Windows 10: Task Manager - Memory Compression Process?

Discus and support Task Manager - Memory Compression Process? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, In my main system I have a process going that I don't understand. I have 2 computers sitting side by side and when I located this anomaly in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Bradmph, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Bradmph Win User

Task Manager - Memory Compression Process?

Hello,

In my main system I have a process going that I don't understand. I have 2 computers sitting side by side and when I located this anomaly in my main system, I checked my 2nd system and it showed a different set of information.
    I will post the screen snaps here below of each.

This first one is from my main computer I use continuously.
    This image shows what seems to be nothing going on with the Memory Compression and I wonder why it is even in the task listings.

Task Manager - Memory Compression Process? [​IMG]

This second one is my Security Surveillance system running 24/7
    It definitely shows a different set of memory numbers on this image of the Memory Compression. Much more then the above image.

Do I need this listing in my system. In the main system task it looks like it is doing nothing, yet in my security system computer, it has much more information given. What does this task do for the computer?

Thanks for your time

:)

Bradmph, Apr 8, 2017

2. "System compressed memory" Use 40% CPU all the time

Try this:

Restart your computer. After it restarts, right-click the taskbar and run Task Manager. Click the Processes tab and then click CPU. After the display settles down, note the percentage devoted to System and compressed memory. Leave the Task Manager running
    and then minimize it. Use your computer as you normally do, starting and exiting applications at will. From time to time check the Task Manager.

In my case, Task Manager never reports any undue activity related to System and compressed memory; at most it reports 0.1%. If I keep my fingers off the keyboard and mouse, it will drop to 0%.

If I invoke Task Manager AFTER I have been using the computer awhile, System and compressed memory clocks in at about 14% and stays there.

This leads me to suspect that there MAY be a bug in Task Manager with regard to how it tracks System and compressed memory.

Jeremy Atticus Finch, Apr 8, 2017
  3. "System compressed memory" Use 40% CPU all the time

This is not merely a Task Manager reporting error. Hot systems, constantly running fans, and poor battery life attest to actual high CPU usage.

BruceMorris, Apr 8, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

The second one looks normal. What is does is compresses memory before (or instead of) writing to disk.

memory - Windows 10, process taking massive amounts of RAM - Super User

I don't know that Process Manager Software you are using. Why is the first one got a picture of a folder though and the second (working one) doesn't? Are both on same version of Windows?

lx07, Apr 8, 2017
  5. LMiller7 Win User
    Are both computers running with an elevated admin account? If not there will be much information you will not have access to.

LMiller7, Apr 8, 2017
  6. Mystere Win User
    The memory compression process runs all the time. How much work it does varies, based on how much memory you have in the computer, how much load you put on it, how long it's uptime is, etc...

What are the system specs of each computer? How long do you keep each computer up? My guess is that your security system is up 24x7, but your personal system may get shut down routinely. If that's the case, then the statistics are possibly from months of uptime, while your person system may just be from a day or so.

Mystere, Apr 8, 2017
  7. Bradmph Win User
    I am using Windows 10 software only on both systems and no memory software of any kind besides what Windows 10 comes with. Also, I think that looks like a folder because of the highlighted color is over it.

Bradmph, Apr 10, 2017
  8. Bradmph Win User

I run with elevated Admin under my user name. I don't like having to ask permissions each time I do something on these computers. *Smile

Bradmph, Apr 10, 2017
  9. Bradmph Win User
    Actually, I run them both full time, but my user system will be put to sleep sometimes, but power wise I leave it on continuously.

This is my main or user system Specs.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name HOTLOAD
    System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    System Model To be filled by O.E.M.
    System Type x64-based PC
    System SKU To be filled by O.E.M.
    Processor AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor, 4420 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F3, 5/28/2015
    SMBIOS Version 2.7
    Embedded Controller Version 255.255
    BIOS Mode UEFI
    BaseBoard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    BaseBoard Model Not Available
    BaseBoard Name Base Board
    Platform Role Desktop
    Secure Boot State Off
    PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume5
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.14393.206"
    User Name HOTLOAD\
    Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
    Total Physical Memory 16.0 GB
    Available Physical Memory 12.4 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 32.0 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 28.2 GB
    Page File Space 16.0 GB
    Page File E:\pagefile.sys
    Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
    Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

This is my Security System Specs

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name SECURITY
    System Manufacturer MSI
    System Model MS-7693
    System Type x64-based PC
    System SKU To be filled by O.E.M.
    Processor AMD FX(tm)-4100 Quad-Core Processor, 4180 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. V2.8, 1/8/2016
    SMBIOS Version 2.7
    Embedded Controller Version 255.255
    BIOS Mode Legacy
    BaseBoard Manufacturer MSI
    BaseBoard Model Not Available
    BaseBoard Name Base Board
    Platform Role Desktop
    Secure Boot State Unsupported
    PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.14393.206"
    User Name SECURITY\Brad
    Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
    Total Physical Memory 16.0 GB
    Available Physical Memory 13.7 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 16.0 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 13.3 GB
    Page File Space 96.0 MB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
    Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Bradmph, Apr 10, 2017
  10. Bradmph Win User
    I'm Sorry, I forgot I was using Windows 10 Manager Version 2.07 for the information I posted.
    I also decided to run the memory compression check again and strangely I am getting some numbers from it on my user computer system. Here are the results that showed up.

So, I guess the system is using the compression as it should since now there are some numbers being listed.

Bradmph, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Task Manager - Memory Compression Process? - Similar Threads - Task Manager Memory

2. "Task Manager" processes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Task Manager" processes: More of a question of curiosity than an issue ATM. I hope I chose the correct place to post.A few details before I proceed, if needed. I have a Dell Optiplex 3130 that came with Windows 7 Pro, I've upgraded to windows 10 Pro. All updates are current as of two or three days...
  3. "Task Manager" processes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Task Manager" processes: More of a question of curiosity than an issue ATM. I hope I chose the correct place to post.A few details before I proceed, if needed. I have a Dell Optiplex 3130 that came with Windows 7 Pro, I've upgraded to windows 10 Pro. All updates are current as of two or three days...
  4. Task Manager Processes

Task Manager Processes: I was cleaning up processed in Task Manager and must have deleted something I shouldn't have. The appearance of the text in emails and web pages don't look as good. They don't look as crisp and the lines aren't all solid. I'm not sure what to do?...
  5. Task Manager Processes

in Windows 10 Customization
    Task Manager Processes: I was cleaning up processed in Task Manager and must have deleted something I shouldn't have. The appearance of the text in emails and web pages don't look as good. They don't look as crisp and the lines aren't all solid. I'm not sure what to do?...
  6. task manager processes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    task manager processes: I was going through my task manager and suddenly I saw a process which had Microsoft icon four coloured boxes .it suddenly disappeared. I want to know that which process was that because I have never seen it before....
  7. task manager processes

task manager processes: I was going through my task manager and suddenly I saw a process which had Microsoft icon four coloured boxes .it suddenly disappeared. I want to know that which process was that because I have never seen it before....
  8. Processes / Task Manager

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Processes / Task Manager: i have approximately 150-170 processes in task manager every time i open my laptop, is this normal or not ? and my laptop often get hot when i do simpel task like browsing is there any setting that microsoft can do to reduce the processes in task manager? [ATTACH]...
  9. The memory usage of the Task Manager and the "process explorer" is different.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The memory usage of the Task Manager and the "process explorer" is different.: The memory usage of the Task Manager and the "process explorer" is different. Please tell me which program is correct. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-memory-usage-of-the-task-manager-and-the/ad23bd55-73a5-4260-9f81-75168e1a9126
  10. Problem with compressed memory process

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Problem with compressed memory process: Hi I hope I have posted this in the right place I have a problem with the system and compressed memory process I have googled this to death yet nothing I do seems to help As I write this (very slowly) this process is currently using 24% of my CPU ! (system...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. task manager shows something called memory compression with no properties