Windows 10: Task manager works fine from desktop but when I use it in a game, it freezes my computer

Discus and support Task manager works fine from desktop but when I use it in a game, it freezes my computer in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Just got a brand new (Win 10) computer, and when playing an online game (DDO), I tried to use task manager to get back to the desktop without closing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by RonHoffman3, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Task manager works fine from desktop but when I use it in a game, it freezes my computer

Just got a brand new (Win 10) computer, and when playing an online game (DDO), I tried to use task manager to get back to the desktop without closing out the game (ctrl-alt-delete then pressing cancel to go to desktop or "task manager" to get to task manager). No matter which option I take on the task manager dialog box, it takes me back to the game , which is then frozen. Only thing i can do then is press ctrl alt delete again and then restart the comp. I had no such issue with the same game with my old (Win 7) computer. Any ideas on how to fix this? According to windows update and the manufacturers website, I have all the latest drivers installed and the system showed now hardware problems.

:)

RonHoffman3, Nov 4, 2019

2. Task manager freezes my computer Windows 10 1708

I am having the same problem, however, it's only on 1 login. I have 2 logins. 1 for business use, and the other for personal use. The business task manager works just fine. The personal freezes.

patrickoellerich, Nov 4, 2019
  3. Game Bar freezes Computer

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft community and thank you for posting your query.

I understand your concern. Let me help you to fix the issue.

To understand the issue better please provide us more information.

• What is the model number of the computer?

• Which game are you trying to play?
    • Try playing other games and check what the status is.
    Let’s try simple troubleshooting steps and check if this helps in resolving the issue. Follow the below methods.

Method 1

I recommend you to uninstall/reinstall the display driver and check. Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Device manager

• Locate for display adapter and click on it to expand.

• Right click on the device and click on
      uninstall

• Once you are done uninstalling the driver, restart the computer. It will automatically install the generic display driver.
    If this doesn’t help to fix the issue. I suggest you to update the display driver. Skip step3 from the above steps and right click on the
    device and click on update.

Method 2.

If the above method did not help to fix the issue, I would suggest you to
    go to the computer manufacturer website and download the latest display adapter driver. Visit the below link:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us...for-5th-generation-intel-core-processors.html

Method 3.

For the sound issue try the below steps.

Step 1.

I suggest you to uninstall/reinstall the sound adapter driver and check.

• Press Windows key + X and select
      Device manager

• Now click on Sound, video and game controllers
      to expand, right click on the device and click on uninstall.

• Once you are done installing the driver, restart the computer. It will automatically install the sound adapter driver.
    If the issue still persist, try the below steps.

Step 2.

I suggest you to update the audio driver and check.

• Press Windows key + X and select
      Device manager
    • Now click on Sound, video and game controllers and right click on it and
      update the software.
    Hope this helps. Keep posting us with the status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Nov 4, 2019
  4. bruce1943 Win User

Task manager works fine from desktop but when I use it in a game, it freezes my computer

Task Manager not working

Topguncp - I went into Admin Command prompt and followed your three steps which fixed the problem Task Manager now working. Thanks for your assistance. Cheers Task manager works fine from desktop but when I use it in a game, it freezes my computer :)

bruce1943, Nov 4, 2019
Thema:

Task manager works fine from desktop but when I use it in a game, it freezes my computer

1. Task manager works fine from desktop but when I use it in a game, it freezes my computer - Similar Threads - Task manager works

2. Keyboard works fine on other computer but not on my Desktop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard works fine on other computer but not on my Desktop: I have a Corsair Gaming K95 RGB Platinum keyboard running on Window 10.The keyboard has worked on my desktop for many years with no issues, however today when turning on my computer im finding certain keys are not working. I had spent a lot of time troubleshooting assuming it...
  3. Keyboard works fine on other computer but not on my Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard works fine on other computer but not on my Desktop: I have a Corsair Gaming K95 RGB Platinum keyboard running on Window 10.The keyboard has worked on my desktop for many years with no issues, however today when turning on my computer im finding certain keys are not working. I had spent a lot of time troubleshooting assuming it...
  4. Keyboard works fine on other computer but not on my Desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. My computer freezes when I turn games on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer freezes when I turn games on: So, when i turn on my computer and i turn on a game, it just freezes. To avoid it, I must wait 2 mins after turning on PC to turn on game. Please help...
  6. My computer freezes when I turn games on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My computer freezes when I turn games on: So, when i turn on my computer and i turn on a game, it just freezes. To avoid it, I must wait 2 mins after turning on PC to turn on game. Please help...
  7. My computer freezes when I turn games on

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Task Manager not working when the computer starts up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Task Manager not working when the computer starts up: My computer is having a strange behavior for about one month until now: when I turn it on, it starts to heat, and I'm not able to open nor the Task Manager, nor the Regedit so far I can still open CMD. I had the idea to use Win+G to open the gaming functions, and in the...
  9. Mouse is working fine when I open Device Manager, Task Manager etc, but when I close them...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mouse is working fine when I open Device Manager, Task Manager etc, but when I close them...: This has happened to me 3 times today, a restart has fixed it both times but it’s getting really annoying and I can’t just restart every single time. Does anyone have a fix? submitted by /u/NoktNoktNokt [link] [comments]...
  10. Task Manager hidden when game freezes

in Windows 10 Support
    Task Manager hidden when game freezes: I think this is just a messup on the programmers part of Windows 10. I say this because I used Windows 7 and 8 since well... they came out and ALWAYS when I brought up the Task manager it would override the program I was currently in and show its window on top. I was...