Windows 10: Task Manager shows 4.5x ghz but CPU is only 4 ghz - overheating now.

Discus and support Task Manager shows 4.5x ghz but CPU is only 4 ghz - overheating now. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, Today my CPU started overheating. All the fans are working and it is dust free. It is a 4790K/32RAM/1660Ti. the task manager shows 4.5+ ghz but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Ahallich, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Ahallich Win User

Task Manager shows 4.5x ghz but CPU is only 4 ghz - overheating now.

Hi,

Today my CPU started overheating. All the fans are working and it is dust free. It is a 4790K/32RAM/1660Ti. the task manager shows 4.5+ ghz but it is only a 4.0. I never overclocked it. At rest the computer is 105 degree, and it now is at 115 while just doing a backup. it makes an alarm sound around 180 degrees, which it has done several times today, while basically doing nothing. i have the power set at balanced mode. My quick research says it should be 70-80 degrees at rest. The power seems to be all over the map 110-180 while basically doing the same thing???

Is there anything else i can do in windows, or do you think i have a hardware problem?

Thank you...Adrian

:)

Ahallich, Jan 18, 2021
  2. Onoes Win User

Windows 10 and Intel Pentium 4 550 @ 3.40 GHz?

I'm receiving the message "The CPU isn't supported" in the "Get Windows 10" app, against this older CPU (Pentium 4 550 running at 3.40 GHz).

3.40 GHz is greater than the 1 GHz listed in the system requirements.

Does Windows 10 have a thing against Hyper-Threading, or require Virtualization tech from Intel CPUs? Are Pentium 4s not supported at all?

Has anyone gone ahead and run the upgrade anyway on this type of CPU?

Onoes, Jan 18, 2021
  3. spetrov Win User
    CPU frequency locks at 0.78 GHz

Hello,

My CPU get locks at 0.78 GHz and not going up or down. In the same time when CPU is locked at 0.78 GHz,

laptops fans runs fast (noisy) but the coming air is not even hot.

I have found a tool named Intel(R) Extreme tuning utility to use it as monitor of "what's going on with my system",

i'm not overclocking or changing something in CPU.

Tuning utility shows value of "Thermal Throttling" as 100% i think this is the reason why CPU stays at 0.78 GHz, it get down step because of this thermal throttling.

CPU package and core temperature is normal around 40c .

All this information is visible into this picture:

Task Manager shows 4.5x ghz but CPU is only 4 ghz - overheating now. 0e05a760-5e71-41dd-a028-42165b6d17f2.png

With random combination of reboots, shutdown unplug power and plug power CPU gets frequency stepping again

Thermal Throttling is becoming zero and fans stop... and everything goes normal.

Can someone explain what is connection between Windows (10) OS and CPU freq. stepping.

I think there is some connection because of available options in power plan settings, there is options Processor power management

that can control CPU min and max freq. state, but i'm not pretty sure is it related to "Thermal Throttling".

spetrov, Jan 18, 2021
  4. esbndk Win User

Task Manager reporting extreme fluctuating CPU Frequencies

TL;DR CPU being displayed between 4.4 and 6.8 GHz

Task Manager is showing my CPU frequency as 3.20 in the headline under the Performance tab:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz

Which is the default speed of the CPU. So far so good.

But the realtime display varies between 4.40 GHz to 6.83 GHz.

HWinfo says it is 4.6 GHz which is what I have it OC'ed at.

My processor would fry if were at 6.8 GHz

PC works fine but would be nice if Task Manager also worked correctly

TL;DR CPU being displayed between 4.4 and 6.8 GHz

esbndk, Jan 18, 2021
Thema:

1. Task Manager shows 4.5x ghz but CPU is only 4 ghz - overheating now. - Similar Threads - Task Manager shows

2. Cpu Ghz stuck at 1.08 ghz 1.19ghz base speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cpu Ghz stuck at 1.08 ghz 1.19ghz base speed: Specifications of laptop: HP Pavilion 14-ce3007ne not the gaming laptopCPU: i51035G1 Base Speed: 1.19ghz Max speed: 3.6ghzGPU: Geforce MX130RAM: 8GB DDR4 2667MHzProblem: In november 2022 I used to play gta online and minecraft alot and there was no issue with fps or anything...
  3. Cpu Ghz stuck at 1.08 ghz 1.19ghz base speed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cpu Ghz stuck at 1.08 ghz 1.19ghz base speed: Specifications of laptop: HP Pavilion 14-ce3007ne not the gaming laptopCPU: i51035G1 Base Speed: 1.19ghz Max speed: 3.6ghzGPU: Geforce MX130RAM: 8GB DDR4 2667MHzProblem: In november 2022 I used to play gta online and minecraft alot and there was no issue with fps or anything...
  4. Computer cpu ghz

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer cpu ghz: Hello!! I found out that my cpu for my AMD A4-5000 APU runs at 1.50 ghz. it’s a windows 10 and kind of slow on most games. Is the speed of the cpu bad for gaming? Can I make it increase the cpu by any way? I’m not sure if it matters if it’s built but it was prebuilt. It also...
  5. Computer cpu ghz

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer cpu ghz: Hello!! I found out that my cpu for my AMD A4-5000 APU runs at 1.50 ghz. it’s a windows 10 and kind of slow on most games. Is the speed of the cpu bad for gaming? Can I make it increase the cpu by any way? I’m not sure if it matters if it’s built but it was prebuilt. It also...
  6. Computer cpu ghz

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Answer This Question, 2 Cores + 2 Ghz Processor = 4 Ghz or 2 Ghz Each Core 1Ghz + 1 Ghz = 2...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Answer This Question, 2 Cores + 2 Ghz Processor = 4 Ghz or 2 Ghz Each Core 1Ghz + 1 Ghz = 2...: Correct or not?! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/answer-this-question-2-cores-2-ghz-processor-4-ghz/eb1a1d2d-90d7-49da-87bc-5f561398c240
  8. Answer This Question, 2 Cores + 2 Ghz Processor = 4 Ghz or 2 Ghz Each Core 1Ghz + 1 Ghz = 2...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Answer This Question, 2 Cores + 2 Ghz Processor = 4 Ghz or 2 Ghz Each Core 1Ghz + 1 Ghz = 2...: Correct or not?! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/answer-this-question-2-cores-2-ghz-processor-4-ghz/eb1a1d2d-90d7-49da-87bc-5f561398c240
  9. Increasing CPU Ghz

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Increasing CPU Ghz: How To increase thisI certainly want to do thatplease help me increase that I am ready to keep hands in the registry tooPlease help me increase this 2.69Ghz to atleast 3.10Ghz or 4GhzCan anybody help me hereTHANK YOU IN ADVACEAny type of help will be highly appriciated...
  10. Help!!!! CPU operating at only 0.51 GHz

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Help!!!! CPU operating at only 0.51 GHz: Can someone please help? Experiencing sluggish performance and could barely browse the web. The CPU is operating between only 0.51 and 0.53 GHz. Normal operation for me is usually 1.17GHz - 1.30 GHz. This behavior is happening with or without the machine plugged in....