Windows 10: task manager and settings show different storage capacity than file explorer.

Discus and support task manager and settings show different storage capacity than file explorer. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I don't know the exact specs of this as i didn't buy this laptop but when i checked its storage it was different on my file explorer .searched on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AnupamKhatiwada, Jun 20, 2021.

1. task manager and settings show different storage capacity than file explorer.

I don't know the exact specs of this as i didn't buy this laptop but when i checked its storage it was different on my file explorer .searched on google and didn't find anyone else with the same problem. i have windows version 20H2OS build 19042,1052

:)

AnupamKhatiwada, Jun 20, 2021

2. Blank window in File Explorer and Task Manager after installing Anniversary Update on Windows 10

Hi Lily,

Do let us know if you are able to see any error message/ error code while trying to access File Explorer and Task Manager?

[*]Let us try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.
    [*]
    Step 1: End the Windows Explorer process and create the new one.

• Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc, under Process
      tab, search for Windows Explorer.
    • Right click on it and click on End task.
    • Click on File in the Task Manager
      at top left corner of the window and select Run new task.
    • Type explorer.exe and click on Ok.

Step 2: Run SFC scan.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. If a
    Windows Resource Protection (WRP) file is missing or is corrupted, Windows may not behave as expected.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).

• Type “sfc /scannow” without the quotes and hit
      Enter.

• After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Step 3: Run Memory Diagnostic Tool.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key and type
      Memory Diagnostic
    • Select Windows Memory Diagnostics
      and click on Restart now and check for problems.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of accessing File Explorer and Task Manager for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jun 20, 2021
  3. ChriDo Win User
    External Hard Drive not showing under Settings > Storage

An external hard drive is not shown in Windows 10 Pro > Settings > System > Storage. It can also not be selected to save new content on it (Storage > More storage settings > Change where new content is saved.

The hard drive does show up in the disk manger, file explorer and even as Backup (Settings > Update & security > Backup).

Unsuccessful attempts to fix:

Info:

• System: Windows 10 Pro
    • Version: 1703 (Build 15063.877)
    • Hard Drive: WD Elements 2TB, USB 3.0
    • Format: NTFS, ReFS, FAT32 (tried all)

ChriDo, Jun 20, 2021
  4. task manager and settings show different storage capacity than file explorer.

Storage Space shows low capacity warning

Hello Chaeril,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

Windows created the low disk space warning to alert computer users when their hard drive is running low on available disk space. However in your case, the warning itself shows incorrect while there is still space left.

To be able to assist you better please let us know few more details on the below questions.

1. What is the make and the model of your computer?

2. Is the D: drive which you have shared the information about a secondary drive or a primary drive (Windows drive)?

Before proceeding, please check if the same issue occur when logged in through a different user account.

Ref:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-set-up-accounts

This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow
    the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

• In Command prompt type
      sfc/scannow
      and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.
    If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps to employ the DISM command lines:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.

• In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.
    If the above recommendation did not work, I would suggest you to follow the below steps as a work around to stop the Windows notification of low disk space.

• Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard to open the Run Command Dialog Box.
    • Type in regedit to open the Registry Editor.
    • Navigate down to HKEY_CURRENT_USER / Software / Microsoft / Windows / CurrentVersion / Policies / Explorer
    • If the NoLowDiskSpaceChecks key is not there, right-click to create a new DWORD value with that name.
    • Double-click on NoLowDiskSpaceChecks, enter 1 for the value
    • Press OK and exit from REGEDIT.
    Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore,
    make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following
    article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (How to back up and restore the registry in Windows )

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further information, feel free to write to us and we would be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Jun 20, 2021
Thema:

task manager and settings show different storage capacity than file explorer.

1. task manager and settings show different storage capacity than file explorer. - Similar Threads - task manager settings

2. Why does my file drives and my task manager have different capacity?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my file drives and my task manager have different capacity?: For example, in my Task Manager, Disk 0. C: It already upgraded to 1 TB storage meanwhileIn my file explorer, it show me Window C: with 219 GB only...
  3. Why does my file drives and my task manager have different capacity?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does my file drives and my task manager have different capacity?: For example, in my Task Manager, Disk 0. C: It already upgraded to 1 TB storage meanwhileIn my file explorer, it show me Window C: with 219 GB only...
  4. Is there a way to see storage capacity on file explorer by default?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to see storage capacity on file explorer by default?: I remember in windows 10, I was able to see the storage capacity of my drives but then the feature was gone somehow and on Windows 11 I still don't know how to turn it back on.I mean like instead of having to right click, properties and look at the storage there, it used to...
  5. Is there a way to see storage capacity on file explorer by default?

Is there a way to see storage capacity on file explorer by default?: I remember in windows 10, I was able to see the storage capacity of my drives but then the feature was gone somehow and on Windows 11 I still don't know how to turn it back on.I mean like instead of having to right click, properties and look at the storage there, it used to...
  6. Storage pool shows correct capacity, explorer does not

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage pool shows correct capacity, explorer does not: I have a storage pool with two 14TB disks. I recently added another 14TB disk to the pool, it shows the disk in the storage pool and the correct capacity is listed. In explorer and any other way to access the drive, it only shows the capacity of the two disks....
  7. Storage pool shows correct capacity, explorer does not

Storage pool shows correct capacity, explorer does not: I have a storage pool with two 14TB disks. I recently added another 14TB disk to the pool, it shows the disk in the storage pool and the correct capacity is listed. In explorer and any other way to access the drive, it only shows the capacity of the two disks....
  8. Storage usage different than Storage in explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage usage different than Storage in explorer: I really need help with this problem I am having that I cannot find anyone else that has the same problem. So on the Storage free in the Settings. it says I have a lot less, this actually effects windows 10 stores downloads and updates. On the storage on the Windows explorer...
  9. File Explorer show different size for external HDD than does Disk Management

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer show different size for external HDD than does Disk Management: Disk management shows external L drive with 931.32 GB, but when I look at it in File Explorer, it only shows 453 GB. The disk previously had three partitions Mac, Linux and Windows. I used parted in Linux to delete the two non-NTFS partitions and expand the NTFS partition...
  10. Why does Storage Spaces show a different used capacity than Explorer?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why does Storage Spaces show a different used capacity than Explorer?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Clinqk [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e45ft8/why_does_storage_spaces_show_a_different_used/