Windows 10: TASK\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator wakes computer

Discus and support TASK\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator wakes computer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This seems to be waking my computer every morning at 12:32AM. I would appreciate info on how to stop this. Here are the details: Log Name: System... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by orealius, Feb 1, 2020.

1. orealius Win User

TASK\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator wakes computer

This seems to be waking my computer every morning at 12:32AM. I would appreciate info on how to stop this.

Here are the details:

Log Name: System
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-Power-Troubleshooter
    Date: 1/31/2020 12:32:32 AM
    Event ID: 1
    Task Category: None
    Level: Information
    Keywords:
    User: LOCAL SERVICE
    Computer: DESKTOP-FP9OBPN
    Description:
    The system has returned from a low power state.

Sleep Time: ‎2020‎-‎01‎-‎31T08:08:35.111355600Z
    Wake Time: ‎2020‎-‎01‎-‎31T08:32:31.688176100Z

Wake Source: Timer - Windows will execute 'NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Universal Orchestrator Start' scheduled task that requested waking the computer.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Power-Troubleshooter" Guid="{cdc05e28-c449-49c6-b9d2-88cf761644df}" />
    <EventID>1</EventID>
    <Version>3</Version>
    <Level>4</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-01-31T08:32:32.996675800Z" />
    <EventRecordID>42986</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation ActivityID="{2eb6bba1-6a64-46f5-9e2c-df80e59b44df}" />
    <Execution ProcessID="3152" ThreadID="4860" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>DESKTOP-FP9OBPN</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-19" />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data Name="SleepTime">2020-01-31T08:08:35.111355600Z</Data>
    <Data Name="WakeTime">2020-01-31T08:32:31.688176100Z</Data>
    <Data Name="SleepDuration">1278</Data>
    <Data Name="WakeDuration">1188</Data>
    <Data Name="DriverInitDuration">809</Data>
    <Data Name="BiosInitDuration">489</Data>
    <Data Name="HiberWriteDuration">0</Data>
    <Data Name="HiberReadDuration">0</Data>
    <Data Name="HiberPagesWritten">0</Data>
    <Data Name="Attributes">1879073024</Data>
    <Data Name="TargetState">4</Data>
    <Data Name="EffectiveState">4</Data>
    <Data Name="WakeSourceType">6</Data>
    <Data Name="WakeSourceTextLength">147</Data>
    <Data Name="WakeSourceText">Windows will execute 'NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Universal Orchestrator Start' scheduled task that requested waking the computer.</Data>
    <Data Name="WakeTimerOwnerLength">52</Data>
    <Data Name="WakeTimerContextLength">18</Data>
    <Data Name="NoMultiStageResumeReason">0</Data>
    <Data Name="WakeTimerOwner">\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\svchost.exe</Data>
    <Data Name="WakeTimerContext">SystemEventsBroker</Data>
    <Data Name="CheckpointDuration">35</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

:)

orealius, Feb 1, 2020
  2. orealius Win User

This seems to be waking my computer every morning at 12:32AM. I would appreciate info on how to stop this.

Here are the details:

Log Name: System
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-Power-Troubleshooter
    Date: 1/31/2020 12:32:32 AM
    Event ID: 1
    Task Category: None
    Level: Information
    Keywords:
    User: LOCAL SERVICE
    Computer: DESKTOP-FP9OBPN
    Description:
    The system has returned from a low power state.

Sleep Time: ‎2020‎-‎01‎-‎31T08:08:35.111355600Z
    Wake Time: ‎2020‎-‎01‎-‎31T08:32:31.688176100Z

Wake Source: Timer - Windows will execute 'NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Universal Orchestrator Start' scheduled task that requested waking the computer.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Power-Troubleshooter" Guid="{cdc05e28-c449-49c6-b9d2-88cf761644df}" />
    <EventID>1</EventID>
    <Version>3</Version>
    <Level>4</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-01-31T08:32:32.996675800Z" />
    <EventRecordID>42986</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation ActivityID="{2eb6bba1-6a64-46f5-9e2c-df80e59b44df}" />
    <Execution ProcessID="3152" ThreadID="4860" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>DESKTOP-FP9OBPN</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-19" />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data Name="SleepTime">2020-01-31T08:08:35.111355600Z</Data>
    <Data Name="WakeTime">2020-01-31T08:32:31.688176100Z</Data>
    <Data Name="SleepDuration">1278</Data>
    <Data Name="WakeDuration">1188</Data>
    <Data Name="DriverInitDuration">809</Data>
    <Data Name="BiosInitDuration">489</Data>
    <Data Name="HiberWriteDuration">0</Data>
    <Data Name="HiberReadDuration">0</Data>
    <Data Name="HiberPagesWritten">0</Data>
    <Data Name="Attributes">1879073024</Data>
    <Data Name="TargetState">4</Data>
    <Data Name="EffectiveState">4</Data>
    <Data Name="WakeSourceType">6</Data>
    <Data Name="WakeSourceTextLength">147</Data>
    <Data Name="WakeSourceText">Windows will execute 'NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Universal Orchestrator Start' scheduled task that requested waking the computer.</Data>
    <Data Name="WakeTimerOwnerLength">52</Data>
    <Data Name="WakeTimerContextLength">18</Data>
    <Data Name="NoMultiStageResumeReason">0</Data>
    <Data Name="WakeTimerOwner">\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\svchost.exe</Data>
    <Data Name="WakeTimerContext">SystemEventsBroker</Data>
    <Data Name="CheckpointDuration">35</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

orealius, Feb 1, 2020
  3. what process creates the task "NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Universal Orchestrator Start"?

hello,

in my home i have a computer that i always put in hibernate mode instead of turning it off.

from time to time my computer wakes up automatically at around 23:00 for few minutes and turnd off again.

(ans sometimes it doesn't turn off - then the computer still runs in the morning, when i get up)

and every time the computer is doing that, i wake up as well, because the initial power-on fan-test is very very noisy.

i was looking powercfg what the cause was of the last wake and it was always

"NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Universal Orchestrator Start".

but when i take a look to "NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\" in the task schedule, there is no

"Universal Orchestrator Start" anymore, that i could muten/prevent from turning on the computer next time.

it seems the taks deletes itself as soon it was rebooting the computer.

what process is creating "NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Universal Orchestrator Start"?

for what is it good for?

is there a way to turn off creating that task?

i observed that issue more often in the last few days/week - was something changed in the last update (1909 / 2019-12)?

beta-tester, Feb 1, 2020
  4. TASK\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator wakes computer

Microsoft hijacking my computer with UpdateOrchestrator

This is completely unacceptable. Microsoft should compensate for wasted electricity. Not only the computer is running but the screens are forced to stay on too (which normally turn off after 30 minutes of inactivity). I have wasted 24+ hours on this nonsense.
    Some of the questions online about the SAME problem with the SAME solutions date back to 2015. I regret paying for this product.

Poweshell reveals the culprits:

Get-ScheduledTask | where {$_.settings.waketorun}

UpdateOrchestrator\ Backup Scan

and

UpdateOrchestrator\ Universal Orchestrator Start

fyi Command Prompt does not reveal any information through "powercfg /lastwake":

Wake History Count - 1

Wake History [0]

Wake Source Count - 0

Things done:

Power options all set to disable wake timers (persistent)

Network card disabled from waking up the computer (never was anyway). Other hardware not indicated either (never was).

Never used teamviewer. Never had mediacenter.

Only Powershell shows the offending tasks (Get-ScheduledTask | where {$_.settings.waketorun})

Need PSTools to launch Task Scheduler or I cannot do anything.

Have tried: deleting

disabling "wake computer to run this task"

disable altogether

Taken ownership of the task

All of these get reset latest next day.

Set up a task to disable them every hour: Run PowerShell.exe with the arguments -Command "C:\Windows\Manual Override\disable_wakejobs.ps1"

The content of "disable_wakejobs.ps1": Get-ScheduledTask | ? {$_.Settings.WakeToRun -eq $true -and $_.State -ne "Disabled"} | % {$_.Settings.WakeToRun = $false; Set-ScheduledTask $_}

Also ran in powershell admin: "Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned" first

This worked for like 2 days and never again. The task has System ownership and runs with highest privileges.

Changed Group Policy: Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / Windows Components / Windows Update

Enabling Windows Update Power Management to automatically wake up the system to install scheduled updates

to Disabled

Modified the Registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator

Deleting contents, but just gets reset in a day or two.

DO NOT waste my time with arrogant "are your drivers up to date" or safe or recovery mode or whatever you call it nowadays.

5 year old problem ruining computers and wasting energy. I've had malware less damaging than this operating system.

Danielhatesmicrosoft, Feb 1, 2020
Thema:

1. TASK\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator wakes computer - Similar Threads - TASKMicrosoftWindowsUpdateOrchestrator wakes computer

2. Computer Resetting on Wake

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer Resetting on Wake: My PC will sleep after non-use and will sometimes crash when I switch to it from my work PCThis is being managed through a combination KVM and DisplayFusionLog says:The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000003b 0x00000000c0000005,...
  3. Computer Resetting on Wake

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer Resetting on Wake: My PC will sleep after non-use and will sometimes crash when I switch to it from my work PCThis is being managed through a combination KVM and DisplayFusionLog says:The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000003b 0x00000000c0000005,...
  4. Computer Resetting on Wake

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer Resetting on Wake: My PC will sleep after non-use and will sometimes crash when I switch to it from my work PC This is being managed through a combination KVM and DisplayFusion Log says: The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000003b 0x00000000c0000005,...
  5. Computer Resetting on Wake

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer Resetting on Wake: My PC will sleep after non-use and will sometimes crash when I switch to it from my work PC This is being managed through a combination KVM and DisplayFusion Log says: The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000003b 0x00000000c0000005,...
  6. Computer waking up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer waking up: For the past 7 days when i got a pc 1 or 2 weeks ago, it keeps turning on bu it self every day at 5:55 AM. I tried everything i could to stop it and it failed, any tips? submitted by /u/Zylenlox69 [link] [comments]...
  7. Wake up computer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Wake up computer: Hi, Why can't I wake up my laptop by pressing any keys on my keyboard? Dennis https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wake-up-computer/22a8e0d7-cde5-4034-9373-ff84d379f09c
  8. waking up computer

in Cortana
    waking up computer: when i wake up computer i get running dots in cortana and browser search box continually , why is that ? or what can be done not to have that ? i usually do ctrl alt del and just choose cancel--then it stops...
  9. Computer wakes up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Computer wakes up: My computer keeps waking up on it's own after I put it to sleep. I am running Windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-wakes-up/f04dadcd-e205-4f5d-b9c8-a4aab97f4895"
  10. BSOD on computer wake.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD on computer wake.: I have been having this issue for a long while now(3 weeks -ish), and in attempts to fix it, I probably made it worse. I downloaded an "update all drivers" software and broke my computer very badly. In continuing attempts I simply reinstalled windows and the "worse" part is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. update orchestrator wakes computer

2. backup scan task

3. computer wakes up at night UpdateOrChestrator

4. windows will execute nt task\microsoft\windows\updateorchestrator\universal orchestrator start scheduled task that requested waking the computer.