Windows 10: Task Scheduler - Trigger "At Logon" executes task BEFORE logon!?

Discus and support Task Scheduler - Trigger "At Logon" executes task BEFORE logon!? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Long story short: I ended up using the Task Scheduler to run a batch file when the user logs on, which is after the user entered and confirmed their... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/GGuts, May 17, 2020.

1. /u/GGuts Win User

Task Scheduler - Trigger "At Logon" executes task BEFORE logon!?

Long story short:

I ended up using the Task Scheduler to run a batch file when the user logs on, which is after the user entered and confirmed their password.

Or so I thought, because it's described like this on every site and every forum.

Yet for some reason the task runs immediately after Windows launches. I know this because I can already connect to the server, that is started when the task executes said batch file.

In the task I also have a condition specifying the user, that has to be logged on. The task is set to execute on logon, and the trigger is set to "on log on" as well.

So I can only assume, that this is a bug, that nobody every noticed? Very odd indeed.

submitted by /u/GGuts
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/GGuts, May 17, 2020
  2. jkh239WTF Win User

List all tasks triggered by logon

After logon there are MANY background update tasks (adobe, AV, MBAM, chrome, etc). I'm trying to determine how to list ALL tasks that are triggered by logon. Thanks in advance.

jkh239WTF, May 17, 2020
  3. usermark Win User
    scheduled task restart & logon

Ok, thanks Kari.
    You mis-understood. I haven't schedule two starts. The task is just one restart at 4AM. There is no second restart.

Your suggestion of a lockworkstation command at logon sounds interesting. But then you say "all it needs to do is to have Windows sign you in automatically". That's the million dollar question I am asking. Can you explain what you mean by that? How can you get windows to sign you in automatically at the scheduled restart at 4AM? I don't want to just remove the Windows password requirement altogether. I want an automatic logon with my password to be executed at 4AM. Is there a command in task scheduler that can do that?

Regarding your other suggestion: Programming a scheduled power-on in BIOS is going to have the same problem. It will power on and boot, but it will not log-on because it needs password entry. Then when I arrive in the morning and wake it up, I will be doing the initial logon and this will trigger the various maintenance and update tasks that follow an initial logon. I want a bootup and initial logon to occur automatically before I come to work, so that all the update and maintenance stuff that follows it can occur before I arrive.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks dalchina.
    The symantec scan is not scheduled on the windows task scheduler. It is built into the symantec client itself and I don't have editing priviledges, it is enforced by the organization.

Task Scheduler - Trigger "At Logon" executes task BEFORE logon!? [​IMG]

I have asked IT and they say "tough luck, you just have to live with it". Others have the same problem, but most are not as stubborn or insistent as me.

The problem is very noticeable when it occurs. It's noticable because sometimes when I start work the computer is very very slow in responding to my commands, starting programs, responding to clicks. And when i look under task manager/performance it is evident that the disc read/write is working at 100% continuously, and under processes it is usually windows processes or symantec processes or other things that I cant identify that are at work.

usermark, May 17, 2020
  4. BobWald Win User

Implementation of a hybrid IF(AND( trigger for Win-7 Task Scheduler

Hello to all,

I'm gaining a lot of experience using the Win-7 Task Scheduler to run taskseither at logon
    OR on a schedule of selected days and months.

Now, I need to schedule a task that runs
    ONLY when a logon occurs on specific days of specific months.

Conceptually this hybrid trigger would have to be a kind of nested
    IF(AND statement that runs the task ONLY
    if a logon occurs on Jan 11 or Mar 17 or Sep 19....etc.

Any help with this problem via the click-path within Task Scheduler is greatly appreciated.

However, if there is no solution going in that direction - can anyone suggest VBA code that would direct me down that, personally, is not so well trod path ?

Thanks again

BobWald, May 17, 2020
Thema:

1. Task Scheduler - Trigger "At Logon" executes task BEFORE logon!? - Similar Threads - Task Scheduler Trigger

2. Task Scheduler is not triggering

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Scheduler is not triggering: As usual having problems with sheduled tasks.- The task is running on Windows 11- it runs with higher privileges. Admin user with password- it should triggers every minute. The "next run time" is correct but it doesn't trigger. The history is enabled but doesn't giving any...
  3. Task Scheduler is not triggering

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task Scheduler is not triggering: As usual having problems with sheduled tasks.- The task is running on Windows 11- it runs with higher privileges. Admin user with password- it should triggers every minute. The "next run time" is correct but it doesn't trigger. The history is enabled but doesn't giving any...
  4. Task Scheduler Trigger not working.

Task Scheduler Trigger not working.: I am scheduling some jobs to get the reports from Citrix using PowerShell command. In Task scheduler server we have all required PowerShell Module Task run when I execute manually without any issue. When I set time in trigger it wont execute and not history available for...
  5. task scheduler trigger time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    task scheduler trigger time: the trigger time cannot be set with a PM. I use 12 hour time format and want a task to run at 7pm and there is no way to add pm or use 24 hour formatAny ideas would be appreciated...
  6. task scheduler trigger time

task scheduler trigger time: the trigger time cannot be set with a PM. I use 12 hour time format and want a task to run at 7pm and there is no way to add pm or use 24 hour formatAny ideas would be appreciated...
  7. Task Scheduler Task Not Triggering

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Task Scheduler Task Not Triggering: hi, any reason any task i create is not triggered at the time i set under one-time triggers? i've already tried a windows fresh install, new user account, dism, sfc, moving file to C: drive, checking to see if task scheduler service is set to automatic, checking and...
  8. Task scheduler screenshot trigger?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Task scheduler screenshot trigger?: So what event would you use for windows task scheduler if your trying to make it so everytime I take a rectangle screenshot with the snipping tool it automatically saves it to a folder? submitted by /u/Pacman042 [link] [comments]...
  9. scheduled task restart & logon

in Windows 10 Support
    scheduled task restart & logon: It is often the case that when I come to work in the morning and wake-up my desktop, automated programs get triggered and really slow down my computer and I can’t really do efficient work for a while, sometimes an hour or so. These include full disc scans mandated by the...
  10. Scheduled Tasks - Task Manager at logon but how get Performance tab?

in Windows 10 Support
    Scheduled Tasks - Task Manager at logon but how get Performance tab?: - I already have a Scheduled Task that starts Task Manager at every logon. But it always starts in the "Processes" tab. How can I make it start in the "Performance" tab? See screenshot: [img] Thanks. 73295

Users found this page by searching for:

1. scheduled task trigger user logon windoelws 10

2. Task Schedule trigger User Logon

3. scheduled task not triggering at logon