Windows 10: Task Scheduler Issue

Discus and support Task Scheduler Issue in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, I'm running windows 10 and I seem to be having a problem with my task scheduler. My disks are set to 'optimise' automatically, on a weekly basis,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by ouroboros72, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Task Scheduler Issue

Hi, I'm running windows 10 and I seem to be having a problem with my task scheduler. My disks are set to 'optimise' automatically, on a weekly basis, but I noticed it was going for weeks, even months without running. My system is only about 3 months old and I suspect it's been an issue from the beginning.

The first advice I got was to go into Services.msc and restart the task scheduler, but it's completely unresponsive. Along the top of services there are options - start service, stop service, pause service, restart service, but none of them do anything. It says service is running. When I highlight other services, one of those options along the top highlights in green, (which one depends on whether the particular service is already running or not, it's usually stop or restart). But not so with task scheduler. So there seems to be an issue with it.

So far I have tried the following;

Starting in Safe Mode.
    Clean boot (although I'm not entirely convinced that procedure is going properly)
    Running sfc /scannow command prompt.
    DISM - CheckHealth, ScanHealth, RestoreHealth

None of these seem to have helped. I can do manual optimise, but I'm concerned there might be other scheduled tasks that aren't running which I'm not aware of, so I'd like to get it sorted.

I'd be grateful for any other suggestions that might help fix this issue, please bear in mind I'm not very technical.

Thanks

:)

ouroboros72, Feb 16, 2016

2. Issue with Task Scheduler

The task name sounds like a malware. Try running a full scan using Malwarebytes, and Junkware Removal Tool (www.malwarebytes.org). These tools will remove malicious
    tasks added by malware.

And, if that doesn't remove the task, you can remove it manually using the steps listed in this article.

Task Scheduler Error Task "No longer exists". How to Fix?

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/task-scheduler-error-no-longer-exists-corrupt-task/

Ramesh Srinivasan, Feb 16, 2016
  3. highcarve Win User
    Issue with Task Scheduler

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Been out of town. So I got on and the same thing reoccurred.

I did as you said and here is a screenshot of the error.
    Task Scheduler Issue [​IMG]

So I then went into the running tasks, and I found the task that is constantly popping up, but I don't know how to stop it from popping up anymore
    Task Scheduler Issue [​IMG]

highcarve, Feb 16, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Task Scheduler Issue

Hello *Smile

Looking at your specs I see you have an SSD. These do not need defragmentation but do benefit from a trimming optimisation. You can always do this manually by typing optimise in the search box and opening the app to run the optimisation.

I am not sure what conditions trigger the scheduled task to run but it maybe that it decides your disk does not need an optimisation yet, this would be the case if current status was OK.

philc43, Feb 16, 2016
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hi, apart from disk defrag, do you have any other evidence that the task scheduler is not running?

If there is a problem, check these services are also running, automatic:
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    RPC Endpoint Mapper

To keep an eye on the task scheduler for a while you can create your own scheduled task to, say, open Wordpad every 4 hours.. or whatever suits you.

The right click options to start, stop, restart the t. scheduler service have been greyed out in Windows for a long time.

dalchina, Feb 16, 2016
  6. Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I have an SSD, I understand the difference between defrag and optimise and it seems to be a contentious issue whether or not defragging is good or bad for SSD's. In any case, I'm not looking to do that, it's just the optimise (trimming as you put it) I'm interested in for now. I can do it manually as you say, but I'd still prefer task scheduler was working properly because as I mentioned in the OP, I'm worried there might be other scheduled tasks not getting done that I'm not aware about.

Ok, that's very interesting about the 'conditions which trigger the task'. I just assumed if it was set to run weekly, it would do that, I didn't consider certain conditions might have to be met to trigger it. So it might actually be working fine then. Status does say OK. Currently for Windows C drive in status it says (OK - 17 days since last run).

One thing that slightly concerns me though is, there are 3 drives listed; Windows C drive, Recovery D drive, and something else called \\?\Volume(047….. I'm not even sure what that last one is, someone else said it might be my WinRe recovery partition and isn't important, or doesn't see a lot of traffic, idk. But that drive says, Never run, and in status - needs optimisation and it is checked in the automatic schedule? This again makes me wonder about the scheduler.

ouroboros72, Feb 17, 2016
  7. Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Again, just to make a distinction between defrag and optimise (trimming), but the answer is no, I have no other evidence apart from the weekly scheduled 'optimise' not running.

Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and RPC Endpoint Mapper both say running, automatic, (although again no green highlight, but perhaps that's normal from what you say).

That's good advice to check task scheduler by creating a new task to monitor. I'll need to work out how to do that and give it a try. That will be my next step.

That's very interesting too about the start stop options being greyed out for a long time. It's handy to know and makes me feel more optimistic it's actually working.

In fact, the parts I bolded in the last two posts are very useful information. You would have thought the Microsoft representative on the Microsoft forum would have mentioned those sort of points! ... that's why I come here.

ouroboros72, Feb 17, 2016
  8. philc43 Win User

Task Scheduler Issue

There is an old thread on this issue:

Defrag

The solution was to set the defrag schedule up within the Task scheduler for when you want it to run (probably monthly is sufficient). You could try this.

philc43, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Task Scheduler Issue

1. Task Scheduler Issue - Similar Threads - Task Scheduler Issue

2. Task Scheduler issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Task Scheduler issues: Pushbullet used to launch at Windows StartUp, but has recently stopped doing so. One of the options I have looked at, is to delay its launching. I know I can use 3rd part programs like Winpatrol, but believe that Task Scheduler can also do it. Two difficulties : Task...
  3. Task Scheduler Issue, Task Not Triggering At Specified Time

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Task Scheduler Issue, Task Not Triggering At Specified Time: hey everyone. any reason why a task i create does not run or trigger at the specified time? im running windows 10 20h2 with sleep settings set to never.i have made a test task that runs a batch file one liner: shutdown -h have tried just shutdown as well on a one time...
  4. Issues with task scheduler running on battery

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Issues with task scheduler running on battery: Hi all, I've been having trouble getting task scheduler to run a program (throttlestop for CPU undervolt) reliably on boot. It runs on AC but never on battery. My trigger is log on of any user. I've also tried on startup. As for config; its set up to run whether the user is...
  5. WINDOWS 10 Task Scheduler Issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    WINDOWS 10 Task Scheduler Issue: Hi all, I am having difficulty understanding why a task I've setup shows it has run and completed, but when I look in the event viewer logs this is not the case. The task I have configured runs when an event ID flags up within the event viewer. This works fine, except for...
  6. Scheduled Tasks

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Scheduled Tasks: I have found working with computers for the past 30 years that they don't make mistakes. Or if they do, they make them consistently. That being said, I use Scheduled Tasks and Robocopy to backup to different drives on the same, and different computers on the same network....
  7. Task Scheduler

in Windows 10 Support
    Task Scheduler: I have a relatively new install of Windows 10. I installed a new SSD and installed from scratch and then reinstalled all my software. I created some scheduled tasks, just 4 simple copy and paste tasks that I use for backing up. I've recently had to reinstall from scratch my...
  8. Task Scheduling issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Task Scheduling issue: So for past 5+ years I been using ccleaner to to automate the cleaning of temp dir and cookies upon system start up, via task scheduler and never had problem. I recently reinstalled windows 10 with clean install or 1803 as hell marry to see if it fixed the endless drivers...
  9. Task scheduler

in Windows 10 Support
    Task scheduler: I have created a task that will run once every night 01:00 on my Windows machine. It worked OK before upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. Now it doesn't. When I try to run it manually from Task Scheduler following error occurs: Task Scheduler service is not available. Task...
  10. Task Scheduler issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Task Scheduler issue: Been having this for some time now. I am on .14267 and for the last couple of builds I have been getting 'Task Scheduler is not available. Task Scheduler will attempt to reconnect to it'. Normally I can solve most problems but this has really baffled me and none of the...