Windows 10: Task manager freeze and general slowiness after VM excessive usage

Discus and support Task manager freeze and general slowiness after VM excessive usage in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Using a 3D application I arrived to allocate 110GB of memory on my system with 32GB of physical RAM. With the F: HDD working at 100% for 1h and the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by davide445, Oct 4, 2019.

1. davide445 Win User

Task manager freeze and general slowiness after VM excessive usage

Using a 3D application I arrived to allocate 110GB of memory on my system with 32GB of physical RAM.
    With the F: HDD working at 100% for 1h and the whole system unresponsive I decided to kill the app.

The VM is managed from Win10, that decided to don't use the main C: OS SSD since not enough space is available.

Now every time I open the task manager this freeze after a couple of seconds.
    Other monitoring tools such as Moo System Monitor are instead working fine.

I searched the pagefile.sys but appear to have returned to a normal size. Primary C SSD drive was almost filled from a hyberfil.sys huge file, so I disabled hybernation to gain space.
    The system also need a long time for opening explorer the F: HDD drive.

Not sure what else to do, want to ask some advice.

:)

davide445, Oct 4, 2019
  2. Allan Mej Win User

Windows 10 excessive bandwidth usage

Kindly try performing a Clean Boot on your PC. A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts causes excessive bandwidth usage.
    You may also troubleshoot or determine what conflict is causing the problem by performing a clean boot. To do so, follow these steps:

• On the Search box, type msconfig and press Enter.
    • On the Services tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then tap or click Disable all.
    • On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click Open Task Manager.
    • On the Startup tab in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then click Disable.

Keep us posted.

Allan Mej, Oct 4, 2019
  3. Task Manager High CPU Usage

I have the same problem myself with it only happens when I scroll through task manager and open and close it. I don't know this for sure but the reason this probably happens is that you may have a lot of processes running and task manager is using a lot
    of the CPU to process the usage of each program.

What I have done is disable data that I don't need to see like network usage and GPU usage and it drops the CPU usage a bit. I have also enabled everything and scrolled up and down on it and task manager uses almost twice as much.

I would suggest disabling everything but CPU, disk, and RAM, (I would not suggest having GPU on because it is almost always at 99% unless you have FPS limits).

Niogenesis, Oct 4, 2019
  4. Task manager freeze and general slowiness after VM excessive usage

Task manager showing disk usage 100%

100% disk usage can have many causes.

What are the top 5 processes listed in the task manager using the disk?

Sumit (Independent Advisor), Oct 4, 2019
Thema:

Task manager freeze and general slowiness after VM excessive usage

1. Task manager freeze and general slowiness after VM excessive usage - Similar Threads - Task manager freeze

2. Excessive RAM usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Excessive RAM usage: Why CMD.exe uses a lot of RAM of my laptop ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/excessive-ram-usage/dacef1e8-85fc-4bc5-b7da-eda5cde26715
  3. Task manager and Win 11 general issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task manager and Win 11 general issues: Hey there,My names Mat and I've been having a few different issues after updating to Windows11 but the main issue is to do with my task manager.Everytime I open task manger it appears to be working but will not end any task, update any of the programs on the list and when...
  4. Excessive GPU usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Excessive GPU usage: The solitaire from microsoft started to use EXCESSIVE gpu usage from 50 - 90%. I am thinking that it's a virus but i am not sure. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/excessive-gpu-usage/29ef51da-89ba-4f5b-a3a2-4de0d791f873
  5. Excessive GPU usage

Excessive GPU usage: The solitaire from microsoft started to use EXCESSIVE gpu usage from 50 - 90%. I am thinking that it's a virus but i am not sure. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/excessive-gpu-usage/29ef51da-89ba-4f5b-a3a2-4de0d791f873
  6. Excessive memory usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Excessive memory usage: How can Windows use so much memory and not have a way to clean it? When I installed it, the system didn't take up that much, I left the SDD only for the system and the HD for my programs, today I opened a guide on the Microsoft website to clean the C: disk, but there are...
  7. Excessive memory usage

Excessive memory usage: How can Windows use so much memory and not have a way to clean it? When I installed it, the system didn't take up that much, I left the SDD only for the system and the HD for my programs, today I opened a guide on the Microsoft website to clean the C: disk, but there are...
  8. Desktop Windows Manager - Excessive memory usage

Desktop Windows Manager - Excessive memory usage: New Acer Aspire TC-895 only 3 weeks old. I have noticed ever since my Windows 10 Home upgraded to Version 20H2, OS build 19042.804, I have had issues with Desktop Windows Manager DWM using excessive memory. After a restart the amount of memory used by DWM continues to grow....
  9. 100% disk usage in the task manager.. freezes my computer

100% disk usage in the task manager.. freezes my computer: Hello all, Any help would be highly appreciated!!1 I have updated the windows with the fall creators in Jan/Feb 2018 and from then 100% disk usage problem started which made my laptop useless.. i have tried many solutions to bring it back to normal but nothing worked so...
  10. Excessive CPU Usage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Excessive CPU Usage: I have a hard time running programs because its always lagging. Even if I run a single tab. Even if I run a single program. And even when it's idle on the desktop screen with no running programs. It always seems to use like near 50% of CPU then goes to 100%. I always kill...