Windows 10: Task Manager is hogging the CPU

Discus and support Task Manager is hogging the CPU in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Thinkpad X1 Carbon 6th gen, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, auto updates. Crapware startup routines disabled except for a couple of printer updaters. Lately I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by WilliamRosenblatt, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Task Manager is hogging the CPU

Thinkpad X1 Carbon 6th gen, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, auto updates. Crapware startup routines disabled except for a couple of printer updaters.

Lately I have noticed laggy system performance. I see that Task Manager is hogging the CPU, routinely taking up 15-20% of the CPU. I haven't made any recent changes, e.g. no applications installed. I also notice that Task Manager itself takes several seconds to start up and sometimes I even get a message that it is non-responsive. Any idea what the problem is?

Thanks!

- bill.

:)

WilliamRosenblatt, Sep 10, 2019

2. Task Manager High CPU Usage

I have the same problem myself with it only happens when I scroll through task manager and open and close it. I don't know this for sure but the reason this probably happens is that you may have a lot of processes running and task manager is using a lot
    of the CPU to process the usage of each program.

What I have done is disable data that I don't need to see like network usage and GPU usage and it drops the CPU usage a bit. I have also enabled everything and scrolled up and down on it and task manager uses almost twice as much.

I would suggest disabling everything but CPU, disk, and RAM, (I would not suggest having GPU on because it is almost always at 99% unless you have FPS limits).

Niogenesis, Sep 10, 2019
  3. Task Manager has different CPU Usage

Hi,I am Vanshita, an Independent Windows Advisor. I am here to work with you on this problem.

I suggest you to go through the below steps and check if it helps.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

Thank you

vanshitavanshita, Sep 10, 2019
  4. weirddave Win User

Task Manager is hogging the CPU

CPU @ 100% in Task Manager.. but in error

Sailindawg, did Resource Monitor show some silly high % use, in the millions/billions? Does the 'Details' tab in Task Manager show 'System Idle Process' normal? It does sound like you have the same issue, I've still not fixed it. You might be lucky and a BIOS update works for you as it has others, I'm stuck on the B2 stepping which means I can't upgrade the BIOS *Sad

MrPumpkin, what process does task manager say is using the most CPU usage?

weirddave, Sep 10, 2019
Thema:

Task Manager is hogging the CPU

1. Task Manager is hogging the CPU - Similar Threads - Task Manager hogging

2. Task manager cpu speed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task manager cpu speed: So my task manager shows 1.50 ghz speed, even if i open a ton of apps, its usually below that but when i try to max it out it only caps at 1.5 ghz. And it shows the max seed is 1.8 ghz yet i can go more than 5 ghz,My pc specs:Dell inspiron 14 5410, i7 1196G7. 12 gb ram with...
  3. Task manager cpu speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task manager cpu speed: So my task manager shows 1.50 ghz speed, even if i open a ton of apps, its usually below that but when i try to max it out it only caps at 1.5 ghz. And it shows the max seed is 1.8 ghz yet i can go more than 5 ghz,My pc specs:Dell inspiron 14 5410, i7 1196G7. 12 gb ram with...
  4. Task manager resource hog... until

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task manager resource hog... until: Hi there,I have a Dell 7710 workstation with Win10 pro 64bit, 21H2, 19044.1526, 32gb ram and 3xSSD = 2 TBThe issue is with all programs closed, sitting in idle lid open or closed, after a short time the fans turn on and resources are hogged. If I open task manager the highest...
  5. Task manager resource hog... until

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task manager resource hog... until: Hi there,I have a Dell 7710 workstation with Win10 pro 64bit, 21H2, 19044.1526, 32gb ram and 3xSSD = 2 TBThe issue is with all programs closed, sitting in idle lid open or closed, after a short time the fans turn on and resources are hogged. If I open task manager the highest...
  6. Task manager resource hog... until

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Hidden CPU hogs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hidden CPU hogs: When high CPU usage is sapping a PC, I often can't find the cause in Task Manager. The total CPU use will be high, but no processes will be visible actually hogging the CPU. "Show all processes" or Resource Monitor don't reveal the culprit either. What is usually going on in...
  8. antimalware is hogging my cpu

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    antimalware is hogging my cpu: how do I remove antimalware https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/antimalware-is-hogging-my-cpu/8e04655c-8234-4499-8e05-1430e3a57db8"
  9. After Latest updates on 1803 Task Manager 'hogs' the focus

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    After Latest updates on 1803 Task Manager 'hogs' the focus: Hi All, The other day my W10 Pro got an new batch of updates and they installed automatically. Before those updates I could simply change windows by clicking in any window and this would bring it to the front. It still does this, UNLESS I happen to have Task Manager...
  10. task manager cpu speed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    task manager cpu speed: Just this past month my cpu speed is down to around 1.5GHz but it used to be around 2.5GHz. My computer is also slower. Does anyone know why this is and how to solve this issue? 62782