Windows 10: Task Manager showing higher CPU than sum of all processes- malware?

Discus and support Task Manager showing higher CPU than sum of all processes- malware? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My computer’s task manager has always shown a higher cpu than the sum of all the processes being used. It’s been like this for a long time and I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by ryukamii, May 31, 2019.

1. ryukamii Win User

Task Manager showing higher CPU than sum of all processes- malware?

My computer’s task manager has always shown a higher cpu than the sum of all the processes being used. It’s been like this for a long time and I thought it was normal, but after norton blocked a coinminer from a website that used adobe flash I began to think that I have hidden malware installed on my computer. After norton detected the attack I did a full system scan using Malwarebytes Free and nothing came up, which is really making me worried because I have no way to check if I have malware installed or not. Are there any other methods of checking to see if I have something malicious? I’m scared to restart my computer because I know malware can screw things up upon restarts.

:)

ryukamii, May 31, 2019

2. Task manager total cpu incorrectly shows a high value

I've just upgraded to the newly released Windows 10 Home 1809 and notice in task manager that the total at the top of the CPU column is always
    much higher than the actual sum of the detail.

For example, at the moment total CPU is over 60% but there is just one task with usage (slightly) over 2% and all the rest below 1%.

Any ideas?

davecope22, May 31, 2019
  3. Task Manager shows CPU speed that is higher than its maximum

Here's the
    link
    to Vidyaranjan A V answer, to know more about overclocking.

Thank you.

Regile Reb, May 31, 2019
  4. Andrew M Win User

CPU Constantly at 100% In Task Manager, But Not in Process Explorer

Starting yesterday, I have a very odd problem on my Windows 10 desktop-- my CPU is constantly running at 100% (according to Task Manager), and it isn't throttling down. Because of this, it's constantly running at 3.3 GHz and the temperatures are rising to the point where the fans kick in at full force. If I go into the Windows power settings screen and manually change the processor power maximum to 50%, then it's capped at 50% frequency (~1.5 GHz), but it never goes below the maximum possible frequency.

The weird thing is, when I look at the process list, there isn't really anything obvious that's triggering it. None of the processes are abnormal, and though the process CPU percentages do add up to 100%, it doesn't make sense to me that each individual process is taking up as much CPU as Task Manager says it is. Everything seems to be "using" a significantly higher amount of CPU resources than it normally does.

As an attempt to diagnose the problem, I've also tried using Process Explorer. The really weird thing is that Process Explorer shows only 1-2% usage when idle, with the System Idle Process taking up the remaining ~98% as I would expect. Again, nothing looks out of the ordinary in the process list, but the processes are showing the levels of activity I would expect in Process Explorer.

I've already run both Windows Defender and Malware Bytes (a virus was my first guess), but nothing has turned up yet.

This same issue also occurs in Safe Mode, so I'm guessing that it's more along the lines of something to do with Windows itself...

So, to recap:

• Windows 10 Desktop
    • Intel 970, 3.3 GHz, 6 cores
    • Task manager and resource monitor graphs shows 100% usage total
    • No individual process is taking up significant resources in the resource monitor list
    • CPU is not throttling down automatically based on the dynamic load, causing high temperatures and the fan to kick in
    • Process Explorer is only showing 1-2% CPU usage

Before I go uninstalling everything, how would I figure out what's causing the issue if nothing weird is showing up in Task Manager or Process Explorer?

Andrew M, May 31, 2019
Thema:

1. Task Manager showing higher CPU than sum of all processes- malware? - Similar Threads - Task Manager showing

2. Task Manager "Processes" Page not showing anything other than CPU and Memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Manager "Processes" Page not showing anything other than CPU and Memory: Just did a fresh install of windows 11 and noticed my task manager isn't showing all the info in the processes page, all I can see is the CPU and Memory sections, but in the processes tab everything is there, this is especially annoying as svchost is continuously downloading...
  3. Task Manager "Processes" Page not showing anything other than CPU and Memory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task Manager "Processes" Page not showing anything other than CPU and Memory: Just did a fresh install of windows 11 and noticed my task manager isn't showing all the info in the processes page, all I can see is the CPU and Memory sections, but in the processes tab everything is there, this is especially annoying as svchost is continuously downloading...
  4. Task Manager doesn't show processes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Manager doesn't show processes: Hello, I have the same problem described in this other Microsoft issue, with the only difference I am on windows 11. Task manager doesn't show processes but the other tabs and graphs work correctly. The thing is, for me process explorer and process hacker task manager...
  5. Task Manager doesn't show processes

Task Manager doesn't show processes: Hello, I have the same problem described in this other Microsoft issue, with the only difference I am on windows 11. Task manager doesn't show processes but the other tabs and graphs work correctly. The thing is, for me process explorer and process hacker task manager...
  6. Task Manager - Performance memory usage higher than Processes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Manager - Performance memory usage higher than Processes: So I've just installed Windows 11 on my new laptop, and have been installing all the drivers and programs I need. When going to the task manager, I noticed that my memory usage in the Performance tab of Task Manager is aroud 6 gb, but in the Processes tab, it only adds up to...
  7. Task Manager - Performance memory usage higher than Processes

Task Manager - Performance memory usage higher than Processes: So I've just installed Windows 11 on my new laptop, and have been installing all the drivers and programs I need. When going to the task manager, I noticed that my memory usage in the Performance tab of Task Manager is aroud 6 gb, but in the Processes tab, it only adds up to...
  8. Memory and CPU are higher than the combined total of active processes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Memory and CPU are higher than the combined total of active processes: My computer is a fairly decent one, built for gaming and higher speed quality. I have been having performance issues that seem to get worse with time, and I'm not entirely sure why. For example, running games that my computer should be able to handle and used to be able to...
  9. Memory and CPU are higher than the combined total of active processes

Memory and CPU are higher than the combined total of active processes: My computer is a fairly decent one, built for gaming and higher speed quality. I have been having performance issues that seem to get worse with time, and I'm not entirely sure why. For example, running games that my computer should be able to handle and used to be able to...
  10. Memory and CPU are higher than the combined total of active processes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging