Windows 10: Task Manager is hogging the CPU

Discus and support Task Manager is hogging the CPU in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Thinkpad X1 Carbon 6th gen, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, auto updates. Crapware startup routines disabled except for a couple of printer updaters. Lately I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by WilliamRosenblatt, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Task Manager is hogging the CPU

Thinkpad X1 Carbon 6th gen, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, auto updates. Crapware startup routines disabled except for a couple of printer updaters.

Lately I have noticed laggy system performance. I see that Task Manager is hogging the CPU, routinely taking up 15-20% of the CPU. I haven't made any recent changes, e.g. no applications installed. I also notice that Task Manager itself takes several seconds to start up and sometimes I even get a message that it is non-responsive. Any idea what the problem is?

Thanks!

- bill.

:)

WilliamRosenblatt, Sep 10, 2019

2. Task Manager High CPU Usage

I have the same problem myself with it only happens when I scroll through task manager and open and close it. I don't know this for sure but the reason this probably happens is that you may have a lot of processes running and task manager is using a lot
    of the CPU to process the usage of each program.

What I have done is disable data that I don't need to see like network usage and GPU usage and it drops the CPU usage a bit. I have also enabled everything and scrolled up and down on it and task manager uses almost twice as much.

I would suggest disabling everything but CPU, disk, and RAM, (I would not suggest having GPU on because it is almost always at 99% unless you have FPS limits).

Niogenesis, Sep 10, 2019
  3. Task Manager has different CPU Usage

Hi,I am Vanshita, an Independent Windows Advisor. I am here to work with you on this problem.

I suggest you to go through the below steps and check if it helps.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

Thank you

vanshitavanshita, Sep 10, 2019
  4. weirddave Win User

Task Manager is hogging the CPU

CPU @ 100% in Task Manager.. but in error

Sailindawg, did Resource Monitor show some silly high % use, in the millions/billions? Does the 'Details' tab in Task Manager show 'System Idle Process' normal? It does sound like you have the same issue, I've still not fixed it. You might be lucky and a BIOS update works for you as it has others, I'm stuck on the B2 stepping which means I can't upgrade the BIOS *Sad

MrPumpkin, what process does task manager say is using the most CPU usage?

weirddave, Sep 10, 2019
Thema:

Task Manager is hogging the CPU

1. Task Manager is hogging the CPU - Similar Threads - Task Manager hogging

2. Task Manager Incorrect CPU Usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Task Manager Incorrect CPU Usage: So for roughly the past couple of weeks, I have been having issues with task manager giving me incorrect readings on the CPU usage. Before noticing this issue, I have been running my 9900K at 4.8 GHz all core with an AVX offset of 1. Initially, reducing my clock speed by 100...
  3. After Latest updates on 1803 Task Manager 'hogs' the focus

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    After Latest updates on 1803 Task Manager 'hogs' the focus: Hi All, The other day my W10 Pro got an new batch of updates and they installed automatically. Before those updates I could simply change windows by clicking in any window and this would bring it to the front. It still does this, UNLESS I happen to have Task Manager...
  4. Mobile Plans Background Task Host Hogs CPU -- and My Computer Is Not Mobile

Mobile Plans Background Task Host Hogs CPU -- and My Computer Is Not Mobile: This morning, after using Task Manager to make SystemInterrupts behave like a cockroach does when the light is turned on, I found something called "Mobile Plans Background Task Host" hogging my CPU. Note that the only thing searching for "Mobile Plans Background Task Host"...
  5. Svchost.exe in sysWOW64 hogging CPU

Svchost.exe in sysWOW64 hogging CPU: I have a windows 10 PC(64-bit). Since the last few days i'm noticing that my PC is running slowly than it should. On opening the task manager i saw that there is an unnamed background process which is utilizing the CPU even when i'm not running any program. I opened up the...
  6. Task Manager shows single CPU

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Task Manager shows single CPU: Hi My Task Manager performance tab only shows one CPU graph, is this usual for W10? Thanks Daniel 74373
  7. CPU @ 100% in Task Manager.. but in error

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    CPU @ 100% in Task Manager.. but in error: Hey guys Screenshot: Imgur Seems to be happening since I installed Windows 10 on my machine. I am 100% sure it is in error as speedfan reports my CPU usage at 1/2% and I am seeing no problems when playing games such as CSGO and h1z1. My motherboard does not have...
  8. CPU 100% load and Boost in task manager but only task manager

CPU 100% load and Boost in task manager but only task manager: I have attached a screenshot of my CPU usage in programs and usage monitors below. I am extremely fed up at this point so hopefully this post will make sense *Smile The problem I have noticed my CPU usage in task manager is always 100% and the boost is always around the...
  9. task manager cpu speed

task manager cpu speed: Just this past month my cpu speed is down to around 1.5GHz but it used to be around 2.5GHz. My computer is also slower. Does anyone know why this is and how to solve this issue? 62782
  10. Windows 10 is a giant CPU hog!!

Windows 10 is a giant CPU hog!!: I can hardly keep my systems running a single program on Windows 10 much less multiple operations. CPU is constantly at 99 or 100% regardless of what I do. Now I'm getting a message stating that due to "low memory" windows is going to close "some programs". Whether I click...