an unknown publisher"

BulldogXX, Feb 1, 2021
  4. Task Manager and other programs give unknown publisher warning

Program on Task Manager Startup tab

Hey Guys,
    This is my first post here as I just joined, but the timing was good as I had this same unknown "program" show up in Task Manager yesterday and didn't know what to make of it. Then I came across your thread here and decided to try Topgundcp's suggestion of adding the 'command line' to the category headings and it worked (tipping the hat to Topgundcp)! The unknown program apparently belongs to Send Anywhere, which would make sense as I believe it had recently been tagged as a pup and quarantined on my system... Thanks for the help....

Task Manager and other programs give unknown publisher warning [​IMG]

ScottATL999, Feb 1, 2021
Thema:

Task Manager and other programs give unknown publisher warning

1. Task Manager and other programs give unknown publisher warning - Similar Threads - Task Manager programs

2. Task Manager is an app from an "unknown publisher"?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Manager is an app from an "unknown publisher"?: I just did a fresh Windows 11 installation. All of the most recent updates have been successfully installed.When I start Task Manager, I get a popup that says "Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to your device?"I thought this might be a...
  3. Task Manager is an app from an "unknown publisher"?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task Manager is an app from an "unknown publisher"?: I just did a fresh Windows 11 installation. All of the most recent updates have been successfully installed.When I start Task Manager, I get a popup that says "Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to your device?"I thought this might be a...
  4. Task Manager is a file from unknown publisher?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Task Manager is a file from unknown publisher?: When I try to launch Task Manager under administrator, I get UAC prompt asking if I want to allow the app from an unknown publisher to make changes to my device. This is a fairly recent problem, just few weeks ago I didn't have it.My initial thought was that it may be...
  5. Task Manager is a file from unknown publisher?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Manager is a file from unknown publisher?: When I try to launch Task Manager under administrator, I get UAC prompt asking if I want to allow the app from an unknown publisher to make changes to my device. This is a fairly recent problem, just few weeks ago I didn't have it.My initial thought was that it may be...
  6. Task Manager is a file from unknown publisher?

7. Unknown Programs in Windows Setting but not in Task Manager

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unknown Programs in Windows Setting but not in Task Manager: Hello, A few days ago, I discovered a line in the Windows Settings->Startup Apps page for a program that doesn't seem to show up anywhere else, like in Task Manager or Autoruns. The item disappears from the screen with each refresh and usually reappears an hour or two later....
  8. A suspiciuos task "Windows" with unknown publisher in startup menu of task manager.

in Windows 10 Customization
    A suspiciuos task "Windows" with unknown publisher in startup menu of task manager.: [ATTACH]I just saw a task called "Windows" with an unknown publisher in startup menu as you can see in screenshot. Tell me that is it a legit task? Is it a common task in every PC?...
  9. Task Manager has unknown publisher and failing Updates

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Task Manager has unknown publisher and failing Updates: Hi, Recently I've noticed that when I open Task Manager it says that the publisher is unknown. Looking on some forums most say to do an sfc /scannow. This yields the result - "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them" I went to...
  10. Unknown program in Task Manager-Startup Programs

Unknown program in Task Manager-Startup Programs: I am using Windows 10 Home up-to-date. Just found this entry (Program) in my Task Manager-Startup Programs. It has no identification except 'Program' . On right click it doesn't show any properties or location just the enable or disable button. I have disabled it but am just...