Windows 10: Task Scheduler - how to run program on different drive?

Discus and support Task Scheduler - how to run program on different drive? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, I'm trying to set up a task using Task Scheduler to run a game which is on one of my secondary drives, drive F: - I have Windows 10 installed on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Lylio, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Lylio Win User

Task Scheduler - how to run program on different drive?

Hi,
    I'm trying to set up a task using Task Scheduler to run a game which is on one of my secondary drives, drive F: - I have Windows 10 installed on the C: drive.
    The problem I'm having is Task Scheduler doesn't seem able to start a program if it's on any drive except C: - I can create a task to run any program or open any file if it's on the C: drive, but nothing runs if it tries to access the F: drive.
    As an experiment, I created a simple task to open a jpeg picture - it opened no problem on the C drive, but on the F drive I was prompted to pick an application to open it with (I chose Windows picture viewer) after which the jpeg wouldn't open/load.
    Any ideas what I can do to create a task which will run on my F drive?
    Many thanks, I appreciate any help you can offer.

:)

Lylio, Oct 6, 2015

2. Task Scheduler - how to run program on different drive?

Lylio

When creating the task did you use the "start in" argument?

Task Scheduler - how to run program on different drive? [​IMG]

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Oct 6, 2015
  3. Lylio Win User

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a task using Task Scheduler to run a game which is on one of my secondary drives, drive F: - I have Windows 10 installed on the C: drive.

The problem I'm having is Task Scheduler doesn't seem able to start a program if it's on any drive except C: - I can create a task to run any program or open any file if it's on the C: drive, but nothing runs if it tries to access the F: drive.

As an experiment, I created a simple task to open a jpeg picture - it opened no problem on the C drive, but on the F drive I was prompted to pick an application to open it with (I chose Windows picture viewer) after which the jpeg wouldn't open/load.

Any ideas what I can do to create a task which will run on my F drive?

Many thanks, I appreciate any help you can offer.

Lylio, Oct 6, 2015
  4. Superfly Win User

You need to supply an executable - if it relies on a dll, supply rundll as the exe.

eg: RunDLL32.exe C:\Windows\System32\Shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen F:\Capture.png

Superfly, Oct 6, 2015
  5. Lylio Win User
    Thanks for the reply Superfly, but I'm a little unsure of your instruction.

The actual game file location is: "F:\Games\Dark Souls\DARKSOULS.exe". In Task Scheduler I have the action as "start a program" and in Program/Script I have that file location. Do I need to add anything to 'add arguments' or 'start in'?

Thanks.

Lylio, Oct 6, 2015
  6. Superfly Win User
    Try using "explorer.exe" as Program/Script and "F:\Games\Dark Souls\DARKSOULS.exe" as the augument.

If you are still unable to launch it, check for any switches in Task Manager (Processes tab - Rt click Menu bar - select commandline) after launching it manually.

Superfly, Oct 6, 2015
  7. Lylio Win User
    That was it! Many thanks Superfly!

Lylio, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Task Scheduler - how to run program on different drive? - Similar Threads - Task Scheduler run

2. Run Task Scheduler

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Run Task Scheduler: I am trying to run a Powershell script in Windows 10 21H2 version using Task bar and the PS window pops up. Later found out that this is happening because the task is run as "Run only when user is logged on".I tried to set this to "Run whether user is logged on or not" and...
  3. Run Task Scheduler

in Windows 10 Customization
    Run Task Scheduler: I am trying to run a Powershell script in Windows 10 21H2 version using Task bar and the PS window pops up. Later found out that this is happening because the task is run as "Run only when user is logged on".I tried to set this to "Run whether user is logged on or not" and...
  4. Task Scheduler running a program minimized.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Scheduler running a program minimized.: I have seen a lot of people asking the question about running a program minimized in Task Scheduler.Nobody seemed to have had an answer.This worked for me.......
  5. Task Scheduler running a program minimized.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task Scheduler running a program minimized.: I have seen a lot of people asking the question about running a program minimized in Task Scheduler.Nobody seemed to have had an answer.This worked for me.......
  6. How to Program Task Scheduler to Run 3 Programs One After the Other?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to Program Task Scheduler to Run 3 Programs One After the Other?: Hi guys.. I'm trying to program Task Scheduler to run 3 antivirus programs one after the other. How do I program it to do so? 181262
  7. Task Scheduler Not Running

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Task Scheduler Not Running: I've already tried and a lot of solutions for this but sadly I still don't have a solution. I've also tried these steps in this link (https://computerstepbystep.com/task_scheduler_service.html), still no luck What happened is I'm trying to update my GeForce Experience but I...
  8. How to run a program in task scheduler?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to run a program in task scheduler?: I have installed Speedfan and it won't run at the windows startup, so I tried to schedule it in task scheduler, I am not familiar with using it and wondered if there is a guide for W10 64 anywhere or if anyone can tell me how? Many thanks in advance! John. 13863
  9. Task Scheduler doesn't run program

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Task Scheduler doesn't run program: I'm running a task schedule to run a program at a certain time. It worked great in windows 7 but since I upgraded to 10 nothing happens when the task is run. I've run SFC and Dism see below and no problems found. C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow Beginning system scan....
  10. Task Scheduler not running programs...

in Windows 10 Support
    Task Scheduler not running programs...: Hello Guys, I have a Windows 10 Laptop. Tried using Task Scheduler to automatically run Good Sync program on a predefined schedule. However, it fails to run the program. My user account has administrative priviledges. Thanks for your replies. 37970