Windows 10: Task manager doesn't show drive letters next to some drives

Discus and support Task manager doesn't show drive letters next to some drives in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm on 2004, but the issue was there in 1909. On the performance tab of task viewer, for some reason some of my drives, don't show the drive letter... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bobsagetfullhou, May 9, 2020.

1. Task manager doesn't show drive letters next to some drives

I'm on 2004, but the issue was there in 1909.

On the performance tab of task viewer, for some reason some of my drives, don't show the drive letter next to them.

Task manager doesn't show drive letters next to some drives [​IMG]

:)

bobsagetfullhou, May 9, 2020
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, May 9, 2020
  3. 2nd and 3rd hard drives show two drive Letters

Hello Andre: I followed the instructions carefully and this is what this process amounted to. I followed this step by step.

Press Windows key + X - Worked fine

Click Disk Management - Worked fine

If you see your drive listed there, but no drive letter, right click it -
    All my drives showed up with there drive letters. When I clicked on the drive - Local Disk (D) (ITask manager doesn't show drive letters next to some drives :). The panel came up " change drive letter and path.

Click Change Drive Letter and Paths - for local disk (D)" and in the panel it said "Allow access to this volume by using the following drive letter and paths". In
    the panel that shows up it shows a drive icon and the letter I: . Below this are the options to ADD, CHANGE and REMOVE.

Click Add - When I click the ADD button a new panel comes up and the only option allowed is "Mount in the following empty NTFS folder". When I enter the letter D:
    ( the drive letter I'm trying to get too) and click on the OK button it opens a new panel comes up and tells me "The device is not ready".

Click Assign the following drive letter - I then go back a few panels and select CHANGE, this time the same panel opens up but this time the other option is locked
    in as my only choice - "Assign the following drive letter". I enter D: again and in the pull down menu the letter D is not available for me to choose.

Click in the Drive letter list box - Then I go back to the previous panel and select REMOVE, now the new panel tells me "Some of the programs you rely on drive letters
    might not respond correctly. Are you sure you want to remove this drive letter. I did not proceed as I've done this before and it does remove the drive letter I: but the in Disk Management the now D: dive is no longer accessible.

So now I have explored all three options that were presented when I right clicked on the "Click Change Drive Letter and Paths" In the end I was not able to remove the drive letters I and J from disk management

Thanks very much for the assistance, do you have any other suggestions I can use to correct this issue? I thought I might try deleting the D letter leaving the drive letter I, then going back in and try changing that
    drive letter back to D done in two separate steps??? Bill

billmasonismad, May 9, 2020
  4. Task manager doesn't show drive letters next to some drives

2nd and 3rd hard drives show two drive Letters

Hi Bill

My name is Andre Da Costa; an Independent Consultant, Windows Insider MVP and Windows & Devices for IT MVP. I'm here to help you with your problem.

Did you go through these steps to assign the drive letters you prefer?

Press Windows key + X

Click Disk Management

If you see your drive listed there, but no drive letter, right click it

Click Change Drive Letter and Paths

Click Add

Click Assign the following drive letter

Click in the Drive letter list box

Choose a drive letter - try choosing letters near the end of the alphabet

Click OK

Click OK again

Andre for Directly, May 9, 2020
Thema:

Task manager doesn't show drive letters next to some drives

1. Task manager doesn't show drive letters next to some drives - Similar Threads - Task manager doesn't

2. Task Manager doesn't show processes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Manager doesn't show processes: Hello, I have the same problem described in this other Microsoft issue, with the only difference I am on windows 11. Task manager doesn't show processes but the other tabs and graphs work correctly. The thing is, for me process explorer and process hacker task manager...
  3. Task Manager doesn't show processes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task Manager doesn't show processes: Hello, I have the same problem described in this other Microsoft issue, with the only difference I am on windows 11. Task manager doesn't show processes but the other tabs and graphs work correctly. The thing is, for me process explorer and process hacker task manager...
  4. External Drive Keeps Skipping Drive Letter E and Showing Drive Letter F - Disk Management...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Drive Keeps Skipping Drive Letter E and Showing Drive Letter F - Disk Management...: Hi everyone,I'm facing an ongoing issue with my external SSD, as it consistently skips drive letter E and defaults to drive letter F every time I connect it to my computer. Despite attempting to fix it through Disk Management and changing the drive letter back to E, it only...
  5. External Drive Keeps Skipping Drive Letter E and Showing Drive Letter F - Disk Management...

External Drive Keeps Skipping Drive Letter E and Showing Drive Letter F - Disk Management...: Hi everyone,I'm facing an ongoing issue with my external SSD, as it consistently skips drive letter E and defaults to drive letter F every time I connect it to my computer. Despite attempting to fix it through Disk Management and changing the drive letter back to E, it only...
  6. Drive at 100% on task manager

Drive at 100% on task manager: My computer recently hasn’t been stuck at 100% drive. When not running any programs the percentage goes back down to a reasonable number but as soon as you run even a single browser tab it skyrockets.I really don’t know what to do.I’ve tried every fix imaginable, everything...
  7. Drive at 100% on task manager

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Drive at 100% on task manager: My computer recently hasn’t been stuck at 100% drive. When not running any programs the percentage goes back down to a reasonable number but as soon as you run even a single browser tab it skyrockets.I really don’t know what to do.I’ve tried every fix imaginable, everything...
  8. DVD drive letter not showing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD drive letter not showing: DVD drive letter not showing in Win 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-drive-letter-not-showing/46115d53-baad-49ba-904f-b73fb669a6f7
  9. Storage spaces doesn't show some of my drives

Storage spaces doesn't show some of my drives: I have a 250GB SSD with the operating system, 2 identical 1.8 TB Hard Drives and a 1TB drive: I want to mirror the 2 identical drives in Storage Spaces, but only the 1TB and one of the 1.8 TB drives are visible in Storage spaces All drives are visible and accessible with...
  10. A drive takes up a letter, doesn't appear in disk management

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    A drive takes up a letter, doesn't appear in disk management: Hello After reinstalling win10 i noticed that i have a drive that takes up a letter and it doesn't appear in disk management, so i can't change it's letter to something like Z: and hide it. It's nothing major but I'd just like F: to be the letter that pendrives get when i...