Windows 10: Task manager reporting surreal CPU frequencies

Discus and support Task manager reporting surreal CPU frequencies in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I've recently purchased a computer with an i7 2700k (Sandy Bridge-DT) on a Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2PV rev 2.2 motherboard. I installed Windows 10 via the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Deathstreams, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Task manager reporting surreal CPU frequencies

I've recently purchased a computer with an i7 2700k (Sandy Bridge-DT) on a Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2PV rev 2.2 motherboard. I installed Windows 10 via the Media Creation Tool (version 1903), and from day 1 I'm getting problems with Task manager's CPU frequency readings. Other tools read proper values, it's just task manager.

Tried so far:

- reinstall

- "repair this computer" from the USB key

:)

Deathstreams, Aug 28, 2019
  2. SackHappy Win User

Overclock cpu max frequency constantly changing in task manager

Hi,

I'm overclocking my Intel 8700k to 5Ghz and every time I check the current frequency in task manager the max is constantly changing. I have high-performance power settings on windows enabled and I have also disabled CPU state and Intel SpeedStep in the BIOS.
    I also noticed that when using other tools to display my GPU and CPU performance they show my CPU max frequency is exactly 5Ghz, why does Task Manager constantly display a constantly changing frequency?

Any suggestions?

Much appreciated

SackHappy, Aug 28, 2019
  3. esbndk Win User
    Task Manager reporting extreme fluctuating CPU Frequencies

TL;DR CPU being displayed between 4.4 and 6.8 GHz

Task Manager is showing my CPU frequency as 3.20 in the headline under the Performance tab:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz

Which is the default speed of the CPU. So far so good.

But the realtime display varies between 4.40 GHz to 6.83 GHz.

HWinfo says it is 4.6 GHz which is what I have it OC'ed at.

My processor would fry if were at 6.8 GHz

PC works fine but would be nice if Task Manager also worked correctly

TL;DR CPU being displayed between 4.4 and 6.8 GHz

esbndk, Aug 28, 2019
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Task manager reporting surreal CPU frequencies

Overclock cpu max frequency constantly changing in task manager

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I appreciate the time and efforts to work on the issue.

As per the description, I understand that Task manager displays constant change in CPU frequency. As you have already disabled Intel Speed Step, I suggest you to get in touch with the motherboard manufacturer.

You can also post your query in the
    TechNet forum.

Hope it helps.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Aug 28, 2019
Thema:

Task manager reporting surreal CPU frequencies

1. Task manager reporting surreal CPU frequencies - Similar Threads - Task manager reporting

2. Windows 11 - Task manager report CPU 100% all the time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - Task manager report CPU 100% all the time: Edition Windows 11 Pro Version 22H2 Installed on ‎11/‎5/‎2022 OS build 22621.1194 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22638.1000.0 Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor 3.60 GHz Installed RAM 32.0 GB System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor...
  3. Windows 11 - Task manager report CPU 100% all the time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 - Task manager report CPU 100% all the time: Edition Windows 11 Pro Version 22H2 Installed on ‎11/‎5/‎2022 OS build 22621.1194 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22638.1000.0 Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor 3.60 GHz Installed RAM 32.0 GB System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor...
  4. Task Manager reporting 100% CPU Usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Task Manager reporting 100% CPU Usage: So very recently my task manager has started reporting that my CPU has 100% usage all the time even when idle, Then it will drop to around 25% but shoot back up again way above what it actually is. However I know that this is not the case. This is because I have 3 other...
  5. task manager dont show the correct cpu load and the right frequencies.

task manager dont show the correct cpu load and the right frequencies.: task manager says cpu load is 99% but, third party programs say it is 9%; same thing for the frequencies the task manager shows 3.78GHz but instead the frequencies are 4.20GHz [MOVED from It-It to En-Us]...
  6. Task Manager reporting extreme fluctuating CPU Frequencies

Task Manager reporting extreme fluctuating CPU Frequencies: TL;DR CPU being displayed between 4.4 and 6.8 GHz Task Manager is showing my CPU frequency as 3.20 in the headline under the Performance tab: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz Which is the default speed of the CPU. So far so good. But the realtime display...
  7. Overclock cpu max frequency constantly changing in task manager

Overclock cpu max frequency constantly changing in task manager: Hi, I'm overclocking my Intel 8700k to 5Ghz and every time I check the current frequency in task manager the max is constantly changing. I have high-performance power settings on windows enabled and I have also disabled CPU state and Intel SpeedStep in the BIOS. I also...
  8. Bug Report Task Manager

Bug Report Task Manager: This bug was introduced in Windows 1809 (Redstone 5 Oct 2018 Update). The Task Manager reports total CPU use correctly, as is confirmed by the Resource Monitor. The Resource Monitor reports CPU usage by individual apps correctly but the Task Manager does not. Instead the Task...
  9. Task Manager reporting high processor frequency

Task Manager reporting high processor frequency: After upgrading to version 1809, I've noticed that the Task Manager shows the processor is constantly at turbo boost and running at its highest frequency although Edge is the only app running on this PC at the moment. Performance tab: [ATTACH] Processes tab: [ATTACH]...
  10. Windows 10 task manager reports crazy high cpu speed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 task manager reports crazy high cpu speed: Anyone eperienced this before? My cpu is a 3.8ghz oc'd to 4.5. task manager does report max speed being 4.5ghz. But live report is reporting as high as 5.9ghz. [img] Is this just a bug ? 52224