Windows 10: Task Manager - Can the "Name" column be removed or moved?

Discus and support Task Manager - Can the "Name" column be removed or moved? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi, I am used to using Windows 7, where the image name is the leftmost column and the "description" column can be removed completely. I have recently... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/TheGruskinator, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Task Manager - Can the "Name" column be removed or moved?

Hi,

I am used to using Windows 7, where the image name is the leftmost column and the "description" column can be removed completely. I have recently switched to Windows 10 and now, the "Name" column (which was previously the description column) is now fixed to the left. I can drag to move around other columns, but I cannot move the "Name" column. Nor can I seem to remove it: right-clicking on the columns shows a checklist of columns that do NOT include the "Name" one.

Is it possible to hide and/or move the name column to the far right where I cannot see it? I am used to working with process name and the "Name" column takes up a lot of useless space. The only "solution" I have found is to make the width of it as minimal as possible, and this leaves a small blank column on the left, and all I can see of the title is "N..." but I wonder if there is a better way to go about it. Thanks!

submitted by /u/TheGruskinator
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/TheGruskinator, Aug 1, 2020

2. Task Manager columns will NOT stay hidden.

Simple question, every time I open task manager, it shows the following columns.

Status, CPU, Memory, Disk, Network, GPU, GPU Engine, Power Usage, Power Usage Trend.

I right click on the colum headings, and remove the 'tick' from all of the columns, except for 'CPU, Disk, Memory, and Network'

HOWEVER, as soon as I close it down and next re-open Task Manager, lo and behold, it's reverted BACK to the columns showing at the start of this question. HOW do you turn off these columns that I don't want to see, and KEEP THEM HIDDEN!!!!!!!

Another thing, if I drag the columns into the order that I ACTUALLY want to see them in, After Task Manager is closed, and restarted, they have all move BACK to where I DIDN'T want them!

Oh, and another thing, each time it opens now, I have to ALWAYS click on the 'show more details' option. I have found this happens no matter what method I use to open Task Manager, either the CTRL-ALT-DEL or CTRL-SHIFT-ESCAPE methods.

I am using the very latest version of windows 10 64-bit Professional. This never happened till only recently, with the latest update for windows 10.

OH, and before anyone starts saying 'oh this isn't the correct discussion to post this question in', I don't see any Windows Topics in the list that state 'General questions about windows'. If anyone does know the correct topic this should be under, PLEWASE
    feel free to tell me, and I'll post it in the RIGHT one.

bryangee733, Aug 1, 2020
  3. VinceB Win User
    Task Manager-Status Column Symbol

Hi:

When running Task Manager-Processes, I see, within the Status column, a symbol that I do not know the meaning of.

Task Manager - Can the "Name" column be removed or moved? [​IMG]

This symbol (see screenshot above) appears at the right side border edge within the Processes-Status column. I presently see the same symbol associated with three tasks, e.g., Cortana, Settings, and Windows Default Lock Screen; each of those tasks also has a second (expanded) line with "Suspended" and the same symbol again shown.

Can anyone help me to learn the meaning of the symbol described?

Thanks for reading this. Be well and stay safe.

VinceB, Aug 1, 2020
  4. ElderN Win User

Task Manager - Can the "Name" column be removed or moved?

Task Manager

Windows comes with some built-in accounts for things like Services.

In your Task Manager at the top click View, Select Columns and enable (put a check in the box for) User Name.

Now you will see "who" is running all those things and it might be SYSTEM, LOCAL SERVICE, NETWORK SERVICE - and your login.

You can click the column header to sort by User Name to see it a little better.

ElderN, Aug 1, 2020
Thema:

Task Manager - Can the "Name" column be removed or moved?

1. Task Manager - Can the "Name" column be removed or moved? - Similar Threads - Task Manager Name

2. What icons and their meaning are in the status column of Task Manager?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What icons and their meaning are in the status column of Task Manager?: What icons and their meaning are in the status column of Task Manager? For example there is a green leaf icon that means economy mode. I believe there are at least 3 other icons that can show in task manager status but i don't see an explanation for them. Shouldn't there be a...
  3. What icons and their meaning are in the status column of Task Manager?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What icons and their meaning are in the status column of Task Manager?: What icons and their meaning are in the status column of Task Manager? For example there is a green leaf icon that means economy mode. I believe there are at least 3 other icons that can show in task manager status but i don't see an explanation for them. Shouldn't there be a...
  4. How to remove the task manager?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove the task manager?: I can see why you vermin keep deleting it. I get it, it's shameful and embarrassing that you can't make a proper task manager, so I remade it for myself. Just wanna know how to remove your trash....
  5. disk and network columns are missing in task manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    disk and network columns are missing in task manager: disk and network columns are missing in task managerI updated everything in windows update and my build is 22623.1105 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-and-network-columns-are-missing-in-task/46f8cc7e-c9a8-46b2-9f37-980874da05c8
  6. disk and network columns are missing in task manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    disk and network columns are missing in task manager: disk and network columns are missing in task managerI updated everything in windows update and my build is 22623.1105 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-and-network-columns-are-missing-in-task/46f8cc7e-c9a8-46b2-9f37-980874da05c8
  7. Task Manager-Status Column Symbol

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Task Manager-Status Column Symbol: Hi: When running Task Manager-Processes, I see, within the Status column, a symbol that I do not know the meaning of. [img] This symbol (see screenshot above) appears at the right side border edge within the Processes-Status column. I presently see the same symbol...
  8. can i remove this virus name from my Startup Section on Task Manager

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    can i remove this virus name from my Startup Section on Task Manager: hello, i can ask to remove this [ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH] the virus is gone i already scan it with Malwarebytes but i dont know why it still on "startup" tab on my task manager ??...
  9. Task Manager columns will NOT stay hidden.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Task Manager columns will NOT stay hidden.: Simple question, every time I open task manager, it shows the following columns. Status, CPU, Memory, Disk, Network, GPU, GPU Engine, Power Usage, Power Usage Trend. I right click on the colum headings, and remove the 'tick' from all of the columns, except for 'CPU, Disk,...
  10. Task Manager App Name Bug ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Task Manager App Name Bug ?: Upgraded from 8.1, finished installing all W10 updates and I was looking in the App History tab in Task Manager and I saw this : [img] What the heck is that ? I need to say that I checked for updates in the Store App and it downloaded 2 updates for 2 unknown...