Windows 10: Task Manager reporting 100% CPU Usage

Discus and support Task Manager reporting 100% CPU Usage in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; So very recently my task manager has started reporting that my CPU has 100% usage all the time even when idle, Then it will drop to around 25% but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Jake._, Aug 8, 2021.

1. Jake._ Win User

Task Manager reporting 100% CPU Usage

So very recently my task manager has started reporting that my CPU has 100% usage all the time even when idle, Then it will drop to around 25% but shoot back up again way above what it actually is. However I know that this is not the case. This is because I have 3 other monitoring programs that all report around the same as each other around 3-8% when idle where as task manager is reporting 100%. I have already run SFC /scannow and DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealthDoes. Does anybody know why this happens and how to fix it?

:)

Jake._, Aug 8, 2021

2. CPU constantly at 100% in task manager

It was yeah. Hasn't changed *Sad Ah well I really appreciate the suggestions. Thanks very much.

dogfacedponysco, Aug 8, 2021
  3. Wuju22 Win User
    100% CPU usage in task manager after upgrading to W10

Thank you Krishna for quick response however it is neither of those reasons. I think it is a bug, it only shows 100% cpu usage but everything works ok . Never had this issue before only started after i updated from windows 7 to 10. The procantage usage
    of cpu on some applications jumps from 5 to 70% in example : the task manager was "using" 80% of cpu and that just can't be right. Having said that i think the task manager's cpu usage shows wrong data (its bugged) somehow.

Wuju22, Aug 8, 2021
  4. Cappycot Win User

Task Manager Incorrect CPU Usage

So for roughly the past couple of weeks, I have been having issues with task manager giving me incorrect readings on the CPU usage. Before noticing this issue, I have been running my 9900K at 4.8 GHz all core with an AVX offset of 1. Initially, reducing
    my clock speed by 100 MHz down to 4.7 GHz all core (AVX offset 0) solved the problem for a couple of weeks, but the problem has now resurfaced despite the CPU literally running at specified stock speeds.

The Task Manager program is incorrectly reporting CPU usage spiking up to 100% at times, sometimes accompanied by the display turning into a black screen for a half-second while playing SCP: Secret Laboratory. Meanwhile, other programs that were running
    at the time such as Google Chrome or DIscord turn into black windows and require restarting. Other programs such as HWiNFO64, Corsair iCUE, and Process Explorer are reporting much lower CPU usage percentages.

Any ideas on what is causing Task Manager to behave like this? I thought Windows shipped out an update that fixed the broken Task Manager, but apparently not for me. I have already tried a clean installation of Windows 10 Pro to no avail.

CPU: i9-9900K @ 4.7 GHz all core

RAM: 4x8 GB @ 3200 MHz, XMP I

Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula, BIOS - American Megatrends Inc. 0905, 4/10/2019

Windows 10.0.17763 Pro Version 1809

OS Build 17763.437

Full Desktop Parts List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Cz87LJ

Task Manager reporting 100% CPU Usage dd7c913e-4097-4f90-bc33-9ac5ca19c456?upload=true.png

This was taken while running a game (SCP: Secret Laboratory, SCPSL.exe). Something seems off with the process explorer too since the game should be the highest in CPU usage, and the CPU use of the processes don't add up to 100%. I have seen this occur when
    the computer freezes for a half-second for no apparent reason.

Task Manager reporting 100% CPU Usage ac99c841-4fdf-4a38-8c7d-afc5e21c7069?upload=true.png

This was also taken while running the same game mentioned above, except this time only the Task Manager is reporting an incorrect CPU usage while Process Explorer says otherwise.

Task Manager reporting 100% CPU Usage 1e4191b2-105b-479f-88b6-4ec40d4b42ca?upload=true.png

This image shows Task Manager claiming that the CPU frequency is being throttled to 3.6 GHz. CPU-Z is reporting a clock speed of about 4.7 GHz. Task Manager also seems to think CPUs #8 and #9 (starting from #0) are going crazy. I've checked both CPUs in
    HWiNFO64 and Process Explorer and found nothing wrong with them.

Task Manager reporting 100% CPU Usage 1f279241-0d95-4c1e-9e4c-c2dd62540003?upload=true.png

This image is another example of incorrect CPU usage where the actual CPU usage is much less than 50%.

Cappycot, Aug 8, 2021
Thema:

1. Task Manager reporting 100% CPU Usage - Similar Threads - Task Manager reporting

2. Task Manager incorrectly claims 100% CPU usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Task Manager incorrectly claims 100% CPU usage: Whenever I open task manager, It will constantly say that my CPU usage is at 100% and doesn't seem to dip below 99%, even when otherwise idle. However, my PC is not having any performance issues I would expect with an overloaded CPU. I can run games and benchmarks without...
  3. Task manager says CPU usage is at 100%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task manager says CPU usage is at 100%: HELP!Task manager says my CPU is at 100% usage but dragon center says it is only at 2% what is going on and how can I fix it?I have a decently powerful CPURyzen 7 3800x so I don't know why I am having this problem. I have increased the Fan speed as seen in the screenshot...
  4. Task manager says CPU usage is at 100%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task manager says CPU usage is at 100%: HELP!Task manager says my CPU is at 100% usage but dragon center says it is only at 2% what is going on and how can I fix it?I have a decently powerful CPURyzen 7 3800x so I don't know why I am having this problem. I have increased the Fan speed as seen in the screenshot...
  5. Task Manager showing 100% CPU usage

Task Manager showing 100% CPU usage: Task Manager showing 100% CPU usage. A few days after I built my PC, all of a sudden task manager started showing 100% CPU usage no matter what programs are running and it was also showing very high power usage. I ended up temporarily fixing the issue after I did a full fresh...
  6. Task Manager showing 100% CPU usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Manager showing 100% CPU usage: Task Manager showing 100% CPU usage. A few days after I built my PC, all of a sudden task manager started showing 100% CPU usage no matter what programs are running and it was also showing very high power usage. I ended up temporarily fixing the issue after I did a full fresh...
  7. Task Manager showing 100% CPU usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. CPU Usage 100% until Task Manager is opened

CPU Usage 100% until Task Manager is opened: Hi,I have a i9-9900k 32gb Windows Pro 21H2 19044.1586 desktop that randomly starts freezing up. As soon as I hit task manager, I can see the CPU is 100% for a second after opening, after which it goes down to normal levels and I can use my PC normally.I have searched for...
  9. KB5000802 - CPU Usage in Task Manager always at 100%

KB5000802 - CPU Usage in Task Manager always at 100%: After install the update "KB5000802", i notice that the Windows Task Manager always shows the CPU usage at 100%, despite the system doesn't have any actual load. As is possible to see in the attached image, the CPU usage in task manager shows 100% and several processes with...
  10. Task manager showing 100% CPU usage at idle.

Task manager showing 100% CPU usage at idle.: Task manager is showing 100% CPU usage at idle. If you look into the details to see what if anything is really using that much processing power and it shows "system idle process" at 99-100% when at idle. This is normal I know but task manager should not be including "system...