Windows 10: Task View on Multi-Monitor Setup Issue

Discus and support Task View on Multi-Monitor Setup Issue in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I have three monitors, one 4k and two 1080p ones on either side. When I go into task view, both side monitors go black. It still shows the bar... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by chpaxson, Nov 17, 2020.

1. chpaxson Win User

Task View on Multi-Monitor Setup Issue

Hi,

I have three monitors, one 4k and two 1080p ones on either side. When I go into task view, both side monitors go black. It still shows the bar at the top, and any icons of open applications, but does not show the little previews of the other desktops or open applications, nor even the desktop background if nothing is open. I have done a little bit of research and have not found anyone with a similar issue. Any help is greatly appreciated!

:)

chpaxson, Nov 17, 2020
  2. Seally Win User

Blurry text on secondary monitor in multi-resolution, multi-DPI setup

This is probably the most painful issue I have with Windows 10 right now (and likely previous versions as well, but I didn't have a multi-monitor setup back then).

The monitors I have are as follows:
    1. 3840x2160 (4K UHD) monitor with preferred DPI: 144 (150%)
    2. 1920x1080 (Full HD) monitor with preferred DPI: 96 (100%)

Whenever one of these monitors are set as primary, all desktop applications displayed on the secondary monitor (doesn't matter which) has blurry text. Exceptions are the Windows Store Apps like Windows Store and Microsoft Edge, along with the Taskbar/Start Menu, the Taskbar/Start Menu settings screen, the Taskbar context menu, and the desktop context menu which passes the DPI test with flying colours, with crispy text on both monitors (occasionally a DPI switch bug gets in, but I can mostly ignore that). The problem is, as you can probably guess, is that >99% of the applications I use aren't Windows Store Apps.

Here are some screenshots. The "Taskbar and Start Menu Properties" text is what the text should look like while the Visual Studio 2015 text is an example of the text most desktop apps get. The blurry image is what happens when the UHD monitor is not the primary monitor.
    Attachment 48493Attachment 48494
    Note: Both of these screenshots came from the 150% DPI monitor so it's best viewed at that (144) DPI level. The 96 DPI monitor is similarly affected.

Things I've already tried:
    • Reinstall the graphics driver (this was unhelpfully given by a Microsoft Support Engineer). Did this multiple times in fact for unrelated reasons.
    • Reinstall Windows 10 (through Reset This PC recovery option). I did this for also unrelated reasons but it definitely doesn't fix this issue.
    • Use the XP Explorer "fix". Merely worsens the problem.
    • Adjusting ClearType options. Alleviates the issue a bit but see next point.
    • Disabling ClearType on the affected monitor. The text obviously sharpens, but it's painful to read and a close inspection of the text reveals the issue isn't solved at all, only mitigated slightly.
    • Replacing the video card. I swapped this in with my older GTX 560 Ti but it's obvious the problem remains. Both it and my current card are NVIDIAs though, so it's vaguely possible the drivers or the cards themselves are the cause. I don't have an ATI/AMD card (that still works, at least) to test the setup and every Intel iGPU I have either has only one monitor output or is incapable of handling UHD resolutions.

Things I won't try:
    • Setting both monitors' DPI to 96. Text would become microscopic considering the UHD monitor's actual size.
    • Use the text resizing feature instead. I'm going take a wild guess that this is not monitor-specific and would cause everything on the HD monitor to be far too large to the point that I'd rather unplug it.

Does anyone have a multi-resolution, multi-DPI, multi-monitor setup with or without this issue? The text is painful to read on whichever is the secondary monitor right now, and is extremely apparent whenever the background is dark.

Seally, Nov 17, 2020
  3. Double Monitor Setup is not connecting

Hi Yuri,

To setup dual monitors, I suggest you to press Windows + P keys
    and select Extend or the required option and check for status. If you are still unable to setup dual monitor, suggest you to update the Display Adapter driver by following the steps provided below and check for status.

• Press Windows key + X and select Device Manager.
    • Expand Display Adapters.
    • Right click on the driver and select Update Driver Software.
    • Follow the on-screen prompts to update the driver.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Nov 17, 2020
  4. Pavan_N Win User

Setup dual monitor in Windows 10

Hi,

I suggest you to press Windows Key + P on keyboard and follow onscreen instruction to setup dual monitor in Windows 10. As there is a conflict in connecting multiple hardware you may also
    Run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with the Bluetooth adapter. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select
      Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to
      Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the
      view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

• Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.
    Do let us know the status of the issue. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Nov 17, 2020
Thema:

1. Task View on Multi-Monitor Setup Issue - Similar Threads - Task View Multi

2. Multi-tasking issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multi-tasking issue: I have a problem when I use programs, they use more Once in the task manager and this causes slow performance of the program .Multi-tasking see the pic plz https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/multi-tasking-issue/b1bb061c-1c79-4d27-be68-2a85d0caf0ce
  3. Multi-tasking issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multi-tasking issue: I have a problem when I use programs, they use more Once in the task manager and this causes slow performance of the program .Multi-tasking see the pic plz https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/multi-tasking-issue/b1bb061c-1c79-4d27-be68-2a85d0caf0ce
  4. Multi monitor setup mouse problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multi monitor setup mouse problem: Hi !I have setup of 4 monitors connected to 1 PC with Windows 11.Setup is 2x2 2 monitors top row and 2 monitors botom row.Problem is that when I move my mouse pointer from right bottom monitor to top right monitor it show up on left top monitor ... and i do not have a clue...
  5. Multi monitor setup mouse problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multi monitor setup mouse problem: Hi !I have setup of 4 monitors connected to 1 PC with Windows 11.Setup is 2x2 2 monitors top row and 2 monitors botom row.Problem is that when I move my mouse pointer from right bottom monitor to top right monitor it show up on left top monitor ... and i do not have a clue...
  6. Problem with multi Monitor Setup Microsoft Transient Multi-Monitor Manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem with multi Monitor Setup Microsoft Transient Multi-Monitor Manager: Hi everybody, I'm at the end of my wits. I recently got a new second monitor on my system win10, NVidia Geforce 1070, 2x MSI Optix MAG27 to name the relevant pieces and now the automatic monitor detection is bugging me. ProblemWhenever I'm switching my second monitor off...
  7. Issue with moving mouse between monitors in a multi-monitor setup

in Windows 10 Customization
    Issue with moving mouse between monitors in a multi-monitor setup: This might be a bit of an an usual problem, atleast I couldn't find anyone with a similar problem. I have 5 Monitors in a surround setup as one can see in this screenshot of my display organisation: [ATTACH] Moving the cursor or windows between monitors poses no problem...
  8. Multi-Monitor Setup using Laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Multi-Monitor Setup using Laptop: Hello, I want to connect my Lenovo laptop to TWO Dell monitors, so that will be 3 screens in total including the laptops screen. However I only need the laptop to act as a PC, I don't need its screen. As my Lenovo laptop only has a single HDMI output I purchased a Techole...
  9. Nvidia GameStream with a multi seat and multi monitor setup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Nvidia GameStream with a multi seat and multi monitor setup: Hi, I have a somewhat complex question. I am trying to force Nvidia GameStream (lets call it "GS" from now on) to start on my secondary monitor. I've read on the Nvidia forum that it can't be done, and have tried to tinker with it myself. No luck so far. I will try to note...
  10. Task View with Dual Monitors issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Task View with Dual Monitors issue: I have a dual monitor setup: - Main screen, where I work using different applications in different virtual desktops. - Secondary screen, where another application constantly running in the foreground (e.g.: showing a movie, youtube videos etc.), which I need to be...