Windows 10: Task Manager reporting high processor frequency

Discus and support Task Manager reporting high processor frequency in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; After upgrading to version 1809, I've noticed that the Task Manager shows the processor is constantly at turbo boost and running at its highest... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Gamini Weerasiri, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Task Manager reporting high processor frequency

After upgrading to version 1809, I've noticed that the Task Manager shows the processor is constantly at turbo boost and running at its highest frequency although Edge is the only app running on this PC at the moment.

Performance tab:

Task Manager reporting high processor frequency 7d5beb6f-8125-4519-bf87-2ad1355d01da?upload=true.png

Processes tab:

Task Manager reporting high processor frequency 986c6980-3799-4c3d-925d-df884bf4e314?upload=true.png

[notice incorrect CPU usage and drop-down arrows]

I'm guessing as a result of this, Windows Explorer is slower than before. There was a noticeable delay while accessing different folders. Any fixes available?

:)

Gamini Weerasiri, Oct 8, 2018
  2. DaveM121 Win User

processor frequency

The processor without this option probable does not support that feature!

When Processor Frequency is set to 0, this normally indicates a modern processor.

Modern multi-core processors support SpeedStep. This technology is used to ramp up or limit the frequency, depending on the task you are performing.

So for example, I have an i7 rated at 2.8Ghz, when my system is at rest, it runs at about 0.82Ghz, but when I run a processor intensive task it will ramp up to 3.8Ghz, even though my processor is rated at 2.8Ghz

If you have a processor like this, I would leave the Intel Management Software and Windows manage it . . .

DaveM121, Oct 8, 2018
  3. Mattxx Win User
    processor frequency

I have two laptops running windows 10.

One selectable processor frequency under the power management options

The other does not, the selection is not listed.

The computer with the selection, was set to ZERO.

How do I determine the frequency to set it to?

Thanks

Mattxx, Oct 8, 2018
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Task Manager reporting high processor frequency

processor frequency

Yes that processor, while not an Intel will manage its speed depending on the task(s) you throw at it,

I would not change the clockspeed (frequency) manually . . .

DaveM121, Oct 8, 2018
Thema:

Task Manager reporting high processor frequency

1. Task Manager reporting high processor frequency - Similar Threads - Task Manager reporting

2. amd processor frequency problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    amd processor frequency problem: hi i have windows 11 and amd processor 9 5000 5900x frequency set to max and the temp always 4.4 and usage 2% and i don't know what shall i do and i tried alot to contact microsoft chat or support team and i couldn't reach them hope you assist me ASAP to avoid this issue....
  3. amd processor frequency problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    amd processor frequency problem: hi i have windows 11 and amd processor 9 5000 5900x frequency set to max and the temp always 4.4 and usage 2% and i don't know what shall i do and i tried alot to contact microsoft chat or support team and i couldn't reach them hope you assist me ASAP to avoid this issue....
  4. Task manager usage high

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Task manager usage high: i usually dont check this stuff but i checked today, the disk is constantly high above 60, sometimes stuck on 100. Even when i open google chrome only, let alone playing games. Help submitted by /u/Catanddogg [link] [comments]...
  5. Task manager reporting surreal CPU frequencies

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Task manager reporting surreal CPU frequencies: I've recently purchased a computer with an i7 2700k (Sandy Bridge-DT) on a Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2PV rev 2.2 motherboard. I installed Windows 10 via the Media Creation Tool (version 1903), and from day 1 I'm getting problems with Task manager's CPU frequency readings. Other tools...
  6. Task Manager reporting extreme fluctuating CPU Frequencies

Task Manager reporting extreme fluctuating CPU Frequencies: TL;DR CPU being displayed between 4.4 and 6.8 GHz Task Manager is showing my CPU frequency as 3.20 in the headline under the Performance tab: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz Which is the default speed of the CPU. So far so good. But the realtime display...
  7. Overclock cpu max frequency constantly changing in task manager

Overclock cpu max frequency constantly changing in task manager: Hi, I'm overclocking my Intel 8700k to 5Ghz and every time I check the current frequency in task manager the max is constantly changing. I have high-performance power settings on windows enabled and I have also disabled CPU state and Intel SpeedStep in the BIOS. I also...
  8. Bug Report Task Manager

Bug Report Task Manager: This bug was introduced in Windows 1809 (Redstone 5 Oct 2018 Update). The Task Manager reports total CPU use correctly, as is confirmed by the Resource Monitor. The Resource Monitor reports CPU usage by individual apps correctly but the Task Manager does not. Instead the Task...
  9. Too high frequency of CPU

Too high frequency of CPU: My CPU started working at 95% to 105% all the time. Could you help me how to get it back to the standby mode? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/too-high-frequency-of-cpu/642d599d-5ddd-4914-b49d-2d349172e739
  10. Windows 10 task manager reports crazy high cpu speed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 task manager reports crazy high cpu speed: Anyone eperienced this before? My cpu is a 3.8ghz oc'd to 4.5. task manager does report max speed being 4.5ghz. But live report is reporting as high as 5.9ghz. [img] Is this just a bug ? 52224