Windows 10: Task View / Timeline is enabled but won't show recently opened files

Discus and support Task View / Timeline is enabled but won't show recently opened files in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, Task View / Timeline is enabled. It shows me my recent MS Edge history. But it won't show me the files I have recently opened. How can I get... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by SamL70, Apr 5, 2019.

1. SamL70 Win User

Task View / Timeline is enabled but won't show recently opened files

Hi,

Task View / Timeline is enabled. It shows me my recent MS Edge history.

But it won't show me the files I have recently opened.

How can I get Task View to show me the recently opened files?

I also observed that using File Explorer I am ALSO not able to see my recent files. I have been trying to enable the checkbox under View > Options > "Show recently used files in Quick access". I click apply. But the setting refuses to "stick" and whenever I come back to check on that setting it remains unchecked.

So I suspect there is a conflict between some of my privacy settings, my file explorer app settings, etc, that is causing Task View to fail to show the information about my recently opened files.

Please help.

Thanks.

:)

SamL70, Apr 5, 2019

2. Timeline only shows open tasks from a single monitor

I have two displays. Monitor 1 has Firefox and Word open. Monitor 2 has File Explorer and Task Manager open.

If I open Timeline on monitor 1, it shows only Firefox and Word (along with past activities for various programs). It doesn't show File Explorer and Task Manager. If I open Timeline from monitor 2, I see those 2 programs open, but not Firefox and Word.

With the old Task View, I'm pretty sure it would show open windows for all programs regardless of which display they were on. Is there any way to make Timeline work this way? Or, can I get rid of Timeline and get the old Task View back?

PhotoCitizen, Apr 5, 2019
  3. Timeline (after April feature patch): How do I see it? It is enabled, but there is nothing (Task View)

"Activity history" in Settings has both options checked (collect from this PC, sync to cloud).

According to a webpage that explains the new "Timeline" it should be in the "Task View". However, when I click on the Task View button I get - the Task View (as it always was). Looking at collected activity data for my account on microsoft's website shows
    a lot of entries.

Where is the Timeline view hiding???

For a feature that is listed as one of only four new main features of the April patch it is VERY well hidden!

Mörre Noseshine, Apr 5, 2019
  4. Task View / Timeline is enabled but won't show recently opened files

Timeline Activity not showing up

The timeline activity just won't show up on the timeline window. I always get "Use your PC more for activities."

I have enabled the settings required for timeline in Privacy > Activity History:

Let Windows collect my activities

Let Windows Sync my activities

Show activities from accounts

I also tried using regedit to add these variables in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System

• EnableActivityFeed
    • PublishUserActivities
    • UploadUserActivities
    All the variables are set to 1, and are DWORD values. (as stated in this article Timeline feature not working in Windows 10), to no effect.

Any more troubleshooting steps I can go through?

HiranmayaGundu, Apr 5, 2019
Thema:

Task View / Timeline is enabled but won't show recently opened files

1. Task View / Timeline is enabled but won't show recently opened files - Similar Threads - Task View Timeline

2. How to automatically show Taskbar in Timeline Task view?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to automatically show Taskbar in Timeline Task view?: 1. I prefer my Taskbar auto-hidden. 2. When I swipe from the left to open Timeline =Task view, I want the Taskbar to show automatically within Timeline, at the bottom. 3. I don't want to move the mouse or take a second step to show Taskbar, because I don't use a mouse....
  3. Timeline/task view

Timeline/task view: How TF do I disable this absolutely annoying feature that microsoft's geniuses decided to add??? I have never used it and never want to use it. I do not want it at all. I'm f'ing sick of this stupid bs commandeering my desktop workspace. I try to move my cursor to adjust a...
  4. Windows 10 Task View / Timeline

Windows 10 Task View / Timeline: After years of flawless operation, Task View / Timeline now only shows accessed files word, excel, pdf, and so on and random web activity for instance, among 7 or 8 web pages I have accessed, it only shows one or two or even none at all. Any suggestions for fixing? I have...
  5. Task View timeline does not show web pages

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Task View timeline does not show web pages: The Windows 10 Task View timeline is not showing web pages. It only shows file explorer windows that have been opened. It used to show previous web pages accessed going back several days. I have been unable to find any settings that would correct this....
  6. Timeline and Task View

Timeline and Task View: I have an item on my Task View screen which I can't remove with standard procedures. Help, please! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/timeline-and-task-view/2c37fe18-da37-4345-9b76-0f6ad512c375
  7. Task View won't open links

in Cortana
    Task View won't open links: Hi, When I enter Task View it shows all my previous entries. When I click on an Internet entry it no longer opens the link. I'm not sure why it is doing this, as it worked before. I'm on 1903. Is anyone else experiencing this, or has a possible troubleshooting fix?...
  8. WIN10 Task view did not show opened file

WIN10 Task view did not show opened file: I got a problem with my task view. After reinstall WIN10 due to some hang up problem, the task view only show file that was open from internet explorer or onedrive. All other file opened from local drive did not show in task view. If I keep onedrive open and in sync mode,...
  9. Task View & Timeline

Task View & Timeline: Hello, Have a user that cannot sign into the "Timeline" within "Task View", for myself i click it and it does a MS account check and logs right in. For this user however it just brings up the "Your Info" page from within settings, which he's signed in with a O365 Domain...
  10. task view is not showing my recent activity

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    task view is not showing my recent activity: Hello,I have a problem with the task view not showing recent activity.The problem began after an update came a week ago and even today there is an update which also did not solve my problem and after shutting down and beginning my normal work then comes a notification to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. task view to view recently open files