Windows 10: Task Manager: disappearing network adapters after a while

Discus and support Task Manager: disappearing network adapters after a while in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; As you can see, I've just opened the task manager, showing my network cards and their usage. This is what everyone would expect. [ATTACH] But,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by cocus_ar, Apr 16, 2020.

1. cocus_ar Win User

Task Manager: disappearing network adapters after a while

As you can see, I've just opened the task manager, showing my network cards and their usage. This is what everyone would expect.

Task Manager: disappearing network adapters after a while 066757e6-1fbc-4bb8-afc6-8ee730c5ac19?upload=true.png

But, there's something that's getting annoying. After a while probably after a hibernation or a network disable/enable, some networks vanish from the list.

What's also weird is that if the interface manages to re-appear on the list, then I would see the main WiFi adapter traffic on a random interface.

Task Manager: disappearing network adapters after a while 288f2400-f45c-49db-bfca-3ca20b3b19ec?upload=true.png

For instance, my main WiFi traffic shows up on a VMware interface, which in some cases could be the only interface that shows in the task manager. Even if that interface shouldn't get any traffic i.e. no VMs running.

To trigger this particular example, I just had to disable a network interface and re enable it; WITHOUT closing the task manager.

After killing the task manager and reopening it, the proper list of interfaces shows up and the traffic shows fine.

I would say it's a minor annoyance but... It's a bug.

This happened since the betas of Windows 10 I've tried.

:)

cocus_ar, Apr 16, 2020
  2. jwblue Win User

Wireless adapter not found in Device Manager

I ran the Lenovo Solution Center. Network Adapter was not listed in the hardware scanned. Not sure if there is a separate listing for that normally or not.

Ever since I ran a power cycle the adapter has not appeared in the Device Manager.

Does anyone believe removing the adapter and putting it back would solve the issue? I would rather not open my computer if there is little chance of it solving the issue. I am a complete novice doing this.

Not sure if this is relevant but in my Network Adapter in Device Manager there was "Microsoft Kernel Debug Network Adapter". It has since disappeared.

jwblue, May 23, 2020
  3. network adapters

Hi, Michael.

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

As per my understanding, you may be facing an issue with your driver updates.

I suggest that you perform the steps mentioned below and check if it helps you resolve your issue.

Method 1: Network troubleshooting

• On the search bar type “Troubleshooting”
        • Click on “Network and Internet”
        • Click on “Network Adapter” and run the troubleshooter.

Method 2: Download and install the latest firmware updates for the Network adapter

Follow these steps to un-install the drivers:

• On the search bar type “ Device Manager”
    • On the left pane locate “Network Adapter” and expand by clicking on it
    • Right on the “ Network driver” option and click “Uninstall’
    • Download the latest Wireless network adapter driver setup file from the manufacturer’s website and install it.

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the above information in order to assist you accordingly.

For further assistance, you can post your query in Microsoft Community

Vanessa Sohtun, May 23, 2020
  4. Task Manager: disappearing network adapters after a while

Wifi adapter completely disappeared, not listed in Device Manager

I'm asking this question not for myself but for anyone who might run into the same problem as me in the future, to save them a lot of time and possibly panic.

I had a BSOD (an undiagnosed graphics issue that is triggered by Skype conference calls). When I rebooted, my wifi adapter had completely disappeared (a Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A; the computer is a Lenovo Yoga 710-14IKB). The network troubleshooter couldn't bring it back and it had completely disappeared from Device Manager. I plugged in an ethernet adapter and tried downloading and twice reinstalling the driver and then rebooting, but that didn't work. I ran "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" and then "sfc /scannow" in an adminstrator PowerShell, but still no joy. I then booted into MX Linux from a USB stick, but that couldn't see the wireless adapter either. By this point I was convinced that the BSOD had killed the wireless adapter hardware, but I tried one more thing. I rebooted into the UEFI settings and looked to see whether the adapter was listed as enabled there. Apparently it was, so I changed nothing and then selected "save and exit". When Windows started up again, the adapter was working. I then tried rebooting into MX Linux and the adapter was working there too.

Which of the steps I took is most likely to have resolved the problem? Was it when I opened the UEFI settings and saved them without changing them?

ricecrispies, May 23, 2020
Thema:

Task Manager: disappearing network adapters after a while

1. Task Manager: disappearing network adapters after a while - Similar Threads - Task Manager disappearing

2. Wireless Network Adapter disappeared from Device Manager after downgrade to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wireless Network Adapter disappeared from Device Manager after downgrade to Windows 10: I recently bought a new ASUS ROG laptop; it came with windows 11, which was completely unusable for me as Davinci Resolve will not run on it. I did not realize this fully within the 10 day allotment that you get to easily downgrade to Windows 10. So, I just installed windows...
  3. Wireless Network Adapter disappeared from Device Manager after downgrade to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wireless Network Adapter disappeared from Device Manager after downgrade to Windows 10: I recently bought a new ASUS ROG laptop; it came with windows 11, which was completely unusable for me as Davinci Resolve will not run on it. I did not realize this fully within the 10 day allotment that you get to easily downgrade to Windows 10. So, I just installed windows...
  4. Network Adapter Disappeared

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Network Adapter Disappeared: Hi all, Yesterday I noticed that my Wifi connection on my HP PC Windows 10 dropped and gave me the notifiation “Not connected - no connections available”. I hadn’t done anything different so it was a bit odd. After looking through the device manager and some quick fix...
  5. Task Manager has disappeared

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Task Manager has disappeared: Task Manager has disappeared. When I type Task manager in the search box, and select the App, I get the following error message: Windows cannot find 'C:\Windows\system32\taskmgr.exe'. Make sure you've typed the name correctly, then try again. I own the PC, so I am the...
  6. Network adapter disappears

Network adapter disappears: Hi, After upgrading from W7 to W10 Home edition on an old Packard-Bell PC, connection with the LAN is often lost. If I look Network Connections in the Network and Sharing Center, the adapter has disappeared. If I then go the Device Manager, the adapter is shown as not...
  7. Task Manager: disappearing network adapter after a while

Task Manager: disappearing network adapter after a while: As you can see, I've just opened the task manager, showing my network cards and their usage. This is what everyone would expect. [ATTACH] But, there's something that's getting annoying. After a while probably after a hibernation or a network disable/enable, some networks...
  8. Network adapter not showing up in task manager.

Network adapter not showing up in task manager.: I was trying to setup a mobile hotspot and it wasn't working so I uninstalled the device from task manager and was hoping to just scan for hardware changes it be there and I reinstall drivers but it's completely gone and I can't find it tried installing drivers restarting pc...
  9. HVsilcs Network Adapter disappearing.

HVsilcs Network Adapter disappearing.: Hello Everyone. In the past I have a created some threads about Windows Defender Application Guard and several issues I have come to found. Previously, I managed to get it to run by doing a fresh install after upgrading to 1903. The issue is that I cannot find the...
  10. network adapter driver disappeared

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    network adapter driver disappeared: Microsoft did an update last Tuesday and somehow my network adapter driver disappeared so I can't get on the internet. Where can I go to get my network driver back? I assume that I will have to download it to a USB and then install it on my computer. Thanks....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ethernet adapter disappears from task manager

2. remove Network Adapter in task manager