Windows 10: Task Scheduler service won't start, properties are locked at Disabled. Windows 10/64 Home.

Discus and support Task Scheduler service won't start, properties are locked at Disabled. Windows 10/64 Home. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions! I can't start Task Scheduler service. In Services its Startup Type is Disabled. If I right-click on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by DaveThorson, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Task Scheduler service won't start, properties are locked at Disabled. Windows 10/64 Home.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!

I can't start Task Scheduler service. In Services its Startup Type is Disabled. If I right-click on Task Scheduler, the Start/Stop/Pause/Resume/Restart options are grey and can't be clicked. If I right-click and select Properties, all options on all tabs are grey and locked.

If I use Regedit to change Startup Type (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Schedule, Start) from 4 (Disabled) to 2 (Automatic), it gets reset to 4 about 20-30 seconds later. While Start is still set to 2, I can right-click in Services and the Start option is available. If I click it to start, I get this message:

Services
    Windows could not start the Task Scheduler service on Local Computer.
    Error 1058: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

If I try to run the Task Scheduler program from Computer Management, I get this error message:

Task Scheduler Service on the target computer cannot be contacted. Please ensure the service is

running properly and then use the "Connect to Another Computer" action to retry the connection.

If I try to run Task Scheduler from Cortana (type "Task Scheduler", click on Task Scheduler in the results list), I get this message:

Task Scheduler

The remote computer was not found.

This is blocking Windows Update, Disk Defrag, the Security-SPP (Software Protection) service fails every 30 seconds because Task Schedule not running, and many other things that try to run at at given time or interval.

So, what magical process keeps changing Task Scheduler's startup type from 2 to 4, and why is access blocked to change its properties? Why does Task Scheduler think I'm trying to connect to a remote PC?

I'm logged in as Administrator. I'm using Windows 10/64 Home with BitDefender antivirus, have Windows Defender set to do periodic scans (they probably never happen either). Malware Bytes shows nothing. Also using SecureAPlus (a whitelisting program that warns if anything new tries to run on my PC). I used to use McAffee antivirus (installed by Dell) and think this problem may have started when I removed it and switched to Bitdefender When I discovered this problem I had no Restore Points or image backups to recover from; it had been going on for too long.

Reinstalling Windows is not an option unless I know how to prevent this from happening in the future. I simple can't spend 2 weeks every quarter reinstalling my programs. I have run SFC /SCANNOW, and DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth

--- UPDATE a few minutes later ---

I found some help at https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/d60649ba-983d-4516-9452-4de0faadd4e2/task-scheduler-services-logon-tab-grayed-out?forum=winserver8gen. Recommendation there from Dave Patrick (Microsoft Certified Professional and MVP) on Nov 9, 2017 was:

You may need some elevated permissions. You could try;
    psexec -i -s cmd.exe
    to run as the system account (nt authority)
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/psexec
    then;
    services.msc

This let me change startup type in Services for Task Manager to Automatic, and properties were accessible for change. I started Task Manager and it ran without errors. Half a minute later it was stopped, startup type set to Disabled. This is as close as I've ever been to solving this in the past half-year. Still not working.

:)

DaveThorson, Sep 16, 2018

2. Task Scheduler service will not start.

Thank you for updating us. If Task Scheduler will not start, we suggest that you restart it. The service might be disabled that's why the task will not run. Follow the steps below to troubleshoot Task Scheduler.

• Click Start menu.
    • Type Services in the Start Search box.
    • Right-Click Services, and select Run as Administrator.
    • If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click
      Continue.
    • Right-click the Task Scheduler Service and select Restart.
    And have you tried running the System File Checker scan as an Administrator. For more information check this
    article. You can also perform DISM after performing SFC.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Reymichael Ros, Sep 16, 2018
  3. Task Scheduler service will not start.

ok, first, Restart is grayed out when i try to right click, only start is available. every time i select that i get the same "The Task Scheduler Service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some
    services stop automatically if not in use by other services or programs" message.

already tried SFC before asking, did not work. tried DISM, and that solved nothing.

grimdragon2001, Sep 16, 2018
  4. Task Scheduler service won't start, properties are locked at Disabled. Windows 10/64 Home.

Task Scheduler Service Could NOT RESTART - all button GRAYED - NOT ALLOWED to Start Service

I disabled Task Scheduler Service but later could not ENABLE this SERVICE - all button grayed - now can not run DiskDfrangment

It was disabled thru below process

pressing windows + X

then pressing computer management

then pressing Services and Applications

then pressing Services

then double clicking Task Scheduler to get properties

then was disabled

NOTE: Thousands of people facing this problem but proper step by step solution was not available in the net. So, it would be highly appreciated, if someone could provide step by step solution for ENABLING TASK SCHEDULER SERVICE, which is GRAYED, which
    is not ALLOWED to ENABLE on Services and Applications, the solution could be thru Registry or thru other method!!!

Radhika Shrestha - Waling10, Sep 16, 2018
Thema:

Task Scheduler service won't start, properties are locked at Disabled. Windows 10/64 Home.

1. Task Scheduler service won't start, properties are locked at Disabled. Windows 10/64 Home. - Similar Threads - Task Scheduler service

2. Task Scheduler service will not start no matter what

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Scheduler service will not start no matter what: I've had this issue for a bit over a year now, I've just never bothered to fix it because I never had an use for the service to begin with, but a lot of apps depend on it to be running and I'm now not even able to use NVIDIA ShadowPlay because of it, which is one of the few...
  3. Task Scheduler service will not start no matter what

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task Scheduler service will not start no matter what: I've had this issue for a bit over a year now, I've just never bothered to fix it because I never had an use for the service to begin with, but a lot of apps depend on it to be running and I'm now not even able to use NVIDIA ShadowPlay because of it, which is one of the few...
  4. Task Scheduler service will not start no matter what

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. task scheduler "disabled" issue, trying to fix. windows 10 home.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    task scheduler "disabled" issue, trying to fix. windows 10 home.: Hi,NOOB ALERT: I don't know what's going on and why this is happening. The task:I created a task to turn my PC off when my son is on it so it automatically powers down at a certain time in the evening if he's logged in. It worked fine for a few weeks, then it quit working...
  6. task scheduler "disabled" issue, trying to fix. windows 10 home.

task scheduler "disabled" issue, trying to fix. windows 10 home.: Hi,NOOB ALERT: I don't know what's going on and why this is happening. The task:I created a task to turn my PC off when my son is on it so it automatically powers down at a certain time in the evening if he's logged in. It worked fine for a few weeks, then it quit working...
  7. task scheduler "disabled" issue, trying to fix. windows 10 home.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Task Scheduler service won't start starts and stops for not being used!?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Task Scheduler service won't start starts and stops for not being used!?: So I've done absolutely nothing and all of a sudden when I opened my pc, Task Scheduler and other functions were missing windows search, keyboard language. I fixed search and language by running C:\Windows\System32\ctfmon.exe but I simply cannot start task scheduler. I've...
  9. Task Scheduler won't start? [FIXES]

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Task Scheduler won't start? [FIXES]: So I had this task scheduler problem for 3 month since I got a new laptop. I've looked for solution on this and other sites but no solution found. I go to the Youtube and see if anyone knows the solution, and I found it. It was by the Youtuber named ComputerSluggish...
  10. Task scheduler won't start

Task scheduler won't start: I have the problem whare the task scheduler in services is set to automatice but fails to start and log in is greyed out. I have tried many solutions and none have worked. However I did find a solution and it was down to my own error. I used a program called DISMPP-10 and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. task scheduler wont start on services

2. task scheduler grey out cannot start

3. task scheduler disabled cannot start

4. task scheduler service lock properties,
  5. windwos 2016 task scheduler is disabled and locked,
  6. Task scheduler every 30 seconds from startup