Windows 10: Task Scheduler behaving badly. But, for only 1 of 4 users on the machine

Discus and support Task Scheduler behaving badly. But, for only 1 of 4 users on the machine in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; This is way weird and I'd really appreciate some advice on what I might do to fix the issue. I only use the Task Scheduler every few months if not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Nick, Dec 8, 2020.

1. Nick Win User

Task Scheduler behaving badly. But, for only 1 of 4 users on the machine

This is way weird and I'd really appreciate some advice on what I might do to fix the issue.

I only use the Task Scheduler every few months if not less often.

I have a number of tasks that I created quite a long time ago that run perfectly at the scheduled time.

Never have any issue.

This morning, I signed into my laptop with my Microsoft user ID an administrator like I do every morning.

I wanted to make a change to one of the scheduled tasks that been running for a year or more.

So, I started the Task Scheduler.

All looked good.

I selected the task that I wanted to change and I chose to export it to my desktop. I like to do that before making any changes to a task.

It "looked" like it was going to export just fine but then the Task Scheduler "froze".

And I needed to kill it via Task Manager.

I tried several other things like, deleting a task, adding a new task or modifying an existing tasks.

Each time, after going through what looked to me to be proper dialogs, Task Scheduler froze.

And I had it kill it with Task Manager.

It's important to note that the list of items that appear in the Task Scheduler is complete and they continue run without interruption.

I just can't seem to "do" anything via the Task Scheduler.

I tried ....

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

sfc/scannow

ChkDsk C: /f /r /x

No errors reported

I have two2 local Administrator accounts.

I signed on as each of them and Task Scheduler worked perfectly

I then created a new local account and made it an Administrator.

And when signed in with this new Admin account the Task Scheduler works perfectly.

So, it appears as if the issue may not be with the Task Scheduler program itself.

I wonder if my user ID a microsoft account no longer has write or delete permissions. I'm really reaching here.

My environment:

HP ENVY notebook

16 Gb memory
    1 Tb SSD

Win 10 Home edition Version 20H2 OS Build 19042.685

Thanks for all consideration of my issue

:)

Nick, Dec 8, 2020
  2. jgunning Win User

Task Scheduler Batch file

Hi all,

Looking for some help.Im creating a batch file to run for different users to add a scheduled task. HOWEVER - the whole thing works great and has done for some time.But after i run the batch file on each machine (different users) i have to go into the security options and change the user the task runs in to the unique user of that machine. Is there a way to use the batch file to pull the account name of the machine (or computer name) and use that as the user the task runs in?

Thanks =)

jgunning, Dec 8, 2020
  3. Scheduled tasks run with elevated privileges can't access stored Windows credentials

It seems that after Creators update scheduled tasks run with elevated privileges ('run with highest privileges' option) can't access stored Windows credentials. Is that a bug or an intentional change and is there a recommended workaround?

Here's one way to reproduce the behaviour:

• Start Credential Manger and add some Windows share credentials.
    • In a console window type 'cmdkey /list', which should list the added credentials
    • Create a task in a task manager:
      • Trigger: on user logon
      • Action: run cmd.exe
      • Tick the 'run with highest privileges' option
    • Reboot the machine and log in
    • In the console window (let's call it 'console 1') opened from the scheduled task type 'cmdkey /list'. This most likely won't display the credentials added in step 1 and properly listed in step 2. ->
      This looks like a bug
    • Now, without closing 'console 1' open another console window as an administrator (let's call it 'console 2') and type 'cmdkey /list'. This will properly list credentials added in step 1.
    • Switch to 'console 1' and type 'cmdkey /list' again. This time the credentials are listed properly, unlike in step 5. It looks like an access to Windows credentials was somehow 'unlocked' by step 6.

MarcinMrowiec, Dec 8, 2020
  4. Task Scheduler behaving badly. But, for only 1 of 4 users on the machine

Task Scheduler with error message The selected task »CreateChoiceProcessTask« no longer exists

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. Let me assist you.

I suggest you to clear the task from Task Scheduler using the below steps and check if the issue still persists.

Steps:-

• Type Task Scheduler on Search bar.
    • Click on Task Scheduler Library.
    • Select the particular task and right click on it.
    • Select End.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Pawan Dhondiyal, Dec 8, 2020
Thema:

Task Scheduler behaving badly. But, for only 1 of 4 users on the machine

1. Task Scheduler behaving badly. But, for only 1 of 4 users on the machine - Similar Threads - Task Scheduler behaving

2. Task Scheduler User Information

in Windows 10 Customization
    Task Scheduler User Information: I am trying to schedule a job to run from a software program that reads data from a server. The job works when I manually run it as I am prompted to add my account information before running the task each time. The issue is that I cannot get the job to run on a scheduled...
  3. Task Scheduler not behaving as expected

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Task Scheduler not behaving as expected: That is – not as I expect it to. Maybe it’s meant to work this way, but it seems mighty odd to me – I am almost tempted to report it as a bug, but...OK, so I created a task with the following settings:Run at 00:15 every day, and repeat every 15 minutes for a period of 1...
  4. Scheduled task for shutdown only working randomly

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Scheduled task for shutdown only working randomly: I've used a scheduled task to shut down shutdown.bat my computer at a specific time every night. I've never had a problem until recently. Now, every few nights the task just doesn't run and the next day my computer is still on. How can I solve this problem so it works every...
  5. Task Scheduler works only when Plugged-In

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task Scheduler works only when Plugged-In: I've set up two tasks on Windows Task Scheduler, one is triggered when the device is locked and the other is triggered when the device is unlocked. But this works only when I connect my Laptop to a charger, otherwise, it doesn't work at all. I have both the tasks running on...
  6. Badly behaving system process.

Badly behaving system process.: [ATTACH]Ok, so i don't know what happened, but I happened to stumble upon this process in task manager a few weeks ago. I don't exactly know what it is, but it is taking up a BUNCH of resources and increases in memory usage at a rate of around 0.2 mb per second. This pc is...
  7. Unable to schedule tasks in Task scheduler with option run the task whether the user is...

Unable to schedule tasks in Task scheduler with option run the task whether the user is...: I am able to schedule tasks with the first option that is - run when the user is logged on. But when I try with the other option - run whether the user is logged on or not, it doesn't work....
  8. Windows update removes scheduled task, with bad consequences.

Windows update removes scheduled task, with bad consequences.: I had a scheduled task that popped a monthly reminder up on my screen to pay my cell phone bill. A Windows automatic update removed my scheduled task, the cell phone bill was not paid, my cell phone account was cancelled, and I had to switch to another method of payment to...
  9. New users behaving badly

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    New users behaving badly: Last week I upgraded my mom's Windows 8.1 laptop to Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool. (this being a celeron 1,7ghz with only 4GB memory took forever.) Anyway when it was done, I tried adding a new user. First issue with the new user is that the Start menu wouldn't...
  10. How to schedule a task as Standard User?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to schedule a task as Standard User?: I like to run Windows 10 as a Standard User. I use Syncthing to sync my files from my PC to my laptop and another machine. I want to schedule syncthing so that it starts when I log on. However when creating a task, I get a message saying the user doesn't have permission. How...