Windows 10: Task Scheduler fails to schedule Restore Point Creation

Discus and support Task Scheduler fails to schedule Restore Point Creation in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have set up the following in Task Scheduler:- [img] However it does not work! Any ideas anyone? PS: How can I enable history? 31873 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Hairy Scot, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Task Scheduler fails to schedule Restore Point Creation

I have set up the following in Task Scheduler:-

Task Scheduler fails to schedule Restore Point Creation [​IMG]

However it does not work!

Any ideas anyone?

PS: How can I enable history?

:)

Hairy Scot, Nov 28, 2015

2. Setting a task trigger to create a daily System Restore point

This should help.

How To Create A Daily Restore Point Using Task Scheduler In Windows (All Versions)?

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/create-daily-restore-point-task-scheduler-script/

(the script referenced in the above page skips creating Restore points if a recent one exists, created in the last 24 hrs. To force creation of restore point anyway, edit the script and change the value for "i24hrsLimit" to 0. the above article has full
    details.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Nov 28, 2015
  3. Linney Win User
    Setting a task trigger to create a daily System Restore point

Scheduling System Restore Point Creation

Scheduling System Restore Point Creation - Windows 10 Forums

You might be able to adapt this guide to work in Windows 10 but it is a little bit different.

Change How Often System Restore Creates Restore Points in Windows 7 or Vista

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...tore-creates-restore-points-in-windows-vista/

Restore Point Creator For Windows 10

Restore Point Creator For Windows 10

If you know how it is done manually then something like these may come in handy.

AutoIt-- Freeware:

AutoIt Scripting Language - AutoIt

AutoHotkey

AutoHotkey

How to start and create basic tasks with Task Scheduler

How to start and create basic tasks with Task Scheduler | Digital Citizen

Linney, Nov 28, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Task Scheduler fails to schedule Restore Point Creation

Hi, presumably you have ensured that system restore is enabled (it's disabled by default in Win 10). Forgive the obvious question..*Smile

From Shawn's tutorial on this in eightforums I noted:

• System Restore in Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 creates a scheduled restore point only if no other restore points have been created in the last 7 days.

Maybe that applies in '10.

I remember there's a task that looks as if it should do this, and I went through exactly what you've done, then found it doesn't. whether this is it, I can't recall.

The definitive solution which I've used for a long time is to install a small utility by Shawn and set up my own task.
    System Restore Point Shortcut - Windows 7 Help Forums

I've noted that MS seems to now not create restore points before updates.. and seen that comment elsewhere..

dalchina, Nov 28, 2015
  5. Thanks Dalchina.

I've tried Shawn's utility. It doesn't seem to work on Windows 10.

Hairy Scot, Nov 28, 2015
  6. dalchina New Member
    Strange- it works for me.. can you confirm you have system restore enabled?

dalchina, Nov 28, 2015
  7. Yes it is enabled.
    I have just checked the content of one of the script files and it looks like it does not contain support for Windows 10:-
    If instr(objOS.Caption, "Windows 8") Then
    GetOS = "Windows 8"
    elseIf instr(objOS.Caption, "Windows 7") Then
    GetOS = "Windows 7"
    elseIf instr(objOS.Caption, "Vista") Then
    GetOS = "Windows Vista"
    elseIf instr(objOS.Caption, "Windows XP") Then
    GetOS = "Windows XP"
    End If

Did you modify the files from the Windows 7 forum, or is there a newer version?

Hairy Scot, Nov 28, 2015
  8. Task Scheduler fails to schedule Restore Point Creation

PS:

I've found the Windows 10 version. *Smile

Hairy Scot, Nov 28, 2015
  9. M4v3r1ck Win User
    Care to share link? THNX!!!

Cheers

M4v3r1ck, Nov 28, 2015
  10. dalchina New Member
    Excellent.. I was struggling to find it again...

dalchina, Nov 28, 2015
  11. M4v3r1ck Win User
    M4v3r1ck, Nov 28, 2015
  12. Task Scheduler fails to schedule Restore Point Creation

mattfromoz, Nov 29, 2015
  13. I tried this in task scheduler:-

Task Scheduler fails to schedule Restore Point Creation [​IMG]

works if I select RUN in the Task Scheduler window.
    Will give it some time to ensure that the triggers work and then I'll report back.

Hairy Scot, Nov 29, 2015
  14. Works with time triggers but not with startup trigger.

Hairy Scot, Nov 29, 2015
Thema:

Task Scheduler fails to schedule Restore Point Creation

1. Task Scheduler fails to schedule Restore Point Creation - Similar Threads - Task Scheduler fails

2. System Restore Points Schedule

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Restore Points Schedule: Hi!I recently posted a question regarding a BSOD that surprisngly I can't get out of...What I found amusing after failing to restore the computer since I don't have restore points, I had a burst of questions and doubts regarding system Restore Points:What is the default...
  3. Don't see Restore Points created by Scheduled Task

Don't see Restore Points created by Scheduled Task: Restore Points that I manuallyinitiate show up okay in the list under System Restore. Restore Points initiated through System Restore by Task Scheduler do notshow up, although the Task Scheduler indicates that the task completed successfully. Task Scheduler history is...
  4. Scheduled Restore Points Not Appearing

Scheduled Restore Points Not Appearing: I found this thread https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/scheduled-restore-points-not-appearing/c30c9f73-e074-43bf-b3ae-01995719ec49 but it´s locked. I have the same issue, but instead of following the tips, I'd like to tell you that I followed, I guess...
  5. Creating a scheduled task for restore points

Creating a scheduled task for restore points: I've read and watched videos on how to create a monthly or three monthly Restore Point but cannot get past the following "you must enter a task name and at least one action" ... the videos that I've watched do not mention this. Can anyone point out to me how to do this?...
  6. Task Scheduler Restore Point deleted

Task Scheduler Restore Point deleted: BACKGROUND: I am attempting to create a Restore Point on 4 different computers in my office. I am successfully able to manually create a restore point using powershell.exe. Action: -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Command "Checkpoint-Computer -Description \"BDRE-CHRIS Restore...
  7. Scheduled Restore Points Not Appearing

Scheduled Restore Points Not Appearing: Hi. I'm using Task Scheduler to create daily restore points on Windows 10. The scheduler reports that the tasks runs and returns a 0x0 code. But the restore point it presumably created does not show up in the list of available restore points. Any thoughts about why this...
  8. Creating restore points on a schedule?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Creating restore points on a schedule?: Is there a way to get Win 10 to create system restore points on a schedule (e.g. once a day)? 117236
  9. Scheduling a Daily Restore Point

Scheduling a Daily Restore Point: Shawn Brink posted this excellent tutorial a while back: Automatically Create System Restore Point on Schedule in Windows 10 But with the recent Win 10 Spring update it no longer seems to work. If there is a way to fix this that would be great! 109368
  10. Scheduling System Restore Point Creation

Scheduling System Restore Point Creation: Hi Forum, I see that Win10 has deleted the function to schedule the creation of restore points! Supposedly it creates a new restore point before downloading updates (if the function is turned on; by default it is off!). I like to schedule the creation of points every few...