Windows 10: Task Manager reporting extreme fluctuating CPU Frequencies

Discus and support Task Manager reporting extreme fluctuating CPU Frequencies in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; TL;DR CPU being displayed between 4.4 and 6.8 GHz Task Manager is showing my CPU frequency as 3.20 in the headline under the Performance tab:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by esbndk, Mar 14, 2019.

1. esbndk Win User

Task Manager reporting extreme fluctuating CPU Frequencies

TL;DR CPU being displayed between 4.4 and 6.8 GHz

Task Manager is showing my CPU frequency as 3.20 in the headline under the Performance tab:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz

Which is the default speed of the CPU. So far so good.

But the realtime display varies between 4.40 GHz to 6.83 GHz.

HWinfo says it is 4.6 GHz which is what I have it OC'ed at.

My processor would fry if were at 6.8 GHz

PC works fine but would be nice if Task Manager also worked correctly

TL;DR CPU being displayed between 4.4 and 6.8 GHz

:)

esbndk, Mar 14, 2019
  2. SackHappy Win User

Overclock cpu max frequency constantly changing in task manager

Hi,

I'm overclocking my Intel 8700k to 5Ghz and every time I check the current frequency in task manager the max is constantly changing. I have high-performance power settings on windows enabled and I have also disabled CPU state and Intel SpeedStep in the BIOS.
    I also noticed that when using other tools to display my GPU and CPU performance they show my CPU max frequency is exactly 5Ghz, why does Task Manager constantly display a constantly changing frequency?

Any suggestions?

Much appreciated

SackHappy, Mar 14, 2019
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Overclock cpu max frequency constantly changing in task manager

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I appreciate the time and efforts to work on the issue.

As per the description, I understand that Task manager displays constant change in CPU frequency. As you have already disabled Intel Speed Step, I suggest you to get in touch with the motherboard manufacturer.

You can also post your query in the
    TechNet forum.

Hope it helps.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Mar 14, 2019
  4. sbrm1 Win User

Why the cpu frequency shows differently in Win10 task manager and system properties?

Your CPU is an 'Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4300I CPU @ 1.90GHz' with '@ 1.90GHz' as a part of that name. Which means that the processor's base frequency1 of your CPU is 1.90 GHz. But here the CPU is telling the system that it's running at 2.63GHz.

For some other CPU's I would have said its overclocked, but your CPU model has a feature known as Turbo Boost2 which enables it to automatically overclock to a higher yet safe frequency based on certain conditions.

The Turbo Boost frequency for your CPU is 2.90 GHz, which means your CPU can attain that frequency under certain conditions but is currently running at 2.63GHz.

Also, Windows calculates the max frequency of your CPU to be 2.50GHz as different algorithms are used to measure processor speed. For example, the algorithm used by Intel in its branded maximum speed is different than the algorithm used by Task Manager to directly measure the speed of the CPU. You can use other processor utilities, such as the Intel Processor Identification Utility or CPU-Z, for additional processor speed measurements.

Also note that Hyper-V as well as VMware is reported to interfere with the clock speed calculation of Task Manager.

I'd stick with CPU-Z for measuring CPU frequency as it's calculation algorithm is much better.

Notes:

1. Processor Base Frequency describes the rate at which the processor's transistors open and close. The processor base frequency is the operating point where TDP is defined. Frequency is measured in gigahertz (GHz), or billion cycles per second.
    2. Intel® Turbo Boost Technology accelerates processor and graphics performance for peak loads, automatically allowing processor cores to run faster than the rated operating frequency if they’re operating below power, current, and temperature specification limits. Whether the processor enters into Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 and the amount of time the processor spends in that state depends on the workload and operating environment.

Sources:

1. https://goo.gl/obtiWG
    2. https://goo.gl/MUtlOr
    3. https://goo.gl/a9Ga3h
    4. https://goo.gl/FotxKq

sbrm1, Mar 14, 2019
Thema:

1. Task Manager reporting extreme fluctuating CPU Frequencies - Similar Threads - Task Manager reporting

2. High fluctuating hdd usage in performance of task manager but no cause shown in task manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High fluctuating hdd usage in performance of task manager but no cause shown in task manager: I have an hp laptop with 4gb ram and 1tb hdd that came installed on the laptop,i have also installed a120gb ssd nvme that is currently running windows ondisk c. Disk d and e is a partition of the hdd. Since recently whenever I open a game which is installed on the ssd, the...
  3. High fluctuating hdd usage in performance of task manager but no cause shown in task manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High fluctuating hdd usage in performance of task manager but no cause shown in task manager: I have an hp laptop with 4gb ram and 1tb hdd that came installed on the laptop,i have also installed a120gb ssd nvme that is currently running windows ondisk c. Disk d and e is a partition of the hdd. Since recently whenever I open a game which is installed on the ssd, the...
  4. High fluctuating hdd usage in performance of task manager but no cause shown in task manager

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Task Manager reporting 100% CPU Usage

Task Manager reporting 100% CPU Usage: So very recently my task manager has started reporting that my CPU has 100% usage all the time even when idle, Then it will drop to around 25% but shoot back up again way above what it actually is. However I know that this is not the case. This is because I have 3 other...
  6. task manager dont show the correct cpu load and the right frequencies.

task manager dont show the correct cpu load and the right frequencies.: task manager says cpu load is 99% but, third party programs say it is 9%; same thing for the frequencies the task manager shows 3.78GHz but instead the frequencies are 4.20GHz [MOVED from It-It to En-Us]...
  7. Task manager reporting surreal CPU frequencies

Task manager reporting surreal CPU frequencies: I've recently purchased a computer with an i7 2700k (Sandy Bridge-DT) on a Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2PV rev 2.2 motherboard. I installed Windows 10 via the Media Creation Tool (version 1903), and from day 1 I'm getting problems with Task manager's CPU frequency readings. Other tools...
  8. Overclock cpu max frequency constantly changing in task manager

Overclock cpu max frequency constantly changing in task manager: Hi, I'm overclocking my Intel 8700k to 5Ghz and every time I check the current frequency in task manager the max is constantly changing. I have high-performance power settings on windows enabled and I have also disabled CPU state and Intel SpeedStep in the BIOS. I also...
  9. Bug Report Task Manager

Bug Report Task Manager: This bug was introduced in Windows 1809 (Redstone 5 Oct 2018 Update). The Task Manager reports total CPU use correctly, as is confirmed by the Resource Monitor. The Resource Monitor reports CPU usage by individual apps correctly but the Task Manager does not. Instead the Task...
  10. Task Manager reporting high processor frequency

Task Manager reporting high processor frequency: After upgrading to version 1809, I've noticed that the Task Manager shows the processor is constantly at turbo boost and running at its highest frequency although Edge is the only app running on this PC at the moment. Performance tab: [ATTACH] Processes tab: [ATTACH]...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. msi tomahawk cpu frequency constantly changing