Windows 10: Taskbar, action centre and start menu not working

Discus and support Taskbar, action centre and start menu not working in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My start menu does not open the windows key on the keyboard doesn't open it, my taskbar search is not opening, my apps on pinned can't be accessed by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by AndrePang2, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Taskbar, action centre and start menu not working

My start menu does not open the windows key on the keyboard doesn't open it, my taskbar search is not opening, my apps on pinned can't be accessed by right-clicking, and my action center does not open, even when swiping the screen, plus some of the icons eg. wifi, volume, battery won't open on clicking. Does anyone know any potential causes and remedies? I've tried the command ones, and the file explorer restart method a few times already and I'm on the latest version of all updates.

:)

AndrePang2, Mar 16, 2021
  2. Trapper Win User

Start menu tiles and Notification/Open Action Centre dissappeared!

Strange, my start menu left click that used to open the coloured start menu with 'tiles' has stopped working. I can only right click to access the 'grey' listing. If I do left click I see the blue spinning wheel for a couple of seconds but nothing appears.
    Also the icon for 'New Notifications' has stopped as well, when clicked I used to see a slide out popup asking me if I would recommend W10 to a friend but not now. If I right click to 'Open Action Centre' nothing happens.

Any suggestions as to how to fix them?

Many thanks.

Trapper, Mar 16, 2021
  3. robgr Win User
    Action Centre icon greyed out

Hi,
    The Action Centre icon is missing from the system tray and the switch appears on but is greyed out in the taskbar settings
    Both the group policy & the registry appear correct
    The Win key + A key combination does nothing and neither does clicking the 'Edit your quick actions' link (which is red?) in Notifications & actions settings (Above here it says 'Some settings are hidden or managed by your organisation)?
    It suggests a group policy is enforced!
    Not certain when this behaviour started
    Details are 1809 18282.1000
    Any ideas?

robgr, Mar 16, 2021
  4. Pavan_N Win User

Taskbar, action centre and start menu not working

Start menu and taskbar not working.

Hi Deva,

Thank you for updating.

I suggest you to refer the link below and follow the troubleshooting steps suggested.

Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana.

Fix problems with the Start menu

Hope the Start menu works after performing the steps suggested. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Mar 16, 2021
Thema:

Taskbar, action centre and start menu not working

1. Taskbar, action centre and start menu not working - Similar Threads - Taskbar action centre

2. Some Windows elements suddenly stopped working Start menu, action centre, taskbar icons

in Cortana
    Some Windows elements suddenly stopped working Start menu, action centre, taskbar icons: Context:My laptop has been running perfectly, and was running perfectly earlier today. After installing new drivers, and plugging my laptop into an external monitor, this issue has suddenly occurred. My Thoughts:I feel like the external monitor and drivers are unrelated,...
  3. Action Centre not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Action Centre not working: Why can't I turn action center off or on? I am using Windows 10 version 20H2 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/action-centre-not-working/d0d693b1-236e-4f34-a3db-977ae9d6334f
  4. Action Centre not working

Action Centre not working: I have a brand new Surface Pro 7. Gone through all the updates, so running 20H2 19042.870. The action centre is not working or mostly not working. - sometimes empty of everything no buttons, no messages - sometimes the buttons are greyed out, but will ungrey if I wait...
  5. Start menu, action centre and others not working. Please Help!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu, action centre and others not working. Please Help!: Firstly my action centre, battery icon, volume and wifi icon weren’t working as when I would press on them nothing would happen, so I renamed the UsrClass.dat file. After that the start menu wouldn’t work and would come up with critical error when you press on on it. I’ve...
  6. Action Centre Not Working

Action Centre Not Working: Hi, Action Centre is not opening when I click. The icon says 1 message but I cannot open it and it won't open by itself. Please help. Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/action-centre-not-working/16b0de8f-14e4-432b-870a-4c6d0f1f4bc6
  7. Start, taskbar and action centre

Start, taskbar and action centre: Since latest update for Windows 10 the Above features are greyed out. I have tried changing to Custom under Personalisation>Colours>Chose your Colour, but this does not work anymore. It did a couple of weeks ago. I really do not like having the Task Bar and Start menu in...
  8. Colours - Start, TaskBar and Action Centre

Colours - Start, TaskBar and Action Centre: The box to choose accent colour for Start, Task bar and Action Centre is greyed out. How can I make it selectable?[IMG][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/colours-start-taskbar-and-action-centre/f63980bb-c5ae-4cb1-85a4-82623439acde
  9. Start menu tiles and Notification/Open Action Centre dissappeared!

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu tiles and Notification/Open Action Centre dissappeared!: Strange, my start menu left click that used to open the coloured start menu with 'tiles' has stopped working. I can only right click to access the 'grey' listing. If I do left click I see the blue spinning wheel for a couple of seconds but nothing appears. Also the icon for...
  10. Start Menu / Action Centre notworking after update to 10074

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu / Action Centre notworking after update to 10074: As the title says, some strange behaviour! In addition to the headline, it also seems to take a while to "recover" after exiting a full screen app (IE icons reappearing, volume icon etc) Do we think this is likely to be fixed in the near future via WU? 5715